registry and owner change at the same time

Hi,

a client wants me to effect an owner and a registry change at the same time. Is that possible and how would I need to do this?

When a domain is unlocked, and asked by the new registry to be transferred and the person demanding the transfer provides the AUTH-ID and the old owner agrees to the change, does it matter whether the new owner is not the same as the old one?

C.

The domain owner information is important from the perspective of authorization from the doamin owner of the registrar change. Therefore, I would suggest, perform the registrar change first, once that's completed (depending on the domain extension, it can take upto about 5 days); once the registrar has been successfully changed, then go for the domain owner change through the new registrar.

My own approach to this echoes the good advice given by Creativhost.

As you are losing the domain anyway, I would certainly completely avoid becoming actively involved in the change of ownership and simply deal with the transfer.

This will limit your exposure to the possibility of any future issues regarding the former which will become the new Registrar's responsibility and not yours. Best wishes.

Hi,

I am no registry ;-) And there will be absolutely no issues, the problem is that the old owner doesn't want to register at the new registry as an owner and pay there. And the new owner already has an account there which has money already on hold there.

Quote Originally Posted by chortaj View Post
    a client wants me to effect an owner and a registry change at the same time. Is that possible and how would I need to do this?

... does it matter whether the new owner is not the same as the old one?
    I guess you are talking about REGISTRAR and ownership change.

The usual practice for most industry insiders would be to PUSH the specific domain into a separate account of the SAME registrar (ownership change), AND THEN let the new owner do the registrar change later himself.

This would fulfill the obligation for ownership change, and avoid any risk in registrar transfer. After all, the latter is NOT necessary for the former.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Hi,

yeah, but the NEW owner doesn't want to register an account with the old registry either ;-)

Plus the domains will be up for renewal soon.

C.

I don't know whether the registry will allows a transfer like this. If they do, then the only thing you need is a written consent from both sides that they agree the change of ownership over the domain name to be made. You need this to make sure you will not be blamed for anything from any of the sides.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Most registrars allow potential clients to create free accounts with them, and you may advise them that doing a "push" actually better protects both parties, because registrar transfer by nature has a higher risk of going wrong.

Of course I have also successfully transferred domains to new owners at another registrars, but I guess "your mileage may vary" (i.e. it really depends on respective registrars). More importantly, by allowing a registrar change BEFORE that of ownership, the existing owner risks losing the domain for good without any proof of ownership change. Almost ALL escrow services check for the latter in order to release payment.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Hi,

the old registry is joker.com, the new name.com. There's no exchange of money involved. This is no sale.

C.

As long as you are entirely happy that it is substantially verified that the original owner agrees to the transfer of ownership, that can go ahead at any time and will automatically benefit from 1 year's extension within the transfer fee.

However, I don't quite understand why you are getting involved in this at all if you are not in any way a Registrar as you said above? If you are not a Registrar surely just refer your client to the existing one in every respect.

Hi Chris,

so the danger you're all talking about here would only be the refusal of the old owner? Will such a transfer-including-ownershipchange need more than just email confirmations, given those two registries?

I am involved because the new owner is a client of mine and the old owner is the brother of the client. There's going to be no hassle between the two, none of them really know their way around registering domains or changing relevant technical info and both explicitly trust me.

The main question for me is rather simple: if the new registry presents the AUTH-ID and the old owner and the old admin contacts agree to a transfer (including the ownerchange) and the new owner agrees to the whole procedure, will that take place without major hassle (like sending to and fro of ID cards or additional payments).

C.

Hi chortaj. I really don't see any issue here from what you have said.

Simply get the first brother to arrange a very straight-forward transfer of ownership via the existing Registrar who will let them know what ID, etc., is required. That is the safest and most pain free way and I am sure that will be without issue. Where the domain is subsequently transferred to after that is an entirely movable feast and completely uncomplicated.

Best wishes.

EDIT

I miss-advised you by saying that the transfer of ownership will benefit from a 1 year's extension. That only applies to inter-registrar transfers. My apologies for that. Half asleep.
    Last edited by Mach4-Chris; 08-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.