Exclamation Dedicated Server in HK (Many questions)

Hello all,

I am looking for a dedicated server in Hong Kong.

Currently i am using a dedicated server for 69 euro / month in France with those specifications:

• Processeur : Intel Core2Duo E2200
    • RAM :2 Go DDRII
    • Disque dur : 2 x 500 Go SATAII
    • Carte RAID 0/1:+10 EUR HT/mois
    • Adresses IP: 3 adresses
    • Bande passante : 100 Mbps
    • Systθme : Debian, Centos, Fedora, OpenBSD
    • Monitoring : 24h/24 - 7 jours/7

I use this server to host a document management website called Knowledge Tree (Document Sharing)

I want to switch to an HK server to allow fast speed from China and Europe. Right now, the upload speed from China is too slow as the server is in France, moving it to HK shall allow a fast upload speed from China, while keeping a fast upload speed from Europe, which is well connected with HK.

Could you please advice me a good company in HK, which could provide me the same configuration around the same price ?

Thanks for your advices

Don't know any provider in HK but maybe singapore will do?

Check http://shinjiru.com/webHosting/sgDedicatedServers.asp

On the other hand, check a provider that is using an he.net network as it has good speed also in china.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

From my experience, Singapore is not that good to serve pages to China.

HK is best served from our server in Tokyo than from our Singapore server and latency between Singapore and Shanghai is simple horrible.

To rent a server "inside" China you face the world's most bureacratic laws and regulations governing Internet use.

As a side note, France is not the best location to serve Europe as well.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 08-10-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by hkdedicated View Post
    moving it to HK shall allow a fast upload speed from China, while keeping a fast upload speed from Europe, which is well connected with HK.
    Don't want to spoil to much, but did you some tests on this ? we have a client with a server in HK, and i can't say the speeds to there are, as you put it, well connected.

Make sure you can do some tests before going this way. Maybe there are other solutions.

Dear All,

Thanks for your great answer.

Seems many of you are saying that HK is maybe not the best place to host our server.

I would like to clarify my situation:

Right now, i have office in Hong Kong - Shanghai - and Sweden.

The priority is:

1/ Get a good upload speed from China, HK, Europe.

2/ Get a good download speed from Europe.

Right now with the server in France:

1/ Upload speed is super fast from Europe.
    2/ Slow upload from China (20 KB/S)
    3/ Fast download from everywhere (180kbs in Shanghai - 700 KBS in europe).

So as you can see, my priority is to find a place where upload speed can be good.

Would you please have any suggestion ?

Thanks and Best Regards

Lightbulb Anyone ?

A little up ... Thx for helping !

If your download speed is good enough from where you are in China, i would probably think it is not the distance you have the issue with; as the download goes well; the upload does not; which might be a limitation of your ISP (did you check if uploads locally do get higher throughput ?) and if so; did you try this also to different overseas locations, france is is not always the best location for international traffic, rather would check out locations as UK (LINX), Netherlands (AIX) and Germany (DE-CIX)where the major internet exchanges of Europe are located.

Exclamation Complementary Info

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

1/ Actually, i tried an upload with Rapidshare, the upload speed is very good. Then with my webhosting company the speed is quiet slow for upload. It doesn't seems to come from any ISP limitation.

2/ If i do a speed test, i get upload speed of 0.24 MB.

Would you have any suggestion about web hosting company in germany where i could test the speed before hand ?

Thanks.

Hello,

Would you have any suggestion about web hosting company in germany where i could test the speed before hand ?

Thanks.
    Try to contact some, i am sure they are willing to help you especially when you explain why you need to test.

International bandwidth or Dedicated China bandwidth in Hong Kong is what you need to get speedy access into China from Hong Kong.

Take a look on http://www.sunnyvision.com/ dedicated servers in HK, we use them and gave us a great experience.
    • UnderHost Inc. • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Panama - United States - Russia •

Exclamation Thx

Thx for recommending this company.

The only pain point is their price...

Anyway i still asked them to provide me a test drive to assess of the speed from europe to hk and china to hk.

Thanks for ur advices

Thx for recommending this company.

The only pain point is their price...

Anyway i still asked them to provide me a test drive to assess of the speed from europe to hk and china to hk.

Thanks for ur advices
    Hong Kong bandwidth are really expensive you will not be able to found cheap dedicated servers provider in HK.
    • UnderHost Inc. • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Panama - United States - Russia •

BTW checking your server out the HK one Current Load 18.29 ouch.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Quote Originally Posted by UnderHost View Post
    Hong Kong bandwidth are really expensive you will not be able to found cheap dedicated servers provider in HK.
    Bandwidth prices in Hong Kong is falling rapidly as well.