Thread: Client Problem

Client Problem

Hey everyone,

I need your help with something my mate was working for a hosting company in the past and they had alot of clients and then the company closed and now my mate had been contacted by him saying he owns him money but i told him that if the money wasn't send to your paypal account then you don't own him anything and the owner told the client that my mate owns him it as he was incharge.

i just want to see what you think as the money was send to the owners account and know the Clients is keep spamming, etc asking him for he's money, who do you think owns him the money and what would you do to stop the person from contacting you?

So from what I understand the clients think your friend owes them money, and the owner who allowed your friend to manage the company, thinks he owes him money?

Were there any contracts? Was service provided for as long as "stated". For instance did they get billed for a monthly subscription, your friend provided 30 days of hosting, then closed the doors and didn't charge anymore?

If so, then no he doesn't owe them anything.

Also, even if service was stopped during a subscription period, the owner is in charge of that, not the manager.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

The owner should be taking responsibility for any debt the company has. Direct the client back to the owner and inform them there is nothing more your friend can do. Was the company registered with any government authority and if so, who's name was it under?

IMO, if the company was registered with a government authority under the owners name, the domain names whois displays the owners name and if the PayPal account is in the owners name, then I see no way your friend owes money to anyone affiliated with the hosting company.

Yikes! Sounds like a really annoying situation to be in.

I am guessing the business is now in your friends name and no longer in the original owners name. IF the original owner was paid for it, it is not the responsibility of your friend to provide service on something that HE was never paid for.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

If I understand the OP correctly, then
    The Owner is responsible for controling the business &
    The manager[OPs mate] is responsible for the [basic/daily]management.

My first questions would be 'WHO' closed the business & 'WHY' ?
    followed by what country is your mate, the business and the owner from ?
    and 'How Much' $$$$ are involveved ?

Sounds like it is the responsibility of the owner and he is just trying to push it off on your friend. If it escalates anymore, your friend will probably need to seek legal advice from an attorney.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

* Don't Make Me Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Rooney View Post
    Hey everyone,

I need your help with something my mate was working for a hosting company in the past and they had alot of clients and then the company closed and now my mate had been contacted by him saying he owns him money but i told him that if the money wasn't send to your paypal account then you don't own him anything and the owner told the client that my mate owns him it as he was incharge.

i just want to see what you think as the money was send to the owners account and know the Clients is keep spamming, etc asking him for he's money, who do you think owns him the money and what would you do to stop the person from contacting you?
    Here in America it is pretty simple according to the law.

The person responsible for the bills is the owner of the company, not the manager of the company.

If the owner of the company so chooses to duck his responseabilities then the courts have to take it up with the owner. That is a civil matter
    Professional Plesk Webhosting.
    No overselling.
    Always available for you.
    http://www.64bithost.com - 1-352-3164619

No one owes anyone anything...The Owner should act like one. He is an entrepreneur and in any entrepreneurial position...you take responsiblity for yourself and most of all your business. It is not the manager's fault that the business failed because the owner is over the manager anyday. Hope this helps. Bye

Sorted!

Hey, thanks for you help i told him to tell the client to speak to the owner and if he got anything to say to him go thought he's lawyer

Good. Im glad the members of this forum could be of some help. Everyone should learn to take a bit of responsibility now and again. If you run a business, the business is your responsibility no matter who you place in charge. You can fire them if you find they are not doing a good job but you can charge them for that because they never stole from you and they are definitley not a "partner or director" in the firm to share in its profits or losses. They only get a meager "salary".