In Search of Hosting...

So is everyone else in the world, right? I figured I might get good, reliable hosts if I post here asking about it.

What I do/My Needs
    Currently, I only run personal-type websites.
    Mostly, these are forums with about 20-40 users each, for online roleplaying. We hope to grow these numbers.
    Some of these are also things like online portfolios, and just random sites created for fun.
    I need PHP and MySQL, of course.
    I also want Cpanel and PHPMyAdmin.
    I need multiple domain support.
    Multiple addresses per domain would be great, too.

Currently, we are hosted through the other owner's buddy, but they are not a web host, they do remote back up and stuff, so they don't have Cpanel and some of the other things that I'd typically expect with a host.

One that I've seen that kind of interested me was Web Hosting Pad. It's cheap, at $1.99 a year if you do a 3 year package. We're college students, so price is definitely a factor.

We will be looking to make the swap in probably a month, month and a half.

Any idea on space/bandwidth requirements? Do you need an auto installer like Fantastico De Luxe or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by fox0r View Post
    So is everyone else in the world, right? I figured I might get good, reliable hosts if I post here asking about it.

What I do/My Needs
    Mostly, these are forums with about 20-40 users each, for online roleplaying. We hope to grow these numbers.
    Some of these are also things like online portfolios, and just random sites created for fun.

Currently, we are hosted through the other owner's buddy, but they are not a web host, they do remote back up and stuff, so they don't have Cpanel and some of the other things that I'd typically expect with a host.

One that I've seen that kind of interested me was Web Hosting Pad. It's cheap, at $1.99 a year if you do a 3 year package. We're college students, so price is definitely a factor.

Just to clarify, WebHostingPad charges $1.99/month if you go with the 3 year package. They don't seem to offer a monthly payment option (which is always recommended, at least for the first few months), and their lowest price at $4.95/mo is for if you purchase an annual package.

The best way to buy hosting is to find an affordable monthly package that meets your disk space and bandwidth needs, then to buy your domain separately elsewhere, rather than pay more for an unlimited package that forces you to pay years in advance and has control over your domain with some free domain offer.

I have bad experiences with contracts...

Does it really matter? $1.99/month, or $4.99/Month, C'mon we all spend more than that for a single meal.

If you're serious with what you're doing, I recommend forget about the price factor.

If you're just having fun, heck, USE A FREE ONE!
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

do not go for the cheapest and unlimited packages...its my idea..

I think that cheap hosts are usually not as good, so I wouldn't trust those, but you can give it a try, by browsing this forum or looking through in Google.

There are many hosts here who meet your requirements that wouldn't cost much. Like other here have said: beware of long-term contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    Does it really matter? $1.99/month, or $4.99/Month, C'mon we all spend more than that for a single meal.

If you're serious with what you're doing, I recommend forget about the price factor.

If you're just having fun, heck, USE A FREE ONE!
    I'll agree with that. it's just a few cents a day and it's definitely worth the investment if you put your minds to it - a few bucks a month shouldn't make too much of a difference in your entire financial life.

hmmm, $1.99 a month, even for 3 years seems a little sketchy... In most cases, when starting somewhere new, I always suggest testing it out 3-6 months, in a monthly hosting contract. It might cost a little more up front, but it could save you a ton, if the host isn't up to acceptable standards. As with any hosting search, check out the forum here and google the hosting company, with any doubt, any good or bad comments on the company will show up for your review! Good Luck!

PS.... Cheap Hosting means.....Cheap Hosting...
    Last edited by twhnman; 08-28-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot somehting
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by fox0r View Post

What I do/My Needs

I think you meant to say $1.99 a month.

What sort of space requirements / bandwidth are you looking at? If its just a small amount starting out, then I'd suggest a free host like 110mb.com and I'd also suggest not going outright for the three year contract as that gets a bit messy and if they do a bad job, you'd be stuck. So it's best to pay a few months at a time, even if it costs more, it lets you know how the host is and if you feel comfortable you can go for the yearly deal at the time.
    Nothing here right now.

$1.99 a year if you do a 3 year package.
    Given the price, you can probably expect to share the server with 1000+ other customers. For personal, small sites, I expect it would work out fine. For any site that is successful, even on the mild side of the notion, I would go for a safer route and give the host a chance to make a profit.