Question Urgent question about domain expiry and renewal

Guys

I have urgent question about domain expire and renewal.

My one domain is almost expired, expiry date was 8th August 2009. Suddenly today I checked and find that domain is expired. Let me know for how long domain will be with me once it is expire or for how many days I am able to expire it.

Second as above my one domain is almost expire on 8th August and second will be expired on 14th August. I was planning to transfer these domains to Godaddy (right now these are not with GoDaddy). Does rules allow to transfer domains in my domains current situation i.e. one is almost expire and second domain has 5 domains to expire.

Please reply so I may renew domains accordingly.

Regards

GCS

You'd better go to the website of your current registrar and to read their domain policy. If it is not stated clear, just ask them. I think that the first domain names has already gone... I mean you can only renew it through the company that registered it for you. The other one should be also renewed through the same registrar, because there is no time a transfer to be accomplished.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

ICANN rules do NOT forbid expired (yes, EXPIRED) domains to be transfer away (as long as they are not in the RGP). HOWEVER, MOST registrars would reject that, and some even do so as early as 30 days ahead.

For your reference: Tucows (OpenSRS) does NOT deny that (transferring away expired domains), and I have successfully transferred domain names right on the expiry date.

Having said that, I do NOT recommend that unless you are very familiar with working with BOTH losing and gaining registrars. If I were you, I would renew BOTH domains at your existing registrars and transfer later, and avoid any unnecessary hassle.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Guys,

As I read/advised/written above domain transfer rules are proved wrong.

I transferred (automatically got 1 year renewal) one domain just 1-2 days of expiry and not only my domain was renewed but also successfully transferred to Godaddy. When I initiated transfer then expiry date was updated on same day while transfer was in process. So in short domain transfer was initiated 2 days before expiry and is successfully transferred and working fine.

I initiated transfer of second domain AFTER 2 DAYS of expiry. And expiry date of this domain is updated and transfer of this domain will complete on 22nd August. Is this wonderful? Transfer/Renewal of domain after expiry and it is working.

GCS

Quote Originally Posted by globalcashsite View Post
    Transfer/Renewal of domain after expiry and it is working.
    Like I said, transfer after expiry is always allowed by ICANN; it's the LOSING (NOT GAINING) registrars that matter.

And renewals after expiry of course go though; isn't that what Redemption and grace periods are all about?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.