Overusing the shared resources

If the task manager on my windows VPS is telling me that I am using the CPU at 100% does this mean that I am overusing the shared resources or does this mean I am using my allocation of the CPU at 100%?

Depends on how it is setup, some share the CPU, some can allocate a certain amount, some can even define a core to your VPS . Can be overselling the CPU. You can be using all of your CPU allocation. In taskmgr, what does the processes look like in your VPS? Anything look as if it might be making it use extensive resources?
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

Quote Originally Posted by MyWinsVPS View Post
    Depends on how it is setup, some share the CPU, some can allocate a certain amount, some can even define a core to your VPS . Can be overselling the CPU. You can be using all of your CPU allocation. In taskmgr, what does the processes look like in your VPS? Anything look as if it might be making it use extensive resources?
    I know that is me running cpu intensive software, I want to know am I OK to run the cpu at 100% without affecting the other users?

Quote Originally Posted by dc123 View Post
    I know that is me running cpu intensive software, I want to know am I OK to run the cpu at 100% without affecting the other users?
    The only way to get a definitive answer to this would be to contact your VPS provider and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dc123 View Post
    Your first question left it at an abroad of infinitive answers. As ItsJustHosting stated, contact your provider and see if it is affecting other users. As stated in my first post, VPS are setup in many different ways.
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

Quote Originally Posted by MyWinsVPS View Post
    Your first question left it at an abroad of infinitive answers. As ItsJustHosting stated, contact your provider and see if it is affecting other users. As stated in my first post, VPS are setup in many different ways.
    So there is no way for me to know using the task manager etc. I notice there is a show all user processes checkbox on the task manager.

I would say that there is no way unless you contact your provider. I do not know how the provider might have theirs setup, I can only tell you on how ours is setup. In ours, if you select "Show All Users" it will just show the normal users

Example: Administrator, System, Local Service, Network Service etc..

Will not show other users or other clients that are on the actual dedicated box or any other VPS on the box. I have not rented any other VPS from any other company, so I do not know how theirs might work. Trying to not get in to much of the area of sales as it is against the forum rules, but can only describe what I know in this area about how we do it.

You are best to contact the host and ask them how they operate their VPS hosting.

I'd say if you were using 100% of the host CPU your VPS would have been shut down by now. Which type of virtualization are you using?