* Web Hosting Setup..Please Advise

Hello,

I have ordered a T1 Line and within the next few weeks the biz will be up and running. Here is the setup I have done that I am still doing some testing but I would like to get some input and/ord advise from people who are experts in the field...The setup I have is:

Win 2k Adv Server with IIS 5.x, URLScan and IISLockdown
    MS Ftp or Serv-U Ftp
    Simple DNS
    Xmail Server or Merak Mail Server
    SQL 2000
    Hosting Controller or Command Matrix (which one is better?)
    VisNetic Firewall or Norton Firewall (which one is better?)
    Norton Antivirus with Web Security for HTTP/FTP
    Some log monitoring software? (any one has any suggestions?)

I would like to get input from anyone about any of those specially for firewall and antivirus and hosting controlling software. The T1 will come with a cisco router however I still want to hve some kind of firewall software on the systems so I can monitor the incoming and outgoing traffic. Also some log monitoring or intrusion detection. What about some backup software? Should I Invest in that or should i just use Windows Backup Utility..Also Any additional recommendtations for keeping Windows box secured..Personally I am a *NIX FAN!!!! but the windows servers are a must for some clients I have. As for the physical servers here is what I have so far...

1 Server for Mail
    2 Dns Servers
    1 FTP/HTTP/SQL Server (this is IP based domains)
    1 FTP/HTTP Server (IPLess Domains)

Thanks in ADVANCE!!!

You don't need Advanced Server if you are not clustering multiple servers! It is more expensive and you don't get any additional features not related to clustering/load balancing with it.

Also, if you plan on running any significant databases, I would recommend getting SQL onto another box.

Did you look into colocating your server in a data center with a burstable connection? You can pay a similar (or often less) amount of money for the connection while obtaining redundancy, burstability and redundant power w/ UPS and generator back up.

Just a thought. A T1 only comes with a max of 1.54Mbps which can be used up easily.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of your questions...

Merak is a great product for the money. I would highly recommend it for your mail server.

MS W2K comes with Microsoft DNS and FTP although I think Serv-U may be a better FTP product.

For your firewall, I think you would be better off with a hardware solution so your firewall is not on the same machine as your webserver. This provides extra security and the firewall is still working in the event your server locks up.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

I see..thanks for the tips..I had orignally planned to run SQL on a seperate server but HostingController doesnt allow some features if SQL Server is remotely and now that I have test HostingController..its too buggy I am trying command Matrix as I am writing this..Are there any other control panels that I should try? As for the firewall I guess no firewall on the systems then..personally I dont like MS Dns and MS Ftp..thats why i choose Simple Dns and Serv U Ftp..I did look into co locating but I want to have control over the systems as a in house hosting.. I prefer that and plus my clients prefer that as well rather than having it co located..As for the bandwith for T1 yes I am aware I only get around 475gigs/month if i use it all the time which is not much but hopefully within a month or two I know for a fact i will be adding additional T1sS or if not a T3..Thanks

There's another thread on this right now on this board, but...

Do you REALLY need a control panel on Win2k? Every GUI you need to admin the box can be placed on the desktop and you can term serve into the box, right?
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003
    Server Hardware, Storage, and Turnkey systems for Service Providers

Xmail Server or Merak Mail Server
    >> X mail is good but it dosent offer webmail
    Hosting Controller or Command Matrix (which one is better?)
    >> The Command Matrix has been gr8 so far, I suggest you try its demo. It has its own MAIL SERVER .
    VisNetic Firewall or Norton Firewall (which one is better?)
    >> Norton is better...
    Norton Antivirus with Web Security for HTTP/FTP
    >> do you really need so much software for security? it will hog the system down!!
    Some log monitoring software? (any one has any suggestions?)
    >> try urchin. its really good!

backup software is a must, try using norton system works for this (i think it has a backup fearure)..
    Last edited by Arsalan; 11-14-2002 at 02:24 AM.
    Arsalan
    Nexus - http://nexus.pk/
    ** Smart Solutions for Smart People! **

Originally posted by Arsalan
    backup software is a much, you can try using norton system works for this (i think it has some backup software)..
    I, being the tightwad, do backups with a VBSCript, PkZip Command Line version, and Task Scheduler. When you have a known set of directories to backup, I just do a full zip weekly, and run it with the 'update' flag the other 6 days, so it runs very quickly.
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003
    Server Hardware, Storage, and Turnkey systems for Service Providers