Avoiding Reverse IP Domain Lookup

Hi,

I will be hosting something like 20 domains on a reseller account setup (Cpanel/WHM) on a VPS. A reverse lookup will show up which domains these are.

One of my clients does not want to be associated with any other domain, or in other words, he doesn't want to be shown among all those domains listed by such a script like You Get Signal or Domaincheck. And - if his domain is checked, he wants to be listed as the only domain on the server.

I've been reading up on this quite a bit during the past days. Apparently a dedicated IP would place him outside of that list. Is that correct?

What about nameservers? If he uses mine, would he be listed alongside the other domains, even if he has a dedicated IP?

How many IPs does he actually need (I'm an absolute noob regarding this stuff, sorry)? Only one? Or more (e.g. for his own nameservers)?

The client actually has 3 domains, two of them are currently pointed nowhere yet. Is there a way that all three will be able to share his dedicated IP(s)? Or - for the above to work - does he need sets of dedicated IPs for every domain?

Cheers

C.

I assume your customer is looking for the Whois privacy protection?
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

I would assume 3 IP's should do the job.

2 dedicated to nameservers (his own)
    1 dedicated to the 3 websites

That should keep everyone seperated from his information I believe. Something tells me you might not be able to truly hide him though. Others will confirm/deny this.

Hi,

no, he's not looking for whois privacy protection, he just wants to be hosted in a manners which does not readily associate him with other domains. At the same time he doesn't want to be hosted on his own VPS and I don't want to lose him as a client. All this has no shady background, his sites are totally legit normal sites. I can understand his wish, too. I just wonder how I can implement it.

Mekhu, my setup will be VPS with WHM/Cpanel. How can I point 3 hosting packages at the same IP? Do I need to set up a reseller account within my reseller account or is there an easier way?

Cheers,

C.

Quote Originally Posted by chortaj View Post
    Do I need to set up a reseller account within my reseller account or is there an easier way?
    You don't set up resellers within resellers (you can't without special software) - you would just create a whole new reseller if you wanted.

All of this below applies if you are creating accounts as root:

Go into WHM and go to "Basic Setup" - just typing "Basic" in the find bar will bring it up in the list and then change the IP address in the first box to the one that you want the 3 sites on - then create them and/or move them to that IP (as it will be listed as shared).

Go back and change the IP in basic setup to whatever you want it to be for the rest of the sites and then move them/create them at that time.

No need to make an additional reseller unless you want to - because you can specify what IP the reseller account places accounts.

If you are not creating accounts as root then you can go to the "Reseller Center" - select your reseller account at the bottom and then go to "Manage Main Shared/Ipless Ip" at the bottom and there you can select what IP that reseller creates accounts on. The same methods would apply as above - it's just a different location for the same setting (for a reseller instead of root).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    I would assume 3 IP's should do the job.

2 dedicated to nameservers (his own)
    1 dedicated to the 3 websites

That should keep everyone seperated from his information I believe. Something tells me you might not be able to truly hide him though. Others will confirm/deny this.
    technically you could do it with only 1 ip:

1 dedicated to nameserver and his websites.

of course, you'd be better off doing it with 2 if the domain registrar requires unique ip's on each nameserver:

1 ip dedicated to his site and one nameserver.
    1 ip dedicated to his other nameserver.

Hi,

the 3-IP solution is the one I went for, as it also was suggested like that by my VPS host and I wanted to be totally certain that this will be separated on as many levels as possible. As the IPs have a reasonable price that's been no major hassle.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by chortaj View Post
    Hi,

the 3-IP solution is the one I went for, as it also was suggested like that by my VPS host and I wanted to be totally certain that this will be separated on as many levels as possible. As the IPs have a reasonable price that's been no major hassle.

C.
    Sounds great
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

A reverse domain IP check of his domains would - without any adjustment - show that they are being hosted with me and with a certain number of other domains I host. If I give him his own set of IPs this check will however only bring up his own domains, while a check on any of the other domains would bring up a list of my domain and my other clients grouped together.

Or in other words, he wants his setup to look as if he was on his own server with his domains instead of being with others on a shared host (me), and all that without actually renting and paying for an own box.

C.
    Last edited by Mike V; 08-09-2009 at 02:41 AM.