* Best performance web server. Forums, scripts.

I'm having trouble finding a web server for my Linux server. I had Litespeed and then I had to upgrade my server. It deleted litespeed. I haven't heard anything good on Litespeed. Not much talk about it.

So I was wondering is Litespeed any good, or is there better out there?

I'm looking for a web server that will be best performance for forums, blogs, and other scripts. No static content, if any; not a lot of it.

I like LiteSpeed because of it's mod_security rules and apache config.
    It was all just there in an administrator panel.

I would want to have the web server, the best highest performance. Doesn't need to be free, but I would like that. Customizable.. PHP built in.
    DoS and DDoS defend.

I can count on a firewall for that, so it's not my biggest concern. Concern is the performance.
    Anyone help me?

I appreciate it, thanks.

try ningx it 100 time better than litespeed webserver due to the cost
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

LiteSpeed only the best if your website have only static content.
    If you have a website running PHP, MySQL. So, the best Web Server is Apache.
    You can search Google for many way about tunning Apache, MySQL.

I'm running lighttpd and it works pretty good. I tried my website at an apple store, and it loaded so fast. I run Advanced Electron Forum and it is very fast. Im starting to use SMF and phpBB. I really want phpBB, but not so fond about smf's options. It's not a good admin layout. :-\

phpBB has a speed problem, it's slower then AEF which I don't like.

Do you think theres options to improve phpBB? Mods? Settings? Or is it the web server that slowing phpBB down?

@rowebil - What version of phpBB are you running? How many posts/users do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by hrockvn View Post
    LiteSpeed only the best if your website have only static content.
    If you have a website running PHP, MySQL. So, the best Web Server is Apache.
    You can search Google for many way about tunning Apache, MySQL.
    Where are you pulling this from? Litespeed lsapi clearly outperforms Apache's implementation for dynamic content.

To the OP, you will see many posts here by searching for litespeed
    and at the official forums: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/ I replaced Apache with litespeed and couldn't be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by HD Fanatic View Post
    Where are you pulling this from? Litespeed lsapi clearly outperforms Apache's implementation for dynamic content.

To the OP, you will see many posts here by searching for litespeed
    and at the official forums: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/ I replaced Apache with litespeed and couldn't be happier!
    Hmm... Could you show a benchmark comparing litespeed to apache 2.2? If not, your claim seems equally unfounded.

Well now most common solution is nginx proxy to apache,where nginx serves static content and apache dynamic plus you can still use fancy apache things like htaccess,mod security and other mods.I using clean nginx beacuse i want to ultimate performance,plus it is faster even on dynamic content,but configuring clean nginx can be pain in the ass so that is why not much people not using clean nginx,only proxy nginx.

Quote Originally Posted by roguehosting View Post
    Well now most common solution is nginx proxy to apache,where nginx serves static content and apache dynamic plus you can still use fancy apache things like htaccess,mod security and other mods.I using clean nginx beacuse i want to ultimate performance,plus it is faster even on dynamic content,but configuring clean nginx can be pain in the ass so that is why not much people not using clean nginx,only proxy nginx.
    yep iam agree with you
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

Quote Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a web server for my Linux server. I had Litespeed and then I had to upgrade my server. It deleted litespeed.
    What do you mean by "It deleted litespeed"? If you purchased it in the past, I would think you could contact them and download it again. I'm not familiar with their license agreement, but I can't imagine that upgrading the physical server means you lose your right to Litespeed. Can you still just download the trial and then put in your key?

I haven't heard anything good on Litespeed. Not much talk about it.
    I haven't ever used it beyond a trial, but everything I've heard has suggested that it outperforms Apache.

I'm looking for a web server that will be best performance for forums, blogs, and other scripts. No static content, if any; not a lot of it.
    Plenty of the "big guys" run Apache with good results. For static content, lighttpd or nginx will run circles around Apache. For dynamic content the difference isn't so huge. My real point is that Apache isn't necessarily bad. I might look into tuning PHP and MySQL before I looked for alternative webservers for dynamic content. APC worked wonders for my WordPress site, for example, as did a plugin to do caching of generated pages.

I like LiteSpeed because of it's mod_security rules and apache config.
    It was all just there in an administrator panel.
    Apache doesn't have a flashy web interface, but mod_security obviously works on Apache, too.

I'm also curious about what exactly you're hosting. If this is a box hosting just a busy forum site or something, you can do all sorts of weird optimizations to squeeze out every last drop of performance. If you're a general host with lots of clients, you have less wiggle-room to get creative with nginx proxying, etc. (What about varnish?)

IMO:

Litespeed is faster than Apache, but you have to ask yourself if you spent the monthly license fee you pay for Litespeed on renting better hardware, would it still be faster? Probably no at the low end of the server rental market but yes toward the high end where hardware upgrades are progressively more expensive.

lighttpd does not have a strong enough developer/testing community to be considered a safe bet for running a business on anymore. I'm not saying its abandoned, but there doesn't appear to be enough maintenance going on for what is not a mature product in the first place. You still get the occasional release to fix bugs, but there are many features (e.g. reliable log files when using multiple threads) that simply aren't implemented yet.

nginx is worth a look - i've not tried it myself, but I wouldn't suggest using it to reverse proxy apache unless you really need an Apache feature it doesn't provide. In most dedicated hosting scenarios where .htaccess and per-user security settings are less of a necessity, you can use it to directly serve scripts via fastcgi.

Also consider the different mpm's offered by Apache 2.2. I'm not so sure lighttpd/nginx still run circles around it when its in event mpm mode.