Autopsy: Cocaine a factor in Billy Mays' death

(CNN) -- An autopsy report issued Friday by Hillsborough County, Florida, cites cocaine as a contributing factor in the death of TV pitchman Billy Mays, who died in June at age 50.

"Mays died from a lethal arrhythmia of the heart caused by hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease," the county said in a statement attributed to Dr. Leszek Chrostowski, the associate medical examiner who conducted the autopsy.
    Full Article: http://bit.ly/DLeUE

That's pretty unfortunate. It would suck to be his wife or children and have no idea of this type of thing until you read it online like the rest of us.

Yeah I heard about this on the radio on my way home from dinner earlier -- All I have to say is WOW.

Saw Billy Mays on a commercial the other day, thought they were pulling all of his commercials off the air, but guess not.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I lost a whole lot of the sympathy I had for him after I heard this. I don't like people who do drugs.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

NO wonder he was high strung.NOW will his family be able to collect on his life insurance policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I lost a whole lot of the sympathy I had for him after I heard this. I don't like people who do drugs.
    hmmm....you mustn't like a lot of people then.

it's better to try and help drug users/abusers than dislike them.

disliking them solves no problem, and usually only helps create more problems in society.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-07-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioguru View Post
    NO wonder he was high strung.NOW will his family be able to collect on his life insurance policy?
    not so quick....

that could depend entirely on the insurance company's policy rules regarding illegal drug misuse contributing to death.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    hmmm....you mustn't like a lot of people then.

it's better to try and help drug users/abusers than dislike them.

disliking them solves no problem, and usually only helps create more problems in society.

owm
    I don't understand this at all. Why should I help someone who chose to use drugs in the first place? I didn't put the crack in his hands nor did I put it in his body. Same with anyone else who uses drugs, I have no sympathy what so ever. Nor will I help anyone get over their drug problems. Even if it was my own mother. Their ignorance got them there, and now they can get themselves out of the hole they dug.
    Last edited by GarrettReardon; 08-07-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettReardon View Post
    I don't understand this at all. Why should I help someone who chose to use drugs in the first place? I didn't put the crack in his hands nor did I put it in his body. Same with anyone else who uses drugs, I have no sympathy what so ever. Nor will I help anyone get over their drug problems. Even if it was my own mother. Their ignorance got them there, and now they can get themselves out of the hole they dug.
    While I can agree on some levels and fully respect your opinion, I could only hope such an outlook means you live your life to the purest of pure. Surely you have some form of downfall, regardless of how big/small it is, that people could say the same to you about... no?

Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettReardon View Post
    Garrett, I am sorry that you feel that way. I lost a family member due to a drug overdose. I've known multiple people who's family members have died that way also. Your comment is a slap in the face, people need help, sometimes they can't help it, whether you believe it or not. They are crying out for help. I hope that you never ever get tempted by drugs, or find out a family member/friend uses drugs.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

I second that. Someone may feel just the same about one of YOUR shortcoming, GarrettReardon. Addiction is a disease. Being holier-than-thou is not going to solve anyone's problem. Compassion and care will cure the world, on the other hand.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

That's awful, there are alot of people out there that you'd never think used any type of drugs. Addiction can affect anyone as I've personally seen the toll it can take on families and more than likely, the family probably knew.

Seems like he may have just been recreational with it and not an "addict" from what they said about the autopsy.

Rest in peace non-the-less.
    Michael Copeland
    WebLyte - We Make Establishing Your Web Presence Easy!
    Over 6 Years In Business! We're Here To Stay!

TBH, I think either A) Billy got cocaine slipped in his drink somewhere or B) Someone's lieing

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Garrett, I am sorry that you feel that way. I lost a family member due to a drug overdose. I've known multiple people who's family members have died that way also. Your comment is a slap in the face, people need help, sometimes they can't help it, whether you believe it or not. They are crying out for help. I hope that you never ever get tempted by drugs, or find out a family member/friend uses drugs.
    I have not lost a family member, but I have seen one go down the road you have just described, and I have no respect for them what so ever. I have tried over and over to help, and keep getting let down.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by [Fidelisystems] Mike View Post
    TBH, I think either A) Billy got cocaine slipped in his drink somewhere or B) Someone's lieing
    Do you have ANY idea how much coke is consumed by mature people on a daily basis? Even the people you don't expect it from at all, do it.

Been there, done that and I know what im talking about. Cocaine is used A LOT. and therefore I believe the TV host just did it as well.
    hi there!

Its a sad loss.

Cocaine's a curious drug. It was a purely recreational thing for me up until 2000 - 2002 when I was spending easily 850 every week (sometimes over 1400 a week) on the stuff. It was at that stage I decided the useage wasn't recreational anymore and enough was enough. It was time to kick the habit.

Was I addicted to it? I used to always tell myself no....but since I totally gave it up I've realised that yes I must have been addicted in some way to it because it was in my life night and day 24/7/365 the last 18 months eventually ending in 2002.

I wouldn't get up in the morning until I'd done quite a number of lines to get me racing. It was my rocket fuel.

I had a decent job, which the cocaine use never really effected. In fact the best money I ever earned was when I was hard on the gear. Seems funny, but the more I took, the more cars I used to sell. Best week ever was 30 cars sold @ 400 commission a car = 12k was a decent weeks wage back then....still is now rofl....wish I earned that sort of money every week. Still the coke had to go from my life else I'd be dead like a few of my mates who're now wearing wings and playing harps.

I was running 3 car garages buying and selling cars at the time and no salesman in Edinburgh could touch me for selling cars.

I got so hooked on the drug that I thought hard about getting help because it had become so bad but never sought help because I didn't want my family knowing about my habit.

Luckily enough I have the strength of mind, will and character that I was able to kick the habit within a month. Other users aren't so lucky.

Many of my old crowd of friends who are to this day still hard on cocaine are totally different people to when used to run around with them.

Some are real sorry sights to see. Sure, they're still ducking and diving, earning a right few but their characters are totally changed. The charlie's taken completely over their lives and their great perssonality's headed south years. It's a real shame to see, when ocassionally I bump into them as our paths never cross a lot these days.

Sadly too, I've lost a number of mates due to drug abuse/misuse. Cocaine is hard on the heart. Billy Mays is just another testimony to that.

These people don't need kicked when they're down, those that survive the habit, they actually need help.

I don't know why I am telling you about my past coke habit. Most likely because I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to pack it in.

Do I miss it? not really. I've other things in my life that mean much more to me.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-08-2009 at 07:08 AM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

I like how they say coke was the factor even though they detected only breakdown products of cocaine, not the drug itself, led Chrostowski to conclude that Mays had used cocaine "in the few days prior to death but not immediately prior to death."

BUT since these drugs were prescribed they couldn't posibly have nything t do with his death BUT coke did.

The autopsy also found low concentrations of ethyl alcohol "consistent with social consumption of a few beverages" as well as the narcotic drugs hydrocodone, oxycodone and tramadol. Mays had prescriptions for the drugs -- which were found in therapeutic or subtherapeutic concentrations -- to ease hip pain.

In addition, the tests found evidence of two tranquilizers -- alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) -- which are commonly prescribed for a variety of ailments, including anxiety and insomnia. Both drugs were determined to be in therapeutic or subtherapeutic concentrations.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Family: Never saw signs of cocaine use in pitchman; considers own review of autopsy

TAMPA, Fla. -- The family of TV pitchman Billy Mays said they were never aware that he used cocaine or other non-prescription drugs before his death and they were considering whether to have an independent review of an official autopsy.

The Hillsborough County medical examiner's office released the results of its autopsy on Friday, finding that cocaine use had contributed to the heart disease that suddenly killed the 50-year-old in June. He was discovered by his wife in bed at their Tampa condo the morning of June 28.

Mays was a pop-culture fixture with his energetic commercials pitching gadgets and cleaning products like Orange Glo and OxiClean.

While heart disease was the primary cause of his death, the medical examiner listed cocaine as a "contributory cause of death."

The medical examiner "concluded that cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of his heart disease, and thereby contributed to his death," the office said in a press release.

The office said Mays last used cocaine in the few days before his death but was not under the influence of the drug when he died. Hillsborough County spokeswoman Lori Hudson said nothing in the toxicology report indicated the frequency of Mays' cocaine use.

Cocaine can raise the arterial blood pressure, directly cause thickening of the left wall of the ventricle and accelerate the formation of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries, the release said.

The toxicology tests also showed therapeutic amounts of painkillers hydrocodone, oxycodone and tramadol, as well as anti-anxiety drugs alprazolam and diazepam. Mays had suffered hip problems and was scheduled for hip-replacement surgery the day after he was found dead.

Mays' family questioned the finding of cocaine and criticized the medical examiner's officer for issuing the report.

"We were totally unaware of any non-prescription drug usage and are actively considering an independent evaluation of the autopsy results," Mays' family said in a statement.

The statement said the family was "extremely disappointed" by the release of the information. They said the report "contains speculative conclusions that are frankly unnecessary and tend to obscure the conclusion that Billy suffered from chronic, untreated hypertension, which only demonstrates how important it is to regularly monitor one's health."

Longtime friend and colleague AJ Khubani, founder and CEO of the "As Seen on TV" product company Telebrands, said Mays never showed any signs of drug use and was always prepared for his many commercial shoots.

"I'm just shocked," Khubani said. "He was the model of a responsible citizen."

Mays, a McKees Rocks, Pa., native, developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "As Seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

He got his start on TV on the Home Shopping Network and then branched out into commercials and infomercials. He developed such a strong following that he became the subject of a reality TV series, Discovery Channel's "Pitchmen.

hmmm....

what's starting to baffle me is this.

cocaine users can be tested in a many ways, never mind finding the broken up products in someone's system.

a much easier way to test for cocaine useage is via hair,teeth and urine because of the residue and trail is leaves on it's way out of a person's system.

if Billy Mays had been a user, those tests would clearly show up.

To really understand how long does cocaine stay in your system, consider the following facts

•Cocaine is expected to be present in the body for 72 hours since its intake
    •Cocaine is expected to be detected in your urine for 1-3 days since its intake provided the intake is only once
    •Habituated use of cocaine results in traces of cocaine being detected in urine for up to 12 weeks.
    •Cocaine is said to be retained in your hair for a period of 3 months since its intake.
    •There are also reports available that suggest the presence of cocaine for a time frame of 25 years since its intake.

I remember going for a dental check up and the dentist was not happy with me ne bit....because even though I'd scrubbed till my gums were on fire, she still could tell I'd had don a bit from a long while back. Cocaine as well as leaving a residue which is hard to remove, it also attacks calcium in the teeth so she told me.

Either way, the truth will come out whether he was a user or not.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-10-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Hydrocodone and Oxycodone can show up on drug tests as cocaine. Strange. Kind of like that mother who was high and drunk when she killed 8 people. Her family insists she wasn't an alcholic or a drug user.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    How about sympathy for the family. Billy is dead, the family are the ones that are still around.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service