Joe's Datacenter Colocation

I'm looking around for a nice, cheap colo place for a Dell PE 2650 I just purchased...

Requirements

* At least burstable to 10Mbit... dedi 10 is nice.. 100 is nicer..
    * About 1000GB xfer should be good to start, I guess I can work with less
    * Cheap IPs with no problems obtaining more
    * Cheap remote hands since there's really not much in the RI/MA area. I will be going to school in upstate NY so I guess something around there would be cool too. I'm willing to ship anywhere though.
    * Discounted/included DirectAdmin would be really nice...
    * Not going to be selling IRCd stuff unless it's allowed and nice firewalls. I will probably only use it for a personal IRCd and irssi session.

Prospects

* Joe's Datacenter (joesdatacenter.com)

This company seems too good to be true... they offer great services for great prices and have many good features. I also spoke to an admin who said he will be able to include a DirectAdmin license for free. They include 5 IPs right off the bat. I got about a reply in an hour at like midnight from Joe (or just another Joe) himself.. and I'm not even a customer! They do free reboots. $50 to colo our 2U with 1500GB and 100Mbit. It's 25 extra for unmetered w/10Mbit but I'm sure the admin would be willing to just offer more b/w staying at 100Mbit instead of moving to a 10Mbit port.

* FDC Servers

Great reputation.. Pretty good prices for what I would imagine to be quality service. Not much more I can say about them.. Did not ask them about DirectAdmin.

Conclusion

I think I'm mainly just looking for any input on Joe's Datacenter because I really think I want to start my company there. If anyone has any better offers I'm open to anything.. but DirectAdmin would be really nice... just remember that.

I'm also looking for a solution to HyperVM... LxLabs (to-be LxCenter I guess?) is now releasing it for free.. I'm not sure if it's patched yet or not though. I think I might just start with HyperVM for now since noone is going to target us.. seriously.. we are two kids with like 2 clients right now. We can always migrate later if HyperVM never takes off again.

The only colo provider I have used up there is choopa.com. Their data center is actually in NJ. We got a good deal for our DR stuff and service has been solid. We shipped up our own firewall, and we don't use directadmin. Not sure if this helps. Those prices you found a very cheap.

Prospects (updated)

* Wholesale Internet (wholesaleinternet.com)

Seem to offer around the same services as Joe's Datacenter... (Joe's said they started w/a colo at this place, which is probably why they offer similar services...). This place looks really good too, but it seems Joe is willing to work with anyone and do special customizations for you.

========================================

Thank you for the reply, skullbox, I will check that out right now. What is "DR?"

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...27s+datacenter

^ This excites me! I really think I want to go with Joe's!

Joe has a decent reputation on the forum for good service and good pricing. Joe's and Wholesale Internet are in the same building.

I do not have a server with Joe, but I do have one with Wholesale Internet.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

Wholesale internet is good, I'm sure if you e-mail them a quote you have, they'd probably be able to match it!

Joe is a good guy, very friendly and helpful.

wholesaleinternet

you should ping aaron at wholesaleinternet dot com

I've got a 2u DL380 there on an unlimited 10mbit pipe for a pretty sweet deal. Check out the colo forums for his pricing.

From Boston (all cogent) I get about 36MS response time. From Boston on a UUnet 100m link i get about a 55ms ping time. From comcast cable I'm seeing 60ms.

My box has been rock solid and their pricing is fantastic. Can't think of a better bang for your buck anywhere.

Joes Datacenter is good as it Waveform. Both offer colo for $50/month.

He's definitely setting a good image.
    Friendly, good service, low prices, real pictures of his dc, live webcam

Quote Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
    He's definitely setting a good image.
    Friendly, good service, low prices, real pictures of his dc, live webcam
    Agreed, seems like he is on the right direction as they will / should always stay that way as they will never be a large provider but at the same time they won't be a small provider and can maintain to add the personal touch to the support.

Joe has just expanded his DC and opened up a new floor.

I would definitely check his datacenter out.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Joe has just expanded his DC and opened up a new floor.
    I think that could only be a good thing,best of luck for the venture and hope It gets success.

Webhosting-10.com
    Webhosting-10.com Is now a Google PR 6
    We're Looking for Advertisers on our site (Anyone Interested?)

Joe DC seems good with Better infrastructure and Extra staff

Joe will be a great choice. Fast connection and good pricing.

Haven't had to deal with support too much, but we don't run our critical operations from there. For the price and network you certainly can't complain.
    SonicVPS.com - Automated VPS Provisioning

Both companies have good reputations on this forum - personally I've talked with Joe before and he's a good guy.

You (indirectly) asked about FDC, too -- I've only been with FDC for about a month, but I've been happy so far. They did have an outage of a couple hours (concerningly, because their backup router couldn't handle the traffic), but long-term customers reassured me that this was very uncommon. Check our their colo package #2 at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=880378 ... Up to 5 IPs are included; extras are $1/month each. I don't believe they allow any IRC unless you ask to be put on their IRC network.

Not familiar with Joe's, but they sure do have a lot of good reviews.

IRC is allowed at FDC.

They give really canned responses sometimes in support though. They could take that to the next level, but they're always selling out so I don't think they mind.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.