Looking for Shared Hosting

I've been doing research around the internet for the past week or so in an attempt to find a reliable and inexpensive (trying to avoid the word cheap) web host for my site. Since I haven't exactly made a whole lot of progress from where I started (due mainly to the gigantic number of web hosts), I figured I'd try posting here for some help:

I run a small to medium sized discussion board on a free forum host. I'm looking to move the site to a self-hosted bulletin board system (most likely IP.Board 3) with a shared hosting provider, with the website front being built by Joomla CMS. Through my research so far, I've heard good things about the following hosts:

HostGator
    FatCow
    SharkSpace
    Monkey Wrench Hosting
    Bihira
    (can provide links as needed)

I've seen a lot of people say good things about Host Gator, particularly on this site, but I'm a bit wary of the 'Unlimited' advertising scheme, as well as the 250k inode cap. I'm not exactly sure how many I'd use, but I've heard rumors of Joomla being a 'inode hog', and I'd rather not have to deal with that. I've also heard good things about FatCow, but they use Unlimited in their specifications as well, and posts here about them being part of a larger company with a shady reputation makes me wary of them as well.

The third and fourth hosts I found through researching on this site. SharkSpace has a stickied thread in the Web Host Advertising forum, so I figure they have to be at least adequate. Monkey Wrench Hosting had a review posted somewhere here, and they don't look half bad either. As for Bihira, I have a friend who hosts his site there, but his forum isn't nearly as active as mine, so I'm not sure whether to go on that as reliable or not.

Anyway, here are the statistics I can provide you with concerning my board:

Total Members: 1600
    Total Posts: 95,000
    Active Members (at a time): Anywhere between 15 and 40-some (including guests)
    Posts Per Day: Anywhere between 200 and 500, with occasional days of 600+
    Budget: Preferably around the $5-$7 per-month range, with a definite cap of $10 (may be able to pay quarterly/yearly if required)
    Server Requirements: MySQL 5+, PHP 5.2+ (can provide more in-depth if needed)

I wish I could give you statistics as far as data and bandwidth usage go, but with this being a free host and all, I don't have access to that information. However, I can't predict the future for my board, so I'd like to have some breathing room as far as expansion goes. We're not going to strike gold and get huge, so we don't necessarily need a host that offers dedicated servers or possibly even VPS.

Anyway, that's about all the information I have. Any help choosing the right web host for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

I've been doing research around the internet for the past week or so in an attempt to find a reliable and inexpensive (trying to avoid the word cheap) web host for my site. Since I haven't exactly made a whole lot of progress from where I started (due mainly to the gigantic number of web hosts), I figured I'd try posting here for some help:
    Well, That is what they say. WHT is a huge place and there are hundreds of experienced webhosters here that are more than willing to assist you. So welcome.

I run a small to medium sized discussion board on a free forum host. I'm looking to move the site to a self-hosted bulletin board system (most likely IP.Board 3) with a shared hosting provider, with the website front being built by Joomla CMS. Through my research so far, I've heard good things about the following hosts:
    Basically you are falling for that CHEAP and NASTY trick again. You said above you wanted to stay away from the CHEAP Word. You basically ran back into it.
    Hostgator is quite nice, Quit oversold and I am not sure if it would be best for an IPB Board if you are expecting it to grow quite quickly.

I have not had experience with the rest at all. So will not comment further.

HostGator
    FatCow
    SharkSpace
    Monkey Wrench Hosting
    Bihira
    (can provide links as needed)
    I've seen a lot of people say good things about Host Gator, particularly on this site, but I'm a bit wary of the 'Unlimited' advertising scheme, as well as the 250k inode cap. I'm not exactly sure how many I'd use, but I've heard rumors of Joomla being a 'inode hog', and I'd rather not have to deal with that. I've also heard good things about FatCow, but they use Unlimited in their specifications as well, and posts here about them being part of a larger company with a shady reputation makes me wary of them as well.
    Well I am happy to see you have done your research, Basically any file you upload to your server would be an inode, Each file, folder and so on. I would imagine that IPB would also use up a few of those inodes the same.

I will not comment further on FatCow as I know very little to nothing about them. I would personally ditch the oversellers and move into something that would suit your requirements, Because sooner or later you are bound to run into trouble with those oversellers.

The third and fourth hosts I found through researching on this site. SharkSpace has a stickied thread in the Web Host Advertising forum, so I figure they have to be at least adequate. Monkey Wrench Hosting had a review posted somewhere here, and they don't look half bad either. As for Bihira, I have a friend who hosts his site there, but his forum isn't nearly as active as mine, so I'm not sure whether to go on that as reliable or not.
    SharkSpace I have never been with nor MonkeyWrench. I would imagine that in the shared offers section they'd be paid to be there or they are working as mods or something here. This does not mean too much to what your research shows. Perhaprs looking for reviews on SharkSpace would be your best bet here on WHT.

Anyway, here are the statistics I can provide you with concerning my board:

Budget: Preferably around the $5-$7 per-month range, with a definite cap of $10 (may be able to pay quarterly/yearly if required)
    Server Requirements: MySQL 5+, PHP 5.2+ (can provide more in-depth if needed)
    This seems quite fair, I would believe a GOOD SHARED Hosting provider would be able to cover those requirements and at your budget price. I would in this case avoid Hostgator and those oversellers who offer you the unlimited route. You would find you would use CPU and Ram resources much quicker and I am more than sure you would either be asked to upgrade or get asked to move.

I wish I could give you statistics as far as data and bandwidth usage go, but with this being a free host and all, I don't have access to that information. However, I can't predict the future for my board, so I'd like to have some breathing room as far as expansion goes. We're not going to strike gold and get huge, so we don't necessarily need a host that offers dedicated servers or possibly even VPS.
    I would personally start your site off on a small package and see how this package works out for you. There is no point in upgrading your service to say a VPS or Dedicated Server and fork out $$$ that you really do not need to for out. Starting off small and then expanding your services would be the more recommended and wise choice.

Anyway, that's about all the information I have. Any help choosing the right web host for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
    Out of all the Webhosts you have listed, I could not recommend them. I am not sure what else I could offer you.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Through my research so far, I've heard good things about the following hosts:

HostGator
    FatCow
    SharkSpace
    Monkey Wrench Hosting
    Bihira
    it's good you did your research - although there are other reputable companies, not these ones.
    I've seen a lot of people say good things about Host Gator, particularly on this site, but I'm a bit wary of the 'Unlimited' advertising scheme, as well as the 250k inode cap. I'm not exactly sure how many I'd use, but I've heard rumors of Joomla being a 'inode hog', and I'd rather not have to deal with that.
    As for oversellers - according to other people reviews - they seem to be doing good. However, they are oversellers.
    I've also heard good things about FatCow, but they use Unlimited in their specifications as well, and posts here about them being part of a larger company with a shady reputation makes me wary of them as well.
    Then why list FatCow as a possible host? I was adviced at WHt about one host (can't recall which one). It had 50% praising and 50% bashing reviews. One wise colleague told me: avoid such unbalanced hosts.
    Monkey Wrench Hosting had a review posted somewhere here, and they don't look half bad either.
    There are lots of companies having positive reviews at WHT. MWH may be one of them. What else did attract you?
    As for Bihira, I have a friend who hosts his site there, but his forum isn't nearly as active as mine, so I'm not sure whether to go on that as reliable or not.
    It is not about your friend. it is about what other people think about Bihira. Is it reputable at WHT?
    I had no experience with any of the hosts you have mentioned. Some are known to me, some are new to hear. I may reccomend one host I used, but it is not on your list.

although there are other reputable companies, not these ones.
    Whoever said that they are not reputable?
    - Hostgator in question is quite a large and sustainable webhost with many reviews good and bad based on each persons experience. I would not go calling them un-reputable when they have been around for quite some time.

they are oversellers.
    Which brings us to the point of where they overseller their service, We all know it would be impossible to use, They still will do it to gain that extra client. It is all in the marketing and how you go about it.

Then why list FatCow as a possible host? I was adviced at WHt about one host (can't recall which one). It had 50% praising and 50% bashing reviews. One wise colleague told me: avoid such unbalanced hosts.
    Personally, It is not that you should avoid such hosts all together. They are quite huge, Very reputable and offer pretty excellent support. With their ticket intake each day it sometimes makes it hard for them to reply to your ticket then and there. Their servers may be oversold and pumped with hundreds of clients which slow the server to a crawl, Though sometimes these large hosts can handle their servers quite well even though they are a bit un-balanced.

There are lots of companies having positive reviews at WHT. MWH may be one of them. What else did attract you?
    What is MWH?

Sean
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Whoever said that they are not reputable?
    - Hostgator in question is quite a large and sustainable webhost with many reviews good and bad based on each persons experience. I would not go calling them un-reputable when they have been around for quite some time.
    I agree to that. they are actually one of the biggest web hosting company ever and they do have a lot of positive reviews about them.
    Of course they have some bad ones as well but I suppose that is quite ordinary situation for the such big web hosting company

Joomla being a 'inode hog'
    A fresh Joomla install will use about 4K inodes.

I've also heard good things about FatCow
    Based on my monitoring, they have quite decent uptime so far, but the applications performance is far from what other similar hosts can provide.

Based in your stats, and unless you have anything that may consume an excessive amount of resources, almost any shared host should be fine for your board, however, if you install Joomla in the same account and have the same stats than the board, that's a bit different, since Joomla does use much more resources than an average board software.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm willing to look at any host, whether or not it's on my list. I just listed those ones because those were the ones I was considering so far. Throughout my various searches I could hardly find any bad reviews for FatCow, and I was highly considering going with them, but people here have said that their hosting company should be avoided, so I wasn't sure.

As for HostGator, I hadn't been able to find Joomla's exact inode usage on it, but I figured it would be rather high from what I read. Additionally, I figured that a message board system would use a high number of inodes, so I wasn't sure about them either.

But yeah, I'm willing to look at any recommendations, whether or not they're on my (admittedly small) list of possible web hosts. Thanks for the help so far though!

Between Joomla and the amount of *possible* users that could be online at a given time, I'd be very careful when selecting a host. Review their resource allocations closely as some of the hosts mentioned will likely suspend you.

May check out http://www.dreamhost.com - mixed reviews but my personal experience has been excellent since 2005.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post

What is MWH?
    Monkey Wrench Hosting.

It is definitely understandable to see the OP having the daunting task of choosing a web host among so many. Personally I would recommend you go with the most basic plan that meets your requirements, and I'm sure many hosts do offer a money-back guarantee period that you can use to try out their services to see if they meet your needs. But there are many hosts that can potentially be a good home for you.
    Last edited by ItsJustHosting; 08-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

I have used hostgator and it is ok for shared hosting.
    They are fast in answering support tickets too, mostly in less than 30 minutes.
    No experience with the other companies.

(can't use BBCode yet, doing it this way)
    serverorigin: Between Joomla and the amount of *possible* users that could be online at a given time, I'd be very careful when selecting a host. Review their resource allocations closely as some of the hosts mentioned will likely suspend you.

May check out dreamhost.com - mixed reviews but my personal experience has been excellent since 2005.
    ===============================
    Alright, will do. But what about the host in your signature? They appear to have a good offer, but immediate searches for reviews revealed either very high or very low ratings.

But I'll look into Dreamhost. Thanks! Does anyone else have any recommendations? While answers like 'there are a lot of hosts that might suit your needs' are expected, they're not particularly helpful (not that I don't appreciate you trying to help).

SuperBlob,

I would suggest taking a look at HawkHost. I ran a similarly sized forum on there and had great success. Fast servers, great uptime and great support. Give them a look.

But I'll look into Dreamhost. Thanks!
    If you decide to go with them, look for coupons. There should be some that are quite generous.

Alright, will do. But what about the host in your signature? They appear to have a good offer, but immediate searches for reviews revealed either very high or very low ratings.

But I'll look into Dreamhost. Thanks! Does anyone else have any recommendations? While answers like 'there are a lot of hosts that might suit your needs' are expected, they're not particularly helpful (not that I don't appreciate you trying to help).
    The signature in his thread is his own service, Pretty much like the rest of ours
    HawkHost and Dreamhost would probably be good and wise chooses as I have heard some great reviews about them.

In what ever way you go, I am sure you will make the correct decision in your webhosting choices. Also, You can check the shared hosting offers section for more choices: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlob View Post
    (can't use BBCode yet, doing it this way)
    serverorigin: Between Joomla and the amount of *possible* users that could be online at a given time, I'd be very careful when selecting a host. Review their resource allocations closely as some of the hosts mentioned will likely suspend you.

May check out dreamhost.com - mixed reviews but my personal experience has been excellent since 2005.
    ===============================

As ATH-Sean mentioned: My signature is an advertisement for my company. Although, we aren't allowed to recommend our own services. I was simply stating that if I was going to recommend a 3rd party then Dreamhost has been good for me throughout the years for some of my personal sites.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

I have reviewed HostGator. They are a reliable and trustworthy web host with good prices. Good Luck to you!
    Affordable, Hassle-Free Web Hosting - Rated Top Web Host of the year! All packages include Free Professional Website Builder!
    On Sale Now!
    Top Rated Web Hosting