Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't mind either of the Orbits at ThePlanet, it's good stuff once I get logged in. For me more of the problem is the impossible to remember login and passwords!

Quote Originally Posted by Jame$ View Post
    I don't mind either of the Orbits at ThePlanet, it's good stuff once I get logged in. For me more of the problem is the impossible to remember login and passwords!
    IMO, this is a great feature, as it protects your password in case your PC gets hacked.

Back in the day EV1 was the best dedicated hosting company in the world. Marsh and the boys ran that ship well.

Then a guy took over that clearly did not understand the industry and killed off a great brand.

Just imagine last year when one of their Houston facilities blew up (yes it really blew up) - that was EV1. I am sure many many customers left, some may have left and went to a competitor named The Planet (which I am sure allot of people did not know about the merger or such). I am sure that is the reason Uk2 has not merged brands as well and the same reason we continue to buy multiple brands. TP is a second class organization who has meetings about having meetings all day, rather than letting their employees get work done.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

The Planet is doing well for me

I read these posts looking for info on Orbit 2 and found a lot of bashing of thePlanet.

I'm no expert, but in my limited experience with thePlanet, they've been exceptional. Being a non-tech person, they've helped explain things that should probably be obvious. They are VERY prompt in their responses. The live chat works great. I'm literally stunned with how good the tech support is. I've almost gotten used to hour long waits on hold anytime I call AT&T, Amex, etc. I get better, faster service when I call the IRS these days than I do with most corporations. And I get English, not Indie-English. Actually, most Indian call centers speak better English these days...and are MUCH more polite...than US based. But they can't solve problems...they just read a script. thePlanet breaks all those expectations. Plain English, prompt responses, great technical support.

if this is bad, I can't imagine how much better they were in the good ole days these posters are referring to.

Admittedly, I'm using Orbit 1 and haven't tried Orbit 2 yet. It was a steep learning curve for Orbit1, but it's probably geared toward techies.

Anywy, just wanted to throw my support out there for thePlanet (so far).

Also, the guy from TP that posted on this forum...kudos. You kept non-combative, polite, and responsive despite the flaming you and yours are taking.

Nevermind. I think maybe I am using Orbit2 and didn't know it. It does take some exploration to get used to.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 01-16-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    TP is a second class organization who has meetings about having meetings all day, rather than letting their employees get work done.
    This makes me laugh, it's so true.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

if this is bad, I can't imagine how much better they were in the good ole days these posters are referring to.
    well, i just decided to move from my current host back to theplanet. don't have the server set up yet, ordered last weekend. they tell me 72 hours. we'll see if they hit that mark.

i was a customer of theplanet when they had the separate brand "servermatrix" years ago. back then servermatrix was non managed customers, and theplanet was all managed customers. they were good then. not that i used the support all that much, i only ever had one issue (think it turned out to be a bad stick of ram causing the server to crash), and it was fixed in a couple of hours.

guess we'll see this time around.

well, as an update, this has been my experience with the order and initial setup, and a couple of support issues..

1) ordered server on saturday, after chatting with a sales rep, he told me the setup time guarantee was 72 hours, sounded fine, went ahead.

2) didn't get an email for a bit, turns out that i typo'd .com in the order form, my fault, no biggie, they forwarded the confirmation email to the proper address and i sent them back the copy of DL/CC.

3) didn't hear anything for a couple of days, checked back after 72 hours had passed, first informed the person that i talked to that there was a typo in the original order form, he said the typo was fixed in the email address on file, server wasn't up yet, check back in 24 hours.

4) checked back after 24 hours, the next person told me that the server was set up on the day after the order, "you should have a welcome email". i didn't, knowing what the problem was, told this person about the typo because the first one didn't pay attention to it despite my mentioning it, apparently. the same email typo still existed, they forwarded the username and pass without the email address typo and i got in fine.

5) stayed up til the wee hours of the morning getting things i'm using on my current server at the host i'm moving from installed. turns out one app i use has a broken dependency loop between kerberos and hemidal in its current state. attempted to clean it up manually, the wrong one wound up linked to SSH and i managed to hose it. not the fault of theplanet of course, so i apologetically explained the problem to them in a ticket and they managed to get the server back up relatively quickly, but SSH is still hosed due to missing dependencies.

6) no problem, i'll accept fault when it's mine. i told them the server doesn't have any critical info on it yet, so they can just reload the OS and i'll eat the 25 bucks for the OS reload, and start over from scratch and be more careful with dependencies this time around with that particular app. problem is, the OS reload order form in orbit is broken.

7) let the tech i was talking to know that orbit's OS reload order form is broken. he suggests that i call/chat directly to order the OS reload, fine i do so. give him all of the info and confirmations in the chat box on their website, and head to lunch. come back, the response i have is...

I was unable to submit the OS Reload ticket as well. We have reported this to our dev team but I don't know when it will be resolved. sorry but you'll have to wait a little while as the data center is not able to proceed with out an os reload ticket.

Thank you for choosing The Planet
    the above response was about two hours ago, i suppose we'll see how long it takes them to fix orbit.
    Last edited by Xayd; 01-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
    the above response was about two hours ago, i suppose we'll see how long it takes them to fix orbit.
    Yikes!!!!!!!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

so apparently they fixed the ticket submission error, and now they send an email with a link to click to verify that i actually want the OS reload (after i paid for it?) and that link is also broken.

so apparently they fixed the ticket submission error, and now they send an email with a link to click to verify that i actually want the OS reload (after i paid for it?) and that link is also broken.
    Sounds like it might be time to pick up the phone and speak with someone about your problems.

Go to SoftLayer. OS Reloads are automated and free -- and best of all they don't force you to use a garbage control panel that is barely functional
    Big things coming soon

I've been a customer of EV1 and then the Planet for around 8 years, every since Cyberwings went belly up. I'm not a super geek (I wish) and I have not had a huge amount of experience with 30 different dedicated server providers, but the Planet tech support has always been 100% friendly, helpful, and willing to work with me. Knowing full well that gripes and complaints are most likely to be posted in forums, I wanted to add to the other side of the equation.

update to all of the above:

so the ticket system was fixed within the day and once they got the ticket system working, the reload went fine.

the next day i had to submit one more ticket, forgot to turn daemon mode on for a server when i installed it and it took the boot console over (before ssh came up) the next day when i rebooted to check my startup configs after installing apache, mysql, postfix, dns server and what not, they got that sorted in about 10-15 minutes (simple ctrl-c from a KVM but nonetheless...). and they did send a pic of the hung console so that i knew what to look for to fix it.

so my overall impression and suspicions are: the datacenter people once you get to them are completely capable and fix things pretty quickly. the people who initially respond inquiries and other such things are apparently outsourced to work-at-home types and they have been, of course, hit and miss.

so other than orbit being a POS i really can't complain, i suppose, and intend to stay barring any other issues.
    Last edited by Xayd; 01-23-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12