How fast should a reboot request?

This question is to all of you. I'm currently hosted in two providers. My newest provider has a good 100% uptime for the last 6 months not until last week. I got two downtimes and I requested a reboot but it took 2 hours before they were able to do it. Then just two hours ago it happened again and I sent ticket for reboot but until now no reply. Please note they promise 24/7 support but this is the only negative issue I see with them. My other provider takes only 15 minutes or even less for reboot.

How fast is the reboot request should be ? on the average maybe.
    Last edited by mhhost; 08-06-2009 at 07:37 AM.

This varies from datacenter to datacenter.

Most of them by now offer the option to restart a server on your own, some of them even they provider automated soft reboot.

I suppose anything below 30minutes is good.

I won't go for a provider who do not offer automated reboot port.Because I really need my server can be rebooted in 5 mins when it need a reboot.

I guess for some people they can wait for a while,like 10 or 15 mins,but I think 2 hours is too long.

Maybe you can ask them about reboot port,some providers may charge a little for this,you can try.

Is FSCK always required after a reboot? because this is their reason why it takes hours to come the server back.

I think if it needs to be manual (i.e. remote reboot does not work) should be handled within 30 minutesl; however exceptions can be there. i.e. when a datacenter had a poweroutage (these things do happen unfortunately to the best of them) they may need to bring back thousands of servers.

Quote Originally Posted by mhhost View Post
    Is FSCK always required after a reboot? because this is their reason why it takes hours to come the server back.
    Generally, fsck is run automatically at boot time when the operating system detects that a file system is in an inconsistent state, indicating a non-graceful shutdown, such as a crash or power loss.

It is good practice to do a those checks, you do not want to run your system with i.e. an inode table which is messed up.

<< Is FSCK always required after a reboot? because this is their reason why it takes hours to come the server back. >>

If the server has not been rebooted in a very long time, it may do one automatically---which may take awhile for large drives or problematic file system issues just found upon reboot. Do not blame an FSCK on the hosting company...it is not in their control to stop it really.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

thank you for the replies. I just can avoid to compare my two providers.

If fsck is an issue, then use FreeBSD which allows fsck on background :-)

I think reloads are one of the most important tickets and or items that need to be handled the fastest when it comes to support.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

Quote Originally Posted by Hivelocity Q&A View Post
    I think reloads are one of the most important tickets and or items that need to be handled the fastest when it comes to support.
    Reloads or reboots?
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

I think I would be more concerned with why you require so many reboots or any at all rather than the time with which it takes to reboot the server. On average 2 hours or less without any other express guarantees or an auto reboot system is acceptable and standard in our industry.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

There is where you see how good your data center is. Anyone can run a DC where nobody has problems.

If a DC cannot reboot your server in 30 minutes they are understaffed or completely disorangized. 1 step that most DC's have taken is to provide automation tools that take the bulk of the load off their support staff.

Why don't you get KVM/IP so you can do your own reboots?

Remote reboot is so common now, this doesn't seem like it would be a major issue.

30 minutes does seem pretty reasonable for a manual boot. There are from time to time circumstances that will effect that (ie. how long your server takes to boot up) and it gets forgotten a lot that the people on the other side are, well, people.. as 040 mentioned if everything goes wrong at once on the DC floor, it's possible that no level of staffing will avoid some sort of delay. I'd just take note of how things are on average, and if you're happier with one provider, send them your business.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

A reboot ticket should be given the maximum priority, and it takes a maximum of 15-20 minutes for the server to be online. Unless there is some problem with the server and it refuses to get online.

The support technicians in that case should update the ticket with the exact problem for such a long time taken to resolve a server reboot request.

Quote Originally Posted by mhhost View Post
    After you use something like a REMOTE REBOOT PORT, FSCK's are extremely common because it's just a forceful power cycle.
    AS395558

Also it would initiate a raid reinitialization if you are using one and the server performance would be affected till it completes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    After you use something like a REMOTE REBOOT PORT, FSCK's are extremely common because it's just a forceful power cycle.
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Depending on datacenter 15 mins to an hour is common if they dont provide remote reboot.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

A reboot request should be processed instantly, once you press the remote button in the VPS or dedicated control panel .

2 hours for rebooting is bad for my opinion. 15 minutes honestly is already bad. May we know the name of the datacenter so we can avoid them in the future? I'm a bit scared because I'm currently looking for servers and I honestly do not want a provider that can attend to reboot requests after 2 hours the request is sent
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by sharmaine1111 View Post
    2 hours for rebooting is bad for my opinion. 15 minutes honestly is already bad. May we know the name of the datacenter so we can avoid them in the future? I'm a bit scared because I'm currently looking for servers and I honestly do not want a provider that can attend to reboot requests after 2 hours the request is sent
    Make sure they offer a remote reboot option; that way you never have to wait.

Yeah that's another option, to get a remote reboot port. But I heard from a friend that sometimes remote reboot port have problems also. What if something happened to server physically (say the cable was removed by accident probably because someone from the datacenter stepped on it?), remote reboot port won't help.
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28