Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: website rip-off

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,050

    website rip-off

    I happened to find a website http://www.sakthidww.com which is a complete rip-off of Resellerclub's control panel and the website of http://www.qualispace.com. The designer of the website has went to the extent of copying the logo of QualiSpace. I wonder if it is allowed to copy the logo, content and design of another website. I found the domain sakthidww.com registered through QuantumPages Technologies Pvt. Ltd. which is the parent company of QualiSpace. I am not related to these companies in anyway, but just want to bring it to the notice of all the hosting companies, that there are other hosting companies of which some may be your customers who will copy your design and logos and may create harm to your company's image.
    Prashant T.

    Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by prashant1979 View Post
    I wonder if it is allowed to copy the logo, content and design of another website.
    It depends. 99% of the time the answer is no, it isn't allowed. Virtually everything is protected by copyright law and it is illegal to copy someone else's work. The same applies to websites, images and other electronic documents and files. Unless the owner of the content gives explicit permission for others to use it, coping it is considered copyright infringement.

    Often those that are generous and want others to benefit from their work will release their design under the General Public License (GPL) or the Creative Commons License.

    If you are the owner of content which others have copied, you can take legal action against them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,398
    AM I missing something here because http://www.sakthidww.com/ and http://www.qualispace.com/look totally different as far as site design.

    EDIT: I see now, the logo. For all we know that is some common free icon out there on the net

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    1,838
    This is funny this is the second thread here on WHT running talking about the same issue with two different sets of websites!
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    InfoPark, Cochin, India
    Posts
    986

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by prashant1979 View Post
    I happened to find a website http://www.sakthidww.com which is a complete rip-off of Resellerclub's control panel and the website of http://www.qualispace.com. The designer of the website has went to the extent of copying the logo of QualiSpace. I wonder if it is allowed to copy the logo, content and design of another website. I found the domain sakthidww.com registered through QuantumPages Technologies Pvt. Ltd. which is the parent company of QualiSpace. I am not related to these companies in anyway, but just want to bring it to the notice of all the hosting companies, that there are other hosting companies of which some may be your customers who will copy your design and logos and may create harm to your company's image.
    I think sakthidww is a reseller of resellers club. Nothing looks alike to me though?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,050
    You should compare the URLs http://www.qualispace.com/web-hostin...uxhosting.html and http://www.sakthidww.com/Web%20Site%20Hosting.asp?cid=3 to understand what I mean. Regarding the logo, I believe QualiSpace is being using this logo since past few years and sakthidww.com itself is registered two years ago. QualiSpace is a very big company, a domain registrar and Sakthidww.com is just a small hosting company. Also check the IP address of the website, it belongs to QualiSpace which means it is hosted on QualiSpace's server. Now, if there is a question how do I know that, let me tell you I have dealt with QualiSpace earlier and know it is their IP address.
    Prashant T.

    Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by prashant1979 View Post
    You should compare the URLs http://www.qualispace.com/web-hostin...uxhosting.html and http://www.sakthidww.com/Web%20Site%20Hosting.asp?cid=3 to understand what I mean. Regarding the logo, I believe QualiSpace is being using this logo since past few years and sakthidww.com itself is registered two years ago. QualiSpace is a very big company, a domain registrar and Sakthidww.com is just a small hosting company. Also check the IP address of the website, it belongs to QualiSpace which means it is hosted on QualiSpace's server. Now, if there is a question how do I know that, let me tell you I have dealt with QualiSpace earlier and know it is their IP address.
    you mean the linux pinguin thing? thats a free picture you can get online.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tech Belt
    Posts
    7,802
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    you mean the linux pinguin thing? thats a free picture you can get online.
    The thing that looks alike in both logos is the blue box with the S in it. That's what I think they are talking about.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroh View Post
    The thing that looks alike in both logos is the blue box with the S in it. That's what I think they are talking about.
    well now I feel stupid.... shouldnt somebody contact the owner?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroh View Post
    The thing that looks alike in both logos is the blue box with the S in it. That's what I think they are talking about.
    Boss, I know penguin is the mascot of Linux and can be used by anybody. Can you see the table design and the color combination. It is a simple copy paste.
    Prashant T.

    Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    mumbai
    Posts
    134
    Hi Prashant,

    Thank you very much for pointing out the logo that has been copied by our customer. I have seen many customers copying our content and also the design of a few pages, especially the hosting features page, but copying a logo is too much. Can anybody suggest what we can do to prevent such things from happening?
    Nitesh Shah

    My Personal Blog - http://www.niteshn.info
    My Technical Blog - http://www.techknowlogy.in

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    138
    Hi,

    these guys are bound to be dependent on a provider themselves, be it their datacenter or just the connection to the net. Copyright laws are in literally every contract down the line, meaning that they too get diverse service only for content respecting copyright.

    Thus it is usually easy to find out where the "next in line" is, notify them of copyright infringement/abuse and ask for action.

    C.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    50
    Interesting. The logo is definitely similar, but the "tick" in the lower right is changed. I wonder if that's enough of a change to make an infringement case invalid?
    John Lee
    Vodien Internet Solutions Pte Ltd -------------- Latest Intel Servers Now Available!
    Singapore Datacentre ★★ Native English staff ★★ Singapore Web Hosting
    http://www.vodien.com ★★ 24/7 Super Support ★★ Call +6562886264

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    138
    Hi,

    LOL! Try using the logo of the Deutsche Bank* with a reversed direction of the slash, especially as another bank, and you'll discover very quickly that this is what's called "fraudulent" and "derivative" and quite clearly forbidden ;-))))

    C.

    * oh, and your own bank account balance better be pretty good... ;-)

  16. #16
    For this never copy any site's logo as well as the content as it will be an copyright issue. If so try to make something similar to it but not the same. Then it will look good and try to use your own creativity at your end.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 04:49 AM
  2. Website Functionality : Effective Website Design to achieve Maximum Success
    By aressindiaseo in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 06:01 AM
  3. Website Boards for Sale - Free Multi-Forums Website Provider
    By waveweb in forum Other Offers & Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •