Exclamation Sales vs Support: Sales Lose, Who Win?

After reading this thread I have decided to make another post about the same problem. One of the reasons is that I don't want to discuss this issue and automatically bash Gigenet by discussing this under "Gigenet not responding" title, but mainly because it concerns a lot more companies than just them.

During last 4 months I was shopping for some dedicated servers - for my needs and for my clients. What I saw was an amazing picture I could not even imagine - especially during these times we call "financial crisis".

On the average 4 out of 5 companies' response time for sales or pre-sales request is well over 2 hours. Some companies only respond to sales inquiries once a day (really!). With others it only took 5 hours and a phone call to figure out the order was flagged as suspicious. Some companies impose weird constrains on migrating from one server to another (like: you must order a new server 5 days prior to the end of your billing cycle, we provision new server within 5 days so your new server billing cycle would be the same as the old one).

I could go on, but I think you all see my point now. Go to car dealership. Take a vacation and go to Vegas or New York. See how people sell their stuff when they really need to make a sale.

Last month I went to timeshare presentation that wore me out for a whole day - just to see how professional sales worked. Yes, it busted half a day from my 5 days vacation - but I got a professionally executed, personally addressed 2 hour presentation from an expert sales person. People pay thousands to see that, I was lucky I got that in exchange of 3 hours of my vacation time.

Sorry for a long post. To sum it all up - if I don't feel welcome at the sales point, I already know that I will not be welcome at the point when I need help - which is exactly the same point that was made in the thread I linked to.

I am not in the business of selling servers, rather the opposite - renting them for myself and my clients, so please take this post as a point of view from across the table, as a friendly gesture from your humble client.
    Web Design and Development by Zealus - Complete business solutions for the web!

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.

If it's during regular business hours, call them. From personal experience, you can go about e-mailing back and forth and waiting for a reply or you can call and get someone to help you with everything quickly.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

The point you are missing in those posts is that there are a lot of people in the web hosting market who want a definitive answer to a vague question that has resulted from no research. They want it RIGHT NOW at 4AM Saturday and they will not consider speaking on the telephone.

If they could find a host doing sales over twitter, they would be in twit heaven.

There was once a thread about a domain sale where the buyer was suspicious, so lot's of internet searches for names, queries for advice here, posting of whois infor and emails back and forth. One party was in NJ, the other was in MI. It would have cost what, less than a dollar to pick up the phone? Did it ever occur to the buyer to pick up the phone? Nope, apparently email is the ne-plus-ultra of communications.

The bottom line is some people put more thought and effort into buying a pizza than they do to buy hosting.

In every sales scenario that you put forth above, the potential purchaser expects to interact with the seller during regular business hours.

The sales process in hosting may not be stellar, but it certainly is not helped by people who expect action when everyone else is sleeping. Anyone who absolutely has to have a server in less than 72 hours should blame themselves for not planning ahead.

ps. just saw your sig. put it this way, would you care to put on sales staff for web design projects 24x7? and can you give firm quotes for "i need a website, something really l33t, ya know" by email?
    Last edited by plumsauce; 08-06-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

I agree completely.

The sales line is the first point of contact between any company that's selling a product/service and the customer, and it should be given a much higher level of priority than what I have normally seen.

If I recall correctly, the longest I've ever waited for a sales reply is about 5 weeks from LeaseWeb (of course, I had given up on waiting for a reply 4 weeks and 6 days earlier)...

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    The point you are missing in those posts is that there are a lot of people in the web hosting market who want a definitive answer to a vague question that has resulted from no research. They want it RIGHT NOW at 4AM Saturday and they will not consider speaking on the telephone.

If they could find a host doing sales over twitter, they would be in twit heaven.

There was once a thread about a domain sale where the buyer was suspicious, so lot's of internet searches for names, queries for advice here, posting of whois infor and emails back and forth. One party was in NJ, the other was in MI. It would have cost what, less than a dollar to pick up the phone? Did it ever occur to the buyer to pick up the phone? Nope, apparently email is the ne-plus-ultra of communications.

The bottom line is some people put more thought and effort into buying a pizza than they do to buy hosting.

In every sales scenario that you put forth above, the potential purchaser expects to interact with the seller during regular business hours.

The sales process in hosting may not be stellar, but it certainly is not helped by people who expect action when everyone else is sleeping. Anyone who absolutely has to have a server in less than 72 hours should blame themselves for not planning ahead.

ps. just saw your sig. put it this way, would you care to put on sales staff for web design projects 24x7? and can you give firm quotes for "i need a website, something really l33t, ya know" by email?
    I think you're missing the point completely. No one said they expect instant replies at 4am, or detailed replies to generic/retarded sales questions. But during working hours, Monday to Friday, a good company who has a clue should strive to reply to *all* sales emails in a timely (< 30 minutes) time frame, even if that reply is to probe for more information about what the customer wants exactly.
    Last edited by Daniel_G; 08-06-2009 at 07:44 AM.

I didn't miss that point. All my sales communications were during regular business hours. I don't expect sales to answer at 4am in the morning, but seeing a response at 11am to a question asked at 2pm day before certainly gives company bad outlook.

Alright, you have a hand picked example that doesn't prove anything. So do I. The post was about trend I am observing. If you can generate more sales through twitter (see: Dell, Newegg) would you keep ranting or just go and sell?

Some people just don't want waste their time on figuring out technical details of something they have no understanding whatsoever. It is your right to choose a geek niche, but not everyone wants to go after it.

My point exactly. Why sales isn't available at that moment - beats me.

Did I say anything about having a server within 72 hours? The point that I was making is (again): just to get to the point of clicking that "Order Now" button takes SALES (not the client) days. I kid you not: I've sent a simple question of how much an additional 2GB of RAM would cost to install and got the answer exactly 28 hours later.

I am yet to see anyone call at that time. However, web design that we do isn't priced by how many images and flash files goes into template, we do custom work with custom quotes. Something like "i need a website, something really l33t, ya know" is what I deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks for reply though, from your post I can see that there is certainly a disconnect between how sales is perceived on hoster and client sides.

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    If it's during regular business hours, call them. From personal experience, you can go about e-mailing back and forth and waiting for a reply or you can call and get someone to help you with everything quickly.
    One of the providers I am using now doesn't have a phone number. Their support is fairly decent, so I was reluctant to leave until about a month ago. But getting a quote for 2GB of RAM shouldn't be a 28 hours task

Oh, and I love to have me some nice "paper" trail of what I am buying, especially if sales people are nice enough to offer customized configurations.