Web Host for a Wallpapers Site ???

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of server should I pick for my wallpapers site??
    I need a lot of disk space for my image files, I was looking for something between 20gb-100gb or so.
    Right now it is hosted on **********, who says I can use 1,5gb for free, but when I try to upload more than 10 files at a time, it goes down and wont let me do it. I also thought I could go premium with them, but I've read so many bad experiences that I couldnt take a decision so far.
    I ve checked out other hosts but there are bad experiences with every one of them, and prices are just crazy: for the same services, one costs $0.0001, other costs $10, and other costs $200 (/month), so wtf??

Any ideas??

Hello Horape and Welcome to WHT, how much bandwidth did you need?

What is your budget for this project? 20gb+ reliably along with the bandwidth is going to push you into the $10~12+ per month range.

It would also help to know how much disk space you are *actually* going to need and how much bandwidth you feel you would need.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

*******, Does not sound good...
    Can I ask how much you are using in 'Diskspace' terms, Not what you are expecting?
    Each hosting serivce has their own price list, Not all will be in your requirements list and some might be. In many cases you are paying for service over quality, And quality over serivce it all depends on the service being provided.

Personally, I would steer clear of Oversellers if you were planning on running a Large site. To be honest if you have a lot of hits I would avoid them all together.

Can I ask, How much Bandwidth you will require and what budget you would have?

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    What is your budget for this project? 20gb+ reliably along with the bandwidth is going to push you into the $10~12+ per month range.

It would also help to know how much disk space you are *actually* going to need and how much bandwidth you feel you would need.
    Ok $10-12+, i can afford that.

I dont know what you mean "actually going to need". I have about 150gb images i could upload if it was for free, but it isnt, so i guess i could be happy with about 20gb for now :$.

About the bandwidth.. well, im pretty new to all this webhosting thing, so i dun really know. I would like to have a very good bandwidth for a beginner, but having the security that my account is not gonna get cancelled when I get a nice rank in search engines and a lot of hits on my images*.

*of course it would also be nice to know I dont have to worry about things like single files size. Ive heard people complaining about their accounts being cancelled just because somewhere in the ToS, their hosts said files couldnt be bigger than 5mb or something.

Quote Originally Posted by horape View Post
    Ok $10-12+, i can afford that
    The more you need the more it's going to cost you - I'd suggest you look at a host that has a solid upgrade path such as shared->semi-dedicated->managed dedicated so that when the time comes you don't have to shop around for another provider.

I dont know what you mean "actually going to need". I have about 150gb images i could upload if it was for free, but it isnt, so i guess i could be happy with about 20gb for now :$.
    I was asking what you planned on actually using and not what you planned for future use. As an example if you were only going to upload 5gb of images - you wouldn't need a 30gb plan up front but you would want the option to upgrade later if you needed it.

About the bandwidth.. well, im pretty new to all this webhosting thing, so i dun really know. I would like to have a very good bandwidth for a beginner, but having the security that my account is not gonna get cancelled when I get a nice rank in search engines and a lot of hits on my images*.
    Most providers will suspend you (it's automatic) when you reach your limit and give you the option to pay overages (anywhere from $0.10 per GB up to $4 per gb) or to upgrade your plan. This of course varies from provider to provider so you would need to ask what they do in the case of a bandwidth overage.

*of course it would also be nice to know I dont have to worry about things like single files size. Ive heard people complaining about their accounts being cancelled just because somewhere in the ToS, their hosts said files couldnt be bigger than 5mb or something.
    This is where reading their Terms of Service would come into play and if you have any questions about the ToS contact them and ask them to clarify.

I think you should look into a low end VPS. If you start using large amounts of bandwidth you will get kicked off shared hosting and you will be back here again looking for a new host. Search around before you purchase and make sure you read the hosts Terms Of Service.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

a low end VPS with Cpanel or any control panel is not good enough for almost anything, specially for a Walpapers site on where his software probably is going to create thumbnails and/or resize images. As Mike suggested, go for a shared account to start, you'll always have to time to upgrade if you need it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of server should I pick for my wallpapers site??
    I need a lot of disk space for my image files, I was looking for something between 20gb-100gb or so.
    Right now it is hosted on **********, who says I can use 1,5gb for free, but when I try to upload more than 10 files at a time, it goes down and wont let me do it. I also thought I could go premium with them, but I've read so many bad experiences that I couldnt take a decision so far.
    I ve checked out other hosts but there are bad experiences with every one of them, and prices are just crazy: for the same services, one costs $0.0001, other costs $10, and other costs $200 (/month), so wtf??

Any ideas??
    I think the best Idea for you would be to get yourself a good stable VPS/RPS/VDS with plenty of bandwidth, you will be free to utilize it as much as you can/need.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

I hate that everybody on WHT is now pushing so hard to get each and every person to sign up with a VPS when there is really no need to do so.

Just not going with the bargain-basement shared hosting providers offering the world for pennies is good enough for a new web site. There is absolutely no need for a VPS at this point for this particular person.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I hate that everybody on WHT is now pushing so hard to get each and every person to sign up with a VPS when there is really no need to do so.

Just not going with the bargain-basement shared hosting providers offering the world for pennies is good enough for a new web site. There is absolutely no need for a VPS at this point for this particular person.
    I second this, I do not understand the push to VPS for everyone that comes in here.

VPS requires 512MB to run cPanel anyhow. So I can see it being quite worthless as it would not run on 128 - 256MB Ram (Low End VPS) ROFL.

Anyhow, Always start small and expand. Where is the point in starting large and then not expanding and spending that un-needed cash. Personally if you were going to expand quite rapidly then I would start shared and skip the VPS to a Dedicated Server.

Sighs, VPS are only good to a Point they are nothing special.

Good Luck
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Let me show you guys an example of ToS that confuses me:

Examples of unacceptable material on all Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers include:
    IRC Bots, Proxy Scripts / Anonymizers, Pirated Software / Warez, image, filedump, RapidLeech, or banner-ad services (similar to rapidshare, photobucket, or commercial banner ad rotation)
    So, how am I supossed to use my 10-20gb of disk space?? With php code and text files??

In my website anyone can upload his/her own wallpapers, and after I check them, anyone can see them. Does that count as "image hosting"?? And what about just "image" as many hosts specify in their ToS ???
    Am I being paranoic or what?

That needs clarified - you are not allowed to run an "image dump" site such as a site where people freely upload pictures.

I'll have that provision clarified.

ok now i get it, thanks everyone =)

Let me show you guys an example of ToS that confuses me:
    Wow! This is great - you're actually reading the ToS before deciding. Congratulations, there seem to be so few people who do this...
    So, how am I supossed to use my 10-20gb of disk space?? With php code and text files??
    Well, that's really the point - on a budget account, you're not supposed to use 20GB. When they offer 20GB / 100GB / unlimited GB for pennies, the host is gambling that you won't use it (knowing that most websites need only a few hundred MB). If you do use 20GB or more you'll be getting more than your money's worth and effectively reducing their profits.

Still, there are some hosts who (by reputation anyway) do allow relatively generous disk space and transfer usage provided you don't overuse other resources and start to affect your neighbours. Searching the forums here for reviews should give you an indication of which hosts are likely to be more tolerant.
    Does that count as "image hosting"?? And what about just "image" as many hosts specify in their ToS ???
    If in doubt, ask (and get the answer in writing). Only the host can tell you how they'll interpret their own rules. Even then, be aware that the rules may change later.
    Am I being paranoic or what?
    Nope.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Wow! This is great - you're actually reading the ToS before deciding. Congratulations, there seem to be so few people who do this...
    I agree as well, it's a very good start.

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    If in doubt, ask (and get the answer in writing). Only the host can tell you how they'll interpret their own rules. Even then, be aware that the rules may change later.
    Nope.
    They did, and the Terms of Service have been updated to be more specific as to what is and is not allowed.

The "images" clarified in the provision but it was clarified in the next sentence which imho doesn't make sense either so it's been updated to "imagedumps (similar to photobucket)" which I feel is specific and what it should have said to begin with instead of mentioning photobucket in the next sentence