I transferred my website to a new server (same domain), but now nobody can see it!

It all happened after we logged into the control panel where our domain was registered and changed the IP addresses for ns1.myserver.com and ns2.myserver.com to match the new server.

As far as I know, it is perfectly normal for it to take around 24-48 hours before the cache to update for all users so that they can use the site again.

However, is it normal for the website to start working again, and then in an hour stop working, start working again, and then stop, and then start, and then stop, and etc? It has done this around 6 times for me, and many other users. I know this isn't just "server downtime" either, because it works for some people but not for others.

Anyone have any idea of why it would continue to work and then stop working? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

I would say that this instability is due to the propagation delay only. I have come across this issue few times and in all those cases, it was resolved once the changes were updated. So, just give it a few hours and hopefully, all should be good.

As you said that it was working once,
    1)the domain name resolution has not been steady enough.You can contact your host company ask whether there is something wrong with the DNS server.
    2)something wrong with the server.
    3)Due to a network issue.

Try to Ping/Tracert your website when it is down to locate the problem.
    Hope you can get rid of it soon!
    Regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Punk Rock Geek View Post
    However, is it normal for the website to start working again, and then in an hour stop working, start working again, and then stop, and then start, and then stop, and etc? It has done this around 6 times for me, and many other users.
    That usually means your dns is screwed up. Run your domain through the check at intodns.com and post the errors. My guess is you've changed the nameserver IPs at your registrar but not at your nameservers ("mismatched glue").
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Its usually takes around 24 hours for the dns information to propogations, but sometimes it might takes as much as 48-72 hours for propogations.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Just check if both the name servers are responding fine.

To my guess one is failing.

To check do dig @<namesrvsr.com> <domain name >

I ran it through that DNS site as you suggested foobic.

intodns.com/a-frecords.com

Do the errors listed there have something to do with my problem?

I have had this issue before when changing child nameservers, leave it for 24/48 hours and see if you still get the issue.

Your parent servers are showing the correct nameservers:

ns1.afserver.com
    ns2.afserver.com

However, your nameserver(s) ns1.afserver.com (your valid nameserver) probably shows the old NS records, for example::

a-frecords.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.theplanet.com.
    a-frecords.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.theplanet.com.

You have to change those to ns1.afserver.com and ns2.afserver.com and add the associated A records for those servers in their zone.

ns1.afserver.com. 14400 IN A 75.125.106.194
    ns2 afserver.com. 14400 IN A 75.125.106.195

Delete the references (NS and A records) to theplanet.com, as these servers are no longer valid for your domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Punk Rock Geek View Post
    I ran it through that DNS site as you suggested foobic.

Do the errors listed there have something to do with my problem?
    The issue is quite simple. As per the DNS report, the DNS zone of the domain on the server are using incorrect name servers. You have assigned the name servers

ns1.afserver.com
    ns2.afserver.com

but the DNS zone contains

ns1.theplanet.host
    ns2.theplanet.host

Edit the zone file and place the correct name servers. Once the DNS report becomes clean, your domain will start working fine.

24/48 houre for DNS
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Your parent servers are showing the correct nameservers:

ns1.afserver.com
    ns2.afserver.com

However, your nameserver(s) ns1.afserver.com (your valid nameserver) probably shows the old NS records, for example::

a-frecords.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.theplanet.com.
    a-frecords.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.theplanet.com.
    Okay, thank you. I have fixed the names to be ns1.afserver.com. and ns2.afserver.com., and most of the errors on that DNS info page are now gone.

However, I am getting this error:

ERROR: I could not get any A records for a-frecords.com!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.)
    I'm not sure if that's because the cache hasn't updated or what. I think you explained how to fix this here:

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    You have to change those to ns1.afserver.com and ns2.afserver.com and add the associated A records for those servers in their zone.

ns1.afserver.com. 14400 IN A 75.125.106.194
    ns2 afserver.com. 14400 IN A 75.125.106.195

Delete the references (NS and A records) to theplanet.com, as these servers are no longer valid for your domain.
    But truth be told, I don't really understand what is meant by that. Here's an image of what I currently see: peacepunk.net/images/dns.jpg

Do I need to delete/change anything there, or do I just add the records you posted above?

Actually its the www A record that is missing. Looks like you might have it cnamed. Check in your dns editor and create an A record for WWW (use the other A records as an example) and use the same IP found for A record for @ (plain old a-frerecords.com), namely 75.125.106.194. Then delete the cname. Since everything is working you can probably just skip that and leave the cname there.

You don't have dns set up according to best practices so you will never be completely in the green, but it will work.