affordable payment gateway for startup in canada?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a payment gateway that's reasonably priced (monthly fees, setup fee, royalties, etc...) for a new hosting start up that accepts canadian bank accounts but also will let ME accept payments from both canadian and international customers (i.e. the states). The final criteria would be, I need it to work with plesk billing heh. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Please let me know

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at 2checkout.com.. Processing fees are high, but it's a good option if you're just starting out...

For most affordable you are looking at either InternetSecure or Paypal WSP.

Not sure if InternetSecure is supported by Plesk, but I believe they are Authorize.net "compatible", so the auth.net should work in it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    For most affordable you are looking at either InternetSecure or Paypal WSP.

Not sure if InternetSecure is supported by Plesk, but I believe they are Authorize.net "compatible", so the auth.net should work in it's place.
    It seems like InternetSecure is supported by plesk, I will take a look. Thank you

I am not 100 % sure, however try to contact worldpay, they work with canadian merchant accounts actually.
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook

I would check out Global payments @ www.globalpay.com

Monthly rate of ~$20 + 3% processing fee for MC/VISA, 3.5% for AMEX.
    ~

Google Checkout is pretty good. I've also seen some payment gateways for nonprofits that are really affordable if you qualify.

Hey Jakoota. We're based in Canada and we use Paypal as the main Payment Gateway and it can easily be connected to a Canadian Bank account.

I highly recommend a PayPal business account and Internet Secure.

We've used Internet Secure since 2004 with no problems! When you speak to sales be sure to ask about any promotions, etc. We've got lowered fees, etc due to a promotion at the time.

Best of luck.

BroadlineTim, that sounds great, except their website doesn't work...

I'm planning to use paypal as a secondary payment option. Right now, I'm considering using internet secure. They're the only ones who actually got back to me in a timely manner and they have decent rates. Not the best, but at least it feels like they actually want me as a customer.

Thanks for all the tips so far

Quote Originally Posted by C7mike View Post
    Google Checkout is pretty good. I've also seen some payment gateways for nonprofits that are really affordable if you qualify.
    Not available for Canadian merchants.

Jakoota, if you need a merchant account together with payment gateway i just thought about this company, it is rather popular in Canada.
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by XCart View Post
    Jakoota, if you need a merchant account together with payment gateway i just thought about this company, it is rather popular in Canada.
    Yes they are. You can get a Starter merchant account for as low as $5 (but with higher percentage fees), which is good if you do a very low amount of transactions (less than a few hundred dollars per month). The other packages are competitive with the major players like PSIGate, InternetSecure, and Chase Paymentech.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Start with 2checkout or google checkout. You could also use PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by hostbite View Post
    Start with 2checkout or google checkout. You could also use PayPal.
    Did you bother to read the thread ? Google Checkout does not accept canadians. I would check out chargetoday.com in regards to a canadian merchent as they deal directly with high risk accounts.

Does anyone have any experience with Psigate? They seem to fit the bill, but I can't get a hold of them... (probably not a good sign?)

Did you have rates for them already?

Without prior processing history, PSIGate might refuse you. I believe they have been known to in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Yes they are. You can get a Starter merchant account for as low as $5 (but with higher percentage fees), which is good if you do a very low amount of transactions (less than a few hundred dollars per month). The other packages are competitive with the major players like PSIGate, InternetSecure, and Chase Paymentech.
    Hmmm, that is not bad actually. I knew the system is well-known in Canada, however did not know the details. They also should work with WorldPay if i am not mistaken.
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by XCart View Post
    Hmmm, that is not bad actually. I knew the system is well-known in Canada, however did not know the details. They also should work with WorldPay if i am not mistaken.
    Merchant-Accounts.ca provides WorldPay and another type, if I remember correctly.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakoota View Post
    BroadlineTim, that sounds great, except their website doesn't work...

I'm planning to use paypal as a secondary payment option. Right now, I'm considering using internet secure. They're the only ones who actually got back to me in a timely manner and they have decent rates. Not the best, but at least it feels like they actually want me as a customer.

Thanks for all the tips so far
    Sorry, http://www.globalpaymentsinc.com/ is their website.
    ~

Jakoota, what company have you chosen finally?
    Follow us on Facebook