Domain Masking Question

Alright this is a fairly simple question.

I have web hosting for my current site, let's say for example sake www.shoes.com. That site is all well and fine. Now I want to start a new website called www.coats.com that is an entirely separate site, however I want to host it on the same web hosting. Basically, I have coats.com setup at shoes.com/coats, but instead I want it to say coats.com. I know masking works like that, however I want the links on the page to work in a way so that, when someone goes to coats.com and clicks on an internal link, let's say 'sports jackets', instead of it (the address/browser bar) saying "coats.com" or "shoes.com/coats/sportsjackets.html" it says "coats.com/sportsjackets.html."

I am aware that masking usually just uses a frameset as trick which is why the browser permanently says "coats.com." However, I was wondering if there any possible ways to do this, perhaps with mod_rewrite?

Thanks

Are you using a control panel?

For example, cPanel allows you to host additional domains called "Addon Domains". When you add a domain, a folder is created in your public_html directory, in your case called /coats/. You then place all files related to coats.com into that folder.

Visitors can then go to coats.com and see your website, completely separate to shoes.com. However, if a visitor went to shoes.com/coats, they are not automatically redirected to coats.com. You may have to use a .htaccess file to redirect them....

Hope that helps.

Yea that's very helpful actually. Do you know if basic GoDaddy hosting packages offer this?

Quote Originally Posted by djcubez View Post
    Yea that's very helpful actually. Do you know if basic GoDaddy hosting packages offer this?
    I believe GoDaddy use a custom made control panel. However, perhaps someone who has experience with there hosting services will be able to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by InstantPH View Post
    I believe GoDaddy use a custom made control panel. However, perhaps someone who has experience with there hosting services will be able to confirm.
    Thanks a lot for your help InstantPH, I really appreciate it. I figured out that the GoDaddy Deluxe and Unlimited hosting packages (not the basic) allow for multiple domain hosting and since we are working with a Deluxe package I was able to use the "coats.com" as I described.

Quote Originally Posted by djcubez View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help InstantPH, I really appreciate it. I figured out that the GoDaddy Deluxe and Unlimited hosting packages (not the basic) allow for multiple domain hosting and since we are working with a Deluxe package I was able to use the "coats.com" as I described.
    No problem at all. Come back in a month or so and let us know how your experience with GoDaddy is going.

Good luck!