Thread: VPS Newbie

VPS Newbie

Well I purchased my first VPS about two months ago, from VPSbyte. I was immediately overwhelmed with the crazy control panel, but eventually got used to that (i was already very used to cpanel). I believe it was CentOS running, and I am pretty good with linux terminal.

The one thing that steered me away immediately was the slow speeds of the server. I am able to host stuff in my house with much faster speeds than I am through that vps.

I was paying $20 / month, and was wondering if anybody has any other experiences with VPSbyte, or can recommend another vps service? Or should I just look more into running my sites at my house (not high bandwidth sites)

thanks for any info!

Hi,

Welcome to WHT! What are the specifications of the $20 VPS, and where is it located, and where are you located? Also fro a $20/mo VPS with control panel, it is definitely a bargain, so if you're looking for faster speed + more power and reliability, definitely up your budget a bit.

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I only needed about 20gb or 30gb of space, and not a quick robust server at all, but it just seemed the connection itself was crap (4-5 seconds to initially connect to a site, and 2-3 sec to load a basic page)

For basic stuff like that, I should still need a more expensive VPS? Or should I man up and find better shared hosting than ASO

all depends on what you expect for $20 (you need a CP, managed? how much ram/bandwidth?). Take a look at the offers section and then do a search for reviews on any that catch your eye.

anyone else getting the default LXAdmin page when they hit vpsbyte.com?

I have no experience with VPSbyte, so really can't comment. I'd suggest doing a search on the forums here and look for reviews about them.

If the budget hit is one you can take, I'd strongly suggest going for paying a little bit more for a higher end VPS.
    In2net Network Inc. ( www.in2net.com ) : Providing Service Since 1996!
    Quick Sales Response - [email protected]
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting - Ask us about our Managed Hosting services, too!
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    all depends on what you expect for $20 (you need a CP, managed? how much ram/bandwidth?). Take a look at the offers section and then do a search for reviews on any that catch your eye.

anyone else getting the default LXAdmin page when they hit vpsbyte.com?
    Well I pay $10/mo at ASO for great hosting and great support, but the uptime is absolutely horrible. At least once a day its down for a good 30 minutes.

@vpsbyte.com ~ haha, maybe that answers my question about the quality of the company?

If you don't NEED a vps and your only complaint is uptime I would take a look at a quality shared hosting provider. I've used Innohosting and Knownhost and both are excellent (service, uptime and support). They can meet your budget too.

Just an FYI hosting with bad uptime is not IMHO "great hosting". = )

Hi,

I would suggest you to go for Shared Hosting if you have lots of troubles with VPS. That will be cheap and more reliable for you.
    Thanks,
    Netedge Technology 24x7 webhosting support, Monthly server management, Dedicated support.
    Nelichso Live chat support software

Well not necessary to go to Shared Hosting, Maybe try and find a managed provider we use knownhost.com for our hosting solution and its managed as well. And they basically do anything you need them to do within reason.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

I'm not sure that you need to go to shared j/b you are having problems with a VPS provider. You just need to find a GOOD vps provider. I'm really just saying that not EVERYONE needs a VPS, if your needs are suitable to shared hosting then why pay for what you don't need? Whatever you end up using IMHO you should do your research and find a quality host that you can grow with.

Quote Originally Posted by Crath View Post
    I only needed about 20gb or 30gb of space, and not a quick robust server at all, but it just seemed the connection itself was crap (4-5 seconds to initially connect to a site, and 2-3 sec to load a basic page)

For basic stuff like that, I should still need a more expensive VPS? Or should I man up and find better shared hosting than ASO
    If you're actually going to use 20-30GB of space a shared hosting plan will not be a good option. I would recommend looking into a low to mid managed VPS, or you can contact support for your current one and see if they can move you to a different server or help you fix the problem.

i agree with all the above statements, it seems like even shared hosting could do right for you, and there's as far as i know much more reviews and ease of a already constantly suitable shared hosting provider that you can check into and know about or test before going with, or if you still want a vps i can assure you from personal use and from the likes of others id recommend , xygenhosting.com they'll even help you or do it for you and trasnfer from old to new etc, check them out, might be better for ya etc. Best of luck!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

If the OP is actually going to use 20-30GB of space, then finding a reputable shared hosting provider may be an uphill battle.....

Just because you get a VPS does not mean your websites will preform quicker/faster then standard shared hosting. The biggest determinant in VPS performance is of course connection, however RAM is a HUGE factor as well. A 128MB VPS running cPanel is not going to preform better then a shared server with a Dual Quad core Xeon with 32GB of RAM / RAID 10 that may be slightly oversold. Simply put, as long as you're being housed in a reputable data-center, then I'm assuming you're experiencing problems a shortage of RAM and not the actual server connection. That being said, if you are being housed out of someone's bedroom... ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    If the OP is actually going to use 20-30GB of space, then finding a reputable shared hosting provider may be an uphill battle.....

Just because you get a VPS does not mean your websites will preform quicker/faster then standard shared hosting. The biggest determinant in VPS performance is of course connection, however RAM is a HUGE factor as well. A 128MB VPS running cPanel is not going to preform better then a shared server with a Dual Quad core Xeon with 32GB of RAM / RAID 10 that may be slightly oversold. Simply put, as long as you're being housed in a reputable data-center, then I'm assuming you're experiencing problems a shortage of RAM and not the actual server connection. That being said, if you are being housed out of someone's bedroom... ouch.
    howabout my own bedroom?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=880691

if you could give me a hand in that topic, that'd be great, thanks!