script installation problem

I wonder if anyone can help me here. A friend of mine contacted me with a problem she's having with installing a script she purchased. The installation instructions sound quite straightforward, simply upload, create database, adjust config.php and upload database files. The home page shows successfully, but all the links lead to non existent pages so the problem seems to be in config.php.
    The only thing that looks like it could be causing the problem is this line:
    define('ROOT_DIR', realpath(dirname(public_html/myspace)));

So it's asking for the path to the root diretory, but where do i write that?
    I've tried: ('ROOT_DIR', realpath(public_html/filename))); but still no joy,
    and i tried several variations.
    Looking at other paths in config.php they are written as such:
    define('MP3FLASHLIST_DIR',ROOT_DIR."/uploads/playlist");
    Without all those )))'s as in the ROOT dir path.
    Can anyone tell me how that first line should be wriiten assuming my root directory is public_html/mydir ?
    (ps. there is no support forum for this script or faq so i'm hoping someone here could help, also could the problem be that this path needs to be set before uploading the database files?)

Quote Originally Posted by zbdblues View Post
    The only thing that looks like it could be causing the problem is this line:
    define('ROOT_DIR', realpath(dirname(public_html/myspace)));

Can anyone tell me how that first line should be wriiten assuming my root directory is public_html/mydir ?
    I expect for Unix:

define('ROOT_DIR','/public_html/mydir');

or

define('ROOT_DIR','/public_html/mydir/');

And for Windows, something like:

define('ROOT_DIR','c:\public_html\mydir');

or

define('ROOT_DIR','c:\public_html\mydir\');

thanks tim, i'll try that now.

Nope, it still doesn't work. If i leave that line unedited i get a home page, if i edit it, i get an error. When i get the home page, none of the links work and yet they do point to the file/folder that they are supposed to go to, but i get a 404 error. I just can't figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by zbdblues View Post
    Nope, it still doesn't work. If i leave that line unedited i get a home page, if i edit it, i get an error.
    What's the error? What's in the log files?

For a typical *nix hosting server I'd try /home/username/public_html/folder.

You could also try to fetch the directory automatically with:
    PHP Code:
    define('ROOT_DIR'realpath(dirname(__FILE__))); 
    But yes, reading error messages and logs would also be a good idea!
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. This is the website: http://myspace.yourjoinit.com/
    Now, let's assume the config is correct. This home page looks fine, but if you click any of the links you get a 404. Now the url it attempts to go to for example if you click 'custom friends space generator'. It will go to this url: http://myspace.yourjoinit.com/friends, however the path to the friends folder in file manager is /apps/friends. Now the index.php calls for the apps folder, so i assume that's why it's not mentioned in the url, plus i have found an identical site which goes to the same destination. Also, if you try to go to the file directly in your browser by adding the extra folder name, i.e http://myspace.yourjoinit.com/apps/friends you get an error message relating to the root path as previously mentioned. That same error message is in the log. Now i have set this up exactly to instructions and cannot figure out what the problem can be, and as i mentioned before there doesn't seem to be a forum relating to this script. Any ideas anyone????

If you installed the script according to instructions, it isn't working and it isn't supported, my suggestion would be to stop wasting your time, delete it now and look for something better.

Otherwise be prepared to put a lot of work into fixing the code, starting with:
    1. Finding out how it's generating those (incorrect?) links in the menu
    2. Finding out what file it's trying to include when it generates that error (/home/username/public_html/myspace/include/db.php maybe?) and why it can't load it.

Edit: My earlier suggestion of possibly using dirname(__FILE__) to determine the root directory will not work when you're calling pages in subdirectories like /apps/index.php.
    Last edited by foobic; 08-05-2009 at 01:57 AM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hi again, thanks for your reply. I found an identical site to this one which works and goes to the same urls. (i.e www.sitename/friends) so i assume the url's are correct. It is trying to include include/db.php and the first line in db.php is asking for adodb.php now that's as far as i can go with my extremely limited knowledge! The adodb file is above my head i'm afraid, i'm not sure what it's there for or even if the browser gets that far.

It's ROOT_DIR/include/db.php that can't be found, so if /home/username/public_html/myspace/include/db.php exists then probably the script has the wrong value for ROOT_DIR somehow, when called from apps/friends/index.php.

If the links are right, did you perhaps miss uploading some .htaccess files?
    Chris

Now there's an idea! I've been searching this script with a fine tooth comb and i was just wondering if there was a hosting requirement needed for this script which isn't installed, but i didn't think about .htaccess! Thanks for being ever so helpful, really do appreciate it.

Foobic, you are an absolute genius! The script was uploaded as a zipped file and i 'viewed' the contents to find a .htaccess was included but it was in a folder which obviously reffered to a previous installation. I just copied out of the folder and into public_html and voila! Thank you ever so much for your help.