Payment Question

I'm currently in the process of making a website that sells services. I was wondering how I could setup something that as soon as the customer pays for the service it would automatically send an e-mail out with the information.

Through integrating the payment into a script (php, asp etc) that sends out the email with the information.

If you need help, I could integrate such a system.

Quote Originally Posted by oldunis View Post
    If you need help, I could integrate such a system.
    Yes, if you don't mind I could really use the help. I know very little about website coding.

Jdjohnson, since you plan to build on-line store, you would better just use one of existing shopping cart scripts. You won't need to build the site yourself, after the script installation you will manage the store from the admin back-end (add products, get information about orders/users, configure settings), all that will be done from one place (admin area).

Most shopping carts support multiple gateways to charge credit cards on-line, so you will be able to choose the one best for you and use it.

So if you plan to expand the store in the future, you would better use built shopping cart. If you will have simple site with several products, the easiest solution would be to use PayPal Buy now buttons for example:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...erview-outside
    they are easily incorporated into any website pages.

Do you think a shopping script will be too much for you?
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by XCart View Post
    Jdjohnson, since you plan to build on-line store, you would better just use one of existing shopping cart scripts. You won't need to build the site yourself, after the script installation you will manage the store from the admin back-end (add products, get information about orders/users, configure settings), all that will be done from one place (admin area).

Most shopping carts support multiple gateways to charge credit cards on-line, so you will be able to choose the one best for you and use it.

So if you plan to expand the store in the future, you would better use built shopping cart. If you will have simple site with several products, the easiest solution would be to use PayPal Buy now buttons for example:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...erview-outside
    they are easily incorporated into any website pages.

Do you think a shopping script will be too much for you?
    I don't think a shopping cart would work for me. My business is going to sell services it is a sports handicapping website. So the services I will sell will be during the sports season so I most likely will only be selling a couple services at a time not hundreds of product. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jdjohnson View Post
    I don't think a shopping cart would work for me. My business is going to sell services it is a sports handicapping website. So the services I will sell will be during the sports season so I most likely will only be selling a couple services at a time not hundreds of product. What do you think?
    well a shopping cart script can be used for two products to thousands of products. the essential thing is that it manages everything for you: customer signups, payments, reports, etc

a few opensource ones that I recommend are opencart, prestashop and magento

alternatively you could use Paypal's free shopping cart feature and have a basic script that would email your clients the info once they've made payment
    John Lee
    Vodien Internet Solutions Pte Ltd -------------- Latest Intel Servers Now Available!
    Singapore Datacentre ★★ Native English staff ★★ Singapore Web Hosting
    http://www.vodien.com ★★ 24/7 Super Support ★★ Call +6562886264

Quote Originally Posted by vodien View Post
    well a shopping cart script can be used for two products to thousands of products. the essential thing is that it manages everything for you: customer signups, payments, reports, etc

a few opensource ones that I recommend are opencart, prestashop and magento

alternatively you could use Paypal's free shopping cart feature and have a basic script that would email your clients the info once they've made payment
    Do you know how I can setup the script to send the info once payment is received.

Essentially for a really basic setup (IPN, security, aside), this will work:

In your Paypal form or Buy It Now button, ensure that you pass these 2 variables along:

<input type="hidden" name="return" value="thanks.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="rm" value="2">

Then, create www.yourdomain.com/thanks.php, and have that script send out emails using the POST information that paypal sends you. For instance, the buyer's email address is $_POST['payer_email']
    John Lee
    Vodien Internet Solutions Pte Ltd -------------- Latest Intel Servers Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by vodien View Post
    Essentially for a really basic setup (IPN, security, aside), this will work:

In your Paypal form or Buy It Now button, ensure that you pass these 2 variables along:

<input type="hidden" name="return" value="thanks.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="rm" value="2">

Then, create www.yourdomain.com/thanks.php, and have that script send out emails using the POST information that paypal sends you. For instance, the buyer's email address is $_POST['payer_email']
    Thank you for your help. If you don't mind could you explain the second part little more I'm very new at this stuff. I used BlueVoda to make this wensite so this should tell you how basic I am. My understanding of your second part is I make a page in my website that states www.yourdomain.com/thanks.php. Save it as thanks.php and then I'm confused about the rest.

Well, actually for the first part you can use Paypal's interface to get the Buy Now button done(I'm assuming that you'll be using Buy Now buttons). Just go to Merchants Services >> Create Paypal Payment Button >> Fill up the form, and remember to go to Step 3: Customise advanced features. In step 3, you'll want to put down http://www.yourdomain.com/thanks.php (or something of your choice).

In thanks.php, you'll need the following code (customise it to match your own email and domain).

Again, this is a very basic script, so you'll need to beef it up more

<?php

$to = $_POST['payer_email'];
    $subject = 'Successful Payment';
    $message = '
    Thank you for your purchase!

We will be sending you your order shortly

To download our white paper, please visit http://www.yoursite.com

';
    $headers = 'From:[email protected]' . "\r\n";

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

?>
    John Lee

Vodien is correct, you could use PayPal 'Buy now' buttons, implement them into the site and then implement the script that would send out the letters.

Actually it may be worth hiring some developers to make the job for you. That should not cost a lot.

Also as alternative you could use a shopping cart, its advantages would be total automation of the management process - you will be able to update the products/services information from the admin end as well as review information about orders/users, etc.

So, with the shopping cart software you receive powerful software that can be expanded in the future. With PayPal buttons and custom script that would be simple easy-to-use solution.
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook