Domain Transfer Fees

I have a client of a client who purchased their domain from an unmentionable web host (banned here on WHT (here's a hint: globe @) and they will not give him the transfer code to transfer the domain unless he pays $25 dollars.

Is this within ICANN's rules? I've tried to search ICANN's site, but it's not exactly user friendly and I'm NO expert on domains. This company uses Enom as their registrar.

I advised the client to tell his client to contact ENOM immediately as the domain expires today.

According to the TOS of this web host, the domain will be released after 40 days, but the odds of getting it back after that time is not favorable in my experience as many cybersquaters grab up these domains.

Any suggestions? Anyone know what the policy is on losing registrars charging fees to release transfer code?

Thanks!
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I got the code for 2 domains at that company about a week ago, they were registered in "d.are.f" website, i was afraid they wouldn't release them so i asked for unlock and transfer code just 2 months after registration, to have enough time to fight for them.

I was lucky and they released the codes and unlocked the domains.

If i were you i would contact enom asap, use the phone if needed, enom can move the domains to another reseller account, i also suggest you to enter access.enom.com with the account password at that company, it worked for me.
    access.enom.com will not give you auth code but you will be able to edit whois info, in some cases domains are registered in that company's name instead of customer's name.
    Mousa: [as Rambo prepares to play Afghan game 'buzkashi'] God must love crazy people.
    Rambo: [getting on horse] Why?
    Mousa: He make so many of them!

Thanks for the tips. I'll pass it along.

It appears this is what this unscrupulous host is doing.

They registered the domain in their OWN name and when the client requested the transfer, they denied it and said they will okay it ONLY after a $25 fee has been paid.

They're telling the client that the owner (which should be the client) is denying the request, so he must fax all of this documentation including legal id to them with a $25 fee to "process" the request so that he can transfer the domain.

It's host's like these that give us a bad name! No wonder they are BANNED here.

As this is the last day of the domain's registration, I'd do it. Get the name, move on. I would, of course, shout to the rooftops once it was done with documentation of the actions of this company so it might help someone else from being victimized like this....but get the name secured first.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

It all sucks, but isn't it worth $25 to 'escape' the pain ?

i wouldn't transfer out today, i would keep the name with them and renew it today

a domain transfer takes up to 5 days, the site will go down in hours, so renewing is the best option to me, after the next 45 days pass, you'll have to continue the fight to transfer away.
    Mousa: [as Rambo prepares to play Afghan game 'buzkashi'] God must love crazy people.
    Rambo: [getting on horse] Why?
    Mousa: He make so many of them!

Actually, the client was wrong about the renewal date. It's Sep 26th, so he has some time, but still the jerkoffs who do this crap. You'd think that enom wouldn't want to be associated with this reseller and would cut ties with them as for the layman, there's no difference between enom and this host. They don't know how the reseller game really works. They think this host is enom and that enom is this host.