Choose 1 quality most important to you

What is the #1 thing you want a host to have? It can only be one.

-Reliable (99.9%+ Uptime)
    -24/7 Support
    -Cheap Prices
    -Many good reviews
    -Age (Been around for 1+ years)
    -Other
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Making us choose just one option is mean! Interesting idea though.

24/7 Support

Actually that is a hard choice between these points. Any ways I can say that I will put the cheap prices down the list. Quality,reliability and good support will come first in my opinion. I don't know if one thing among this can be put as number one choice. That is my thought only hope you will get many opinions here.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Personally it would be "reliability". If my service is up all the time, I wouldn't need support as I am capable of managing everything else.

I know some where end user accessible "backups" would be the most important things as mo matter how many times they are told, and no matter how many times they make the same mistakes I often hear…"hey I overwrote my files and screwed things up and I didn't have a renamed/copy of the files, how do I use the restore again.."

Others for lack of experience need support even if their services have experienced 100% uptime. They simply need support for the "how do I..".

Prices are actually at the bottom of my list. It's what is provided of value for the price involved. This host charging $100 a month could have more value than another charging $5.00 a month as it's all in what is provided.

Age, sure, if you read these forums you will see people complaining about hosts that have been in business measured in days and not years.

One of the few and if not the only place I tell people to research a host are on these forums. Review sites/numbers can be skewed by a few or the masses..

I would have to go with reliability as well, though sometimes you need good support for more than just downtime or problems, you will need it if you want help getting started.

24/7 Support.
    No one can have 100% uptime. This is technology and technology do break sometime even when in best hands and without warning. So there should be someone available to help you out during those times. And if you do get that timely help, you will automatically call them as reliable and give good reviews.

Support and response time is most important in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gray929 View Post
    What is the #1 thing you want a host to have? It can only be one.

-24/7 Support
    -Cheap Prices
    -Many good reviews
    -Other
    Many good reviews
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Personally it would be "reliability". If my service is up all the time, I wouldn't need support as I am capable of managing everything else.
    Agreed. Good uptime should also ensure a decent reputation, at least usually. Support lines will not be overwhelmed with "server issue" reports, and this is of help too.

Many good reviews

Many good reviews, because that usually includes everything else!

If I'd have to choose only one, it's an easy question.

This is the most important factor.

-24/7 Support
    A helpful support is great, but it won't matter if the servers are not reliable. If the servers were reliable, I wouldn't have to contact support.

-Cheap Prices
    You get what you pay for. I'd rather pay more, than less, if I would know my website would be online with no trouble. Server uptime still most important.

-Many good reviews
    Reviews are great, if there are many of them. Does the reviews say the servers are reliable?

Sure older often means established and reliable.
    || Andreas Sandin - - Fredhost shared hosting
    || Cheap Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    || www.fredhost.com - - support at fredhost.com

All have a huge impact when choosing a host, but I'd have to say that RELIABILITY is the most important for me. Recently I signed up with a host which was recieving great reviews, then their entire system crashed leaving me with no VPS for weeks. Just goes to show that there's no sure way to find the best host - everyone has different experiences.

In some cases I wonder whether 'Age' of a company means anything. You can often find that as companies grow, their customer service becomes stretched; also an important factor - 'CUSTOMER SERVICE'.

I love this thread! Great read. Andreas, nice reply.

Quote Originally Posted by FH-Andreas View Post
    Sure older often means established and reliable.
    Or equivalent experience. I don't mind a brand new host if it was started by individual(s) with previous hosting experience working somewhere else. It's the "I want to try being a web host" companies that scare me the most.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Reliability obviously. A good price is good, but it sometimes makes sense to pay a few extra $$$ for the piece of mind.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

I look for 'honestly' I want a web hosting company that will be honest with me from day one. The thing that gets to me is when web hosting companies experience downtime and blame it on other issues. Why push the blame? If its an issue that your company did, admit it. I will think more of you then pushing the blame.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

For me, I prefer 24/7 Support. This is because even when there are server downtime, at least there are people attending to it.

I think 24/7 support is most helpful, because you know that your host is there to help you. There is nothing worse than when you need assistance and no one is around.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

The first thing is UP time of the server. Second is the response time of support team. If both are good then you can move forward.

I would say the most important is not closing down halfway.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

many good reviews... just because a host has high uptime doesnt mean there servers arent slow as heck.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Actually 3 in this order:

Reliability
    Support
    Cost Effective

www.getinspace.com

Boutique Dedicated Servers, VPS and Managed Servers 877-711-HOST

Speed

I'm not the kind of person that needs 100gb of space for his web sites. Even just 20gb and I'm fine. But I want as fast PHP execution and data transfer as possible.
    Last edited by X-Fi6; 08-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Attitude towards customers. It would be perfect if a hosting company treated customers as friends and understood that the company's success totally depends on customers.

Our of this attitude we will get great support service automatically :-)
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook

24/7 Support is what I think is the most important.
    The Vanguard Project - New Science Fiction/Fantasy novel! Check it out!

I think server uptime is the most important here, as well as good support. Doesn't have to be true 24/7, but I shouldn't have to wait 12-15 hours for a reply. However, I can handle most issues by myself, so server uptime is more important for me.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

I would have to go with:

My current isp has shown me that as long it's always up and working, doesn't matter that their support sucks. Boy does their support suck, but thankfully I've only had to call them twice in 6 years. At the same time, I've only had downtime 4 times in 6 years, one of those was scheduled and one was someone cut a major fiber optic line, taking out the whole province.

Reliability.

If need to chosen in the above list - i vote for "Reliable (99.9%+ Uptime)" that what you need for your web business.

But yes, support is also an important factor when one decide to chose hosting> then comes "Cost" and others
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

Reliability is the most important quality I look for in a web host. Good reviews and quality support are generally a by product of reliable service IMO.

I guess I'll just choose the first one

uptime
    real uptime

It would be useful to run a poll on this question - it would show the results in a convenient for members way. Since it is really interesting and important question actually.
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook

I would have to go with reliability (99.9%+ Uptime)
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Affordable Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

Well, I think 24/7/365 support is important. Since your site will be essentially always be open, your host supports team should always be available, weekends and holidays included.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Support is the most important to me. As long as there is always someone to respond and resolve any issues in a timely manner then I am happy.

For me it is responsiveness of my website (which given the choices I guess puts me in reliability). I have moved several times looking for this quality.

It seems to me though that a good host will have nearly all the items you list and you won't need to make a choice. Except for perhaps, cheap. At least, that is what I found with my current host.

security. without it, the rest is not as meaningful.

Definately reliability. It's alot easier to get good support when their own network is stable.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

6 Things Need To Know Before Signing Up a Web Hosting

When you are looking for a web hosting provider, there are many things need to weigh up. The following 6 factors are most important.

* Price: when you open home pages of web hosting companies’ website, the most conspicuous item impacts you is the price. They put the lowest price to attract visitors. Normally, there is a little * mark following the big price number. Now you need to find out what conditions this little * will tell you. Look at the bottom of the page, you will see something like, *Applies to new accounts only, Conditions Apply, or * $x.xx /month pricing is available with a 24 month prepaid billing cycle.(Anyway, most of hosting’s plans what I recommend bellow monthly cost same as one cup good espresso, definitely it cheap)
    * Money back policy: some web hosting companies offer 30 days money back guarantee, you need to find out and understand full money back policy. The setup fee and domain registration fee (if applicable) are not refundable. Usually there is certain process to cancel your account, like “you must contact xxxxxxxxx Customer Team, Monday through Friday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. or via email at [email protected]***********”.
    * Hosting features: going through the entire hosting feature list, to be sure listed hosting features are good enough for your website. Sometimes the hosting feature is not defined clearly; you need to check out with the web host. If you need to run a software that is not listed, ask the web host if they have the software included in the hosting package and if you are allowed to use it.
    * Customer support: there are ways to test how good the customer support is. Talking with representatives of the web hosting provider is the best way; making a phone call, chatting online, or sending an email. The direct communication always helps you to make a judgment. Many web hosting providers provide support center or help center on their website to help you find most answers.
    * Free domain name: Some web hosts offer free domain for life or free domain forever services that mean you get free domain registration as long as you keep your hosting account with the host. Some hosts offer free domain registration only for first year or initial contract period. When your contract is renewed, you need to pay your domain registration fee. Sometimes Hosting company don’t give you free domain, but they give you another good feautures (good example- HostGator)
    * Bandwidth usage: there are some restrictions on bandwidth usage, even some hosting companies offer unlimited bandwidth. Usually they put this condition in “terms of service” section of their website. If you have a high bandwidth usage site, like ecommerce site, gaming site, or downloading site, it maybe better to go to dedicated server hosting or VPS hosting.