Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HostDime is out

HostDime is out

Sigh

Apparently an APC hard reset the whole datacenter?

Yeah thats odd 2 of my severs are up and my main one is down.

There phone service is down too now mine is ringing.

I just talked to Miguel on the phone and he said there was a fire? He's not sure all the details yet but he was running into the NOC, and promised me a call back.

Manny is telling me that a transformer exploded in a nearby building, and people may be dead. The fire department made them shut down. Everything should be coming up now he says.

Down from several locations still. I guess they will slowly bring it all back up!

Wow, hope for the best. What city is their DC located in?

Quote Originally Posted by larry2148 View Post
    Wow, hope for the best. What city is their DC located in?
    Orlando, Fl

Thanks for your patience, updates can be found here http://forums.hostdime.com/showthread.php?p=39031

Down 4 hours and counting

Still down here as well.

Why didn't the generators kick in, once you turned off power?

We're back up here. Total service downtime = 4h24m. Last outage like this I experienced was May 2008 which lasted >6 hours.

Just popped back up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Excellent question. Let's see if Mr. HostDime is as eager to answer this. Something doesn't quite add up with the "We had to shut down as a pre-cautionary measure" explanation insofar as some of their NOC racks remained up, powered, and accessable during the entire outage event.

From http://forums.hostdime.com/showthread.php?t=7780 :
    How Long to the Real Cause of Today's Problems Comes Out?
    I understand there was an incident regarding the data center external power supply, but how does a facility with its own back up power generator and UPS, have a huge issue when their external power is disrupted, and how does Hostdime plan to prevent this occurrence in the future. Did someone forget to pay the fuel bill or not put in the proper disconnection switch to remove the data center from the grid?

I’m running out of fingers on a hand to count the number of major power issues in the data center in less than two years.
    Last edited by evilelmo; 08-03-2009 at 08:00 PM.

I asked about their backup generator in the past when this happened and I never received a response.

Also, we're going on 12 hours now and a lot of my servers are still slow as hell. Their main site is currently down and the packet loss to ANY server in their datacenter is very, very high.

Seeing that as well. Almost every refresh of my site results in "The connection was reset" Firefox error.

subigo,
    I was speaking with you on aim. The last report I got was "yep, they all look good again". Are you seeing issues again?

Maupinf,
    If you are seeing issues. Can you send me a pm and I'll contact you personally?

My server was down for more than 12 hours and submitted a few tickets without any resolution.

What's going on with hostdime?

Really a big disappointment seeing this happen on a data center and as wondering how come power generator backup never switch over.

I had a big question mark on this ???

wow that is crazy and what is even crazier is that we live about an hour from Orlando too so im surprised i didn't hear it on the local news.

Paul, this morning things look good. No connective issues so far.

Would be curious as well why the backup generators weren't used yesterday to keep the data center running if external power was cut/had to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    They did kick in. There was a guy on a transformer so the fire department to be safe made the data center kill the generator in case there was back feed while attempting the rescue.

As Mix said above, a freak incident was a chain effect to something many didn't have control over. We are glad no one was hurt and the person, who was mentally ill didn't die. We sincerely apologize for any downtime you may experienced. I assure we had 25+ staff working around the clock to get things back to normal. We will happily apply any credit based on our SLA http://www.hostdime.com/policies/sla/ please file a ticker or a call so we can apply this for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast