Thread: Hostgator

Hostgator

We checked out around 25 companies on shared hosting, after unbelievable problems with our last host, Apollo Hosting, which is not longer in business, as Endurance International, Inc. took over the name and their accounts last week.

We were most impressed with Hostgator, and their many good reviews, some bad, but no host is perfection.

We had thought about going with VPS and decided that we wanted for now to stay with shared hosting plan.

Hopefully all will go well. They do ask for ratings on how your help requests are handled, and speaking plainly, how could they be worse that what we left, a web host that deleted our entire website in error? That has to be the ultimate nightmare.

So I guess as long as Hostgator does not run a corrupt script like Apollo did and delete our website, we are off and running!

I'm glad you're enjoying Hostgator, and yes deleting your entire website in error is very serious.

Apollo Hosting, which is not longer in business, as Endurance International, Inc. took over the name and their accounts last week.
    "One by one, the free peoples of Middle Earth fell to the power of the Ring. But there were some who resisted." We shall see which will be the ones to resist. Hopefully Hostgator will be among them.

There are a few host out there I believe that are not looking to just get bought up. If one can make it through this recession, they can make it through anything! At least that is my opinion in the whole scheme of things. We have no plans to sell or raise capital, even though we get offers monthly.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Hostgator Okay!

Well, they migrated our site Sunday on the day order placed.
    They worked diligently to correct some non functiong forms in a timely manner. We then ordered the DNS changed which also was done quickly.

Our Europe office came in this morning to have emails working, site running, all seemingly in great working order. And our office in the USA had some questions/few problems that were taken care of today.

So have to say right now we are liking Hostgator!

I recently switched to Hostgator and have 3 sites up and running on my new plan.

I have been with hostgator for a couple of months now and really have no complaints and a lot of people I know recommended them and still use them so I wouldn't worry you are in safe hands

I hear good things also...however no host is perfect or immune to hardware failure. You say your old host deleted your website...perhaps because of a hard drive failure?

You should always backup everything, regardless of how acclaimed a certain web host is.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    I hear good things also...however no host is perfect or immune to hardware failure. You say your old host deleted your website...perhaps because of a hard drive failure?

You should always backup everything, regardless of how acclaimed a certain web host is.
    I could not agree more. Most hosts do keep backups in separate locations, but sometimes backups can be partially corrupted and you won't know this until you go to restore them. (its rare, but it does happen sometimes.) So, it never hurts to keep your own backups.
    Last edited by everity; 08-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Backup copies should always be kept off-site, espically for shared plans!

No matter which hosting company you choose, you should always keep your own backups

Some web hosting companies offer backup services. So what I would like to say that is not recommended backup from the same company where you have web hosting account.
    Just do not keep all eggs in one basket

Quote Originally Posted by VIPoint View Post
    While choosing a hosting service you should always ask for backup service. It's not just in case when u get your account deleted but also if you want to restore your account due to some reason u can do it without harm...
    Very true. We get a few tickets a week where customers have simply deleted a file in error, whilst any host worth it's salt will have a backup system in place it's recommended to have your own just incase.

Backup for the web sites you have as well as antivirus for your PC is something personal and you need to take care of this personally and never forget about this. That is very important stuff
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

If you haven't learned it from the 12 that posted before me...

Always maintain your own off-site/off-server *current* backups of your account if it is important to you. Even if a host says that they provide backups for you - you're up the creek without your own if something really bad or unexpected happens.

Sorry, I really had to post it up as even though it's posted every day people still come here complaining that their host lost their data Maybe after somebody reads this 15+ times it will "click" in their head ... I hope!