Ping results - What does it really mean to the customer?

In many webhosting offers here at WHT, I can see a lot of hosts asking us to test their IPs. How is it relevant for someone who is looking for hosting? Does it really show how good the server is compared to others? Just need clarification here as I am contemplating to put this as well on my hosting website if you guys say it's worthwhile to do so.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Depending on the type of service you're selling, it could or could not be useful. If you're into the dedicated server market for example, many people have ping sensitive programs they will be running which is why the test is provided.

If you're simply selling shared hosting then it's rather useless.

Nope. Ping is simply a network diagnostic tool to check if a network device is reachable. Aside from that it has little value for comparing hosts. Tracert would be better.

A graph of ping results over time (I use www.fruk.net) is quite useful sometimes. The graphs I get from my current hosting company (and also my current ISP) are quite different from the graphs for previous hosts and ISPs, which regularly showed dropped and delayed packets. A good ping is no guarantee of success, but an unreliable ping is an indicator of trouble. I agree you need tracert to narrow down the problem if there is one.
    Phil McKerracher
    www.mckerracher.net

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post
    A graph of ping results over time (I use www.fruk.net) is quite useful sometimes. The graphs I get from my current hosting company (and also my current ISP) are quite different from the graphs for previous hosts and ISPs, which regularly showed dropped and delayed packets. A good ping is no guarantee of success, but an unreliable ping is an indicator of trouble. I agree you need tracert to narrow down the problem if there is one.
    But those dropped and delayed packets can be due to any hop between you and the host. Thus, you cannot draw any valid conclusions about the host themselves just from that. It could you are just farther away from one host than the other.

Ping results are primary tests to test the speed of network. Though indepth are tracert results, however the quickest ones are ping results. It just shows the latency of connection to the server from your location of ping command.

For eg, if you ping 127.0.0.1 you will notice the time reachable is less than 1ms. Whereas if you ping some external website, you will notice a higher time value in ping result.

Ping or tracert simply checks the path and response time of the network. It cannot measure bandwidth, server performance, not to mention the reputation of the company.

8. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!