Hybrid View

Searching for my first VPS

Hi all, I finally got my website all built..and now its time to find a host..naturally...with all the gazillion options...I'm looking for some tips..

In particular what questions do I need to ask..how do actually determine my memory requirements.

As of now I will be running:
    Tomcat/Mysql/ImageMagik and will need SSL. (I'm guessing I will need ~512MB Ram, say 128MB-200MB for tomcat, 250Ram or so for MySql. Is there even a way to really control/configure mysql's memory usage.) ...currently I'm shooting for a $30/monthly solution...which will be hard for 512mb from what I can tell.

Questions I see that I should be asking? or just have in general for vps services:
    1) Do your provided backups? and what is the recovery time for a backup should I need to restore?

2) Bandwidth Overage Costs? Do I get a warning prior to going over?

3) Some VPS providers..list applications (like ruby/mysql/etc..)or supports 100 webservers..What does this mean? does it simply mean they have prepared images with these apps? Shouldn't I be able to install anything I want? (personally I would love a prepared image with tomcat/mysql/(email?)..but that would just be a nice bonus.

4) SSL can be done by the hosting service or myself (on my own tomcat instance)..technically? I assume in most cases if they claim ssl support, the VPS hosting service will handle the SSL prior to the request hitting my tomcat (if so I take it I give them a url pattern(s) that will force ssl?..i.e. foobar.com/login.html..their 'bigip' or front facing routers will force a redirect to https? is this how they typically support SSL? I take I will either need to purchase a cert myself, or via them for my domain?)

5) Firewalling? I assume this is more of less handled..but do I need to follow up on this?...do I simply provide them with the list of open ports I need? (I will need to issue outbound http/email server access (assuming I don't use a 'local' email solution.).

6) Managed/Non-Managed..I assume an un-manged vps, will still have some type of basic monitoring panel? (bandwidth/cpu/ram/restart..etc?)

7) Costs? setup fees/cancellation costs?

8) I assume All VPS solutions allow root access to my image? via a shell? (do I Really need to ask this?) (x-Forwading?..I know in general this is bad..but would be really nice to have for first deployment).

yeah...I know its a lot of questions..but..I'm new at this

1) Backups you should always keep, even if your host does. Most of the hosts will only over backups with fast recovery on managed services so that is going to be more expensive.

2) You will have a control panel showing usage and most systems email before overage.

3) Yeh thats what it means, although normally better to use your own install as your not running things that you don't need also their template could be insecure....

4) SSl would be done by you, unless you have a fully managed server.

5) Firewalling, don't assume anything most hosts block Zero ports, its up to you. Again when firewalls are included its going to be more expensive.

6) Yeh normally the same functions but one they do the work and the other your left defending for yourself.

7) Host per host basis, i would stay away from ones that have cancellation costs though.

8) Yeh all should give full root and SSH, some managed services might not though depends on the contract for management.

Don't forget to ask about:
    1. Number of VPS's per host?
    2. Do they oversell?
    3. Support reply times.
    4. Money back guarrainte
    5. Setup Times...
    6. How long have they been around....
    7. Xen or OpenVZ (XEN stop's overselling)

I would look for 256mb or 512mb VPS, 512mb would be better though.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

thanx for the feedback

many thanx for your feedback, I was infact going to check you guys out..but alas it looks zanyhost is offline well best of luck to u guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDano View Post
    many thanx for your feedback, I was infact going to check you guys out..but alas it looks zanyhost is offline well best of luck to u guys.
    Sorry about that, the downtime was planned maintenance that lasted longer than we was expecting.
    However I am happy to say it did not effect any of our clients.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Sure enough

Yup finally got may account (still waiting on VM/IP details).

heh..EBAY was down too..which complicated the ordering process.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    1) Backups you should always keep, even if your host does. Most of the hosts will only over backups with fast recovery on managed services so that is going to be more expensive.

2) You will have a control panel showing usage and most systems email before overage.

3) Yeh thats what it means, although normally better to use your own install as your not running things that you don't need also their template could be insecure....

4) SSl would be done by you, unless you have a fully managed server.

5) Firewalling, don't assume anything most hosts block Zero ports, its up to you. Again when firewalls are included its going to be more expensive.

6) Yeh normally the same functions but one they do the work and the other your left defending for yourself.

7) Host per host basis, i would stay away from ones that have cancellation costs though.

8) Yeh all should give full root and SSH, some managed services might not though depends on the contract for management.

Don't forget to ask about:
    1. Number of VPS's per host?
    2. Do they oversell?
    3. Support reply times.
    4. Money back guarrainte
    5. Setup Times...
    6. How long have they been around....
    7. Xen or OpenVZ (XEN stop's overselling)

I would look for 256mb or 512mb VPS, 512mb would be better though.
    Good advice. But again a lot of these things will change the price, if you are on a budget you should prioritize and then choose the host that will best meet your priorities at the lowest cost. If you want everything, you will have to pay more for it.

try VPS Hosting Search to comapare different VPS hosting providers