motherboard problem?

Recently my computer has been giving me some issues and I was hoping someone could confirm that it is my motherboard that is causing these issues.

I reformatted my computer last week and one of my fans on the motherboard does not work anymore. This particular fan was having issues in the past but if finally stopped working which is the main factor that cause me to believe that it was the mother board which is the problem.

Also, my onboard ethernet plug-in does not connect to the internet anymore. I talked to my internet provider and they said I needed to get a network card, which I did but it still leaves the question of why my onboard stopped working all of a sudden when it was working fine for the past 3 years.

Lastly, after reformatting, I installed all my drivers and most of my old programs I had prior to the reformat and found that the computer is very slugish. I run a program that uses a lot of CPU usage with 3gigs of RAM and when ever that is running I find that I cannot run anything else smoothly, especially anything with sound quality to it.

Is this a motherboard problem? If anyone has any helpful suggestions please answer, I would greatly appreciate it!

For the fan issue, it could be a failing fan. Depending on the size & location, it could be a very easy replacement.

Make sure you are loading the most recent drivers for your motherboard (obtainable from the manufacture’s website. Onboard nic could of died due to time, a shock to the system, ect. I have a machine (dell box) that the onboard nic is dead, and I've been using a pci nic for over 2 years on it. Nothing else has issues, the nic just won't pickup an ip. I've reloaded it several times, just figured something with the board.

Check your fans; make sure your CPU and/or video card is not overheating. Check your hard drives. Do a scan to make sure they are not possibly failing. Also, check the temperature of your hard drives. Recently I noticed mine getting quite hot. I just got my "cooling solution" in the mail from newegg. Will be setting that up sometime soon.

You advise that the motherboard is 3 years old. Can you post the make and the model? Or have you done any google searches to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues you are with that board?
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

I run a program that uses a lot of CPU usage with 3gigs of RAM and when ever that is running I find that I cannot run anything else smoothly, especially anything with sound quality to it.
    Could it be graphics processor unit if your program is dependent on it ?

You could also try replacing the fan, power unit and memory

I was looking around at some motherboards and needed some help! Can anyone tell me if these two motherboards are compatible?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...645&CatId=2320

AND

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138143

Quote Originally Posted by luxx View Post
    I was looking around at some motherboards and needed some help! Can anyone tell me if these two motherboards are compatible?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...645&CatId=2320

AND

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138143
    compatible with what exactly?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    compatible with what exactly?
    With each other? I want to replace the first one with the second one mentioned

With each other? I want to replace the first one with the second one mentioned
    well what cpu and type of ram are you running? It looks like it would work but knowing what other parts are running on your system helps.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Seems to be ok except for memory.

Memory supported in first : DDR2 800 Mhz (max)
    Memory supported in second : DDR2 1066 Mhz

Second motherboard has DDR2 1066Mhz RAM. If your old RAM is less then 1066Mhz it is not compatible. You can use higher Mhz rating on lower specified rating (like 800Mhz) in the same type DDR2 but not lower than specified and not different types.
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 08-03-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    Seems to be ok except for memory.

Memory supported in first : DDR2 800 Mhz (max)
    Memory supported in second : DDR2 1066 Mhz

Second motherboard has DDR2 1066Mhz RAM. If your old RAM is less then 1066Mhz it is not compatible. You can use higher Mhz rating on lower specified rating (like 800Mhz) in the same type DDR2 but not lower than specified and not different types.
    So, if I have 800Mhz DDR2 RAM at the moment, should I go ahead and buy the 1066 motherboard now or will this only decrease performance? Will buying an 800Mhz motherboard be better for me than buying a 1066 motherboard or does that not make a difference.
    Last edited by luxx; 08-03-2009 at 03:54 AM.

So, if I have 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, would a motherboard that supports 1066 take 800Mhz RAM?
    In the link you posted to the NewEgg site the specs says 1066Mhz

However in the company website it is DDR2 -Mhz 1066/800/667/533 so it should work.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-s...t.php?S_ID=379

Also note for best performance since it is dual channel you will need at least two identical RAM sticks and it should be installed in identical slots in both channels (usually slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4) If either you use two or four modules it must always be in identical pairs.
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 08-03-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Definitely replace your motherboard.. I would not go cheap on the motherboard. Definitely purchase something that is a little future-proof.

There are some motherboards supporting DDR2&DDR3. This way you could use your current memory, and then as the prices of DDR3 fall, you would be able to upgrade later and have a faster computer.

Also, stick with MSI, ASUS, or GIGABYTE boards.

On a side note, not to argue with the above poster.. If you have DDR2 at 800Mhz, it will work in a board that advertises DDR2 1066Mhz. Even if you had DDR2 1333Mhz it would still work in the same board, but with reduced clock speeds.

Hope this helps!