Please give me some suggestions (FTP access, PHP, MySQL. around 100MB)

Hi! Please correct me on this first thing if I'm wrong. I think I wasted a couple of good hours. I'm looking for a pretty basic host, I did some reading on a couple of hosts like ThePlanet, RackSpace, RackForce and LayeredTech. I finally found SoftLayer that seemed very nice and among the not so expensive.

When I checked out their site and the sites of the other I looked at they don't really seem to offer small things with PHP and MySQL already installed. I don't think it would be too much hassle to install them but I figure since my needs are so small it seems a little like a waste to not get something simple, or maybe even free.

Anyway, I started from square one and began Googling again, but everyone's making the same offer of free (usually smaller offer of same service), FTP access, PHP, MySQL and around 100MB it seems (in my original search I heard about ThePlanet in an article and found the other hosts by Googleing ThePlanet). Because of my small needs and the vast numbers of hosts I would really just like some suggestions. I came to this site to look for it, I checked the tutorial section but I couldn't find any suggestions, but alot made threads just asking for help with what they needed so I'm here

I'm just looking for a host that's reliable and would love some suggestions. I don't mind if it's expensive if it means there's no down-time but if there's not much difference it might as well be free. Apart from FTP access, PHP and MySQL I want to be able to get the host to make changes in the php.ini-files. I don't know if that's something everyone have but if there's something commented out there by default I don't want to be stuck looking for another host. I'm really just wondering if anyone have had good experience with a host like this. Thanks!

i m with theplanet....they are far from a "pretty basic host".they are one of the biggest,if not the biggest name in the business.

check out the web hosting deals forum.all the major providers advertise in there.

Because it seems you will need shared hosting, I recommend you check out the the Shared Offers section of this site, you will have a wide range of choices there.

I think you are looking way too big, from description. Maybe someone like HostGator could fulfill what you need with a shared host, or even reseller if you wanted a bit more power. The names you are throwing out or mostly known for dedi / co-lo / rack and cage, large scale outfits.

It really depends on what you are serving and if you need HA, etc. If you loose money by the minute, go bigger, but if this is no a revenue site, your you can take a few minutes of downtime in a couple months time, I'd try out Hostgator or Innohosting. With the money back guarantee, you can't really go wrong. No workie? Cut out and you are none the poorer.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Thanks for the info. It's what I thought about those names, I found discussions about people comparing them and there was always a "cheaper but just as good" alternative. It stopped at SoftLayer but even them seemed to deal mostly with dedicatd servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Akryt View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's what I thought about those names, I found discussions about people comparing them and there was always a "cheaper but just as good" alternative. It stopped at SoftLayer but even them seemed to deal mostly with dedicatd servers.
    Actually a lot of web hosting companies are working in this direction and all what you need to do is do more efforts with the search
    Offers section contain a lot of good web hosting offers
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Akryt,

I use www.downtownhost.com for all my shared hosting needs. They're definitely not the cheapest but I LOVE THEM!

After reading through your post it appears you should be looking at an inexpensive shared hosting enviroment. Have a look through the WHT Shared Web Hosting Offers section I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Best of Luck,
    Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003