Looking for Hosting Any ideas????

Hi, Im new to this forum and I joined this forum to get advice on a good web hosting service. I have little knowledge in web hosting. I have also been working on a Website in Dreamweaver for a while now and I have decided to find a web hosting company that has a website wizard. The reason for this is I'm not that knowledgeable in web design so I think this will help me out. The website I'm making is a sports handicapping website, which means people pay me for my sports information. I have searched and searched the internet for a web hosting company but it seems that there are way too many companies to choose from. I have read many reviews and feel that there is no good one out there.

All I'm looking for is a hosting company that will support my approx. 10 page website. Here is a list of features I'm looking for e-mail, free domain name, website wizard, some kind of ecommerce and good customer service. Any ideas?

Do you have any idea of how much disk space or bandwidth (traffic) you will need? Your prices and options will vary dramatically based on those two factors alone. But it seems like you are looking at shared hosting.

Browse the web hosting offer boards here, find a site which interests you, Google their name on the internet and make sure they have solid reviews.

This was a problem I faced, too, when I was looking for hosting. I found my first host through word of mouth. If you have any friends who also have websites, see what they are using.
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    Do you have any idea of how much disk space or bandwidth (traffic) you will need? Your prices and options will vary dramatically based on those two factors alone. But it seems like you are looking at shared hosting.
    This is my first website business so I expect low traffic in the beginning and hopefuly produce more traffic down the road. As far as disk space this is going to be a basic website with some pictures. I will also have a page consisting of past sports picks which this will probably be most of my data.

Do you have a preference on location? Your sports, which ones is it? I know that the English Football League can be very funny about these kinds of sites specially if they provide future fixtures etc..

Quote Originally Posted by jdjohnson View Post
    This is my first website business so I expect low traffic in the beginning and hopefuly produce more traffic down the road. As far as disk space this is going to be a basic website with some pictures. I will also have a page consisting of past sports picks which this will probably be most of my data.
    I'd recommend you look at shared plans then. They generally run the cheapest and if you search around, you can really find some good deals.

Considering the input you gave here, you should find a plan that no more than $4-$5/mo. It should have enough space for you and if you need more, most hosts will allow you to upgrade. There are plenty reliable hosts out there at that cost.
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Do you have a preference on location? Your sports, which ones is it? I know that the English Football League can be very funny about these kinds of sites specially if they provide future fixtures etc..
    The sports are going to be NFL, NBA, NCAA Football and MLB. All my website does is provides sporting information. The consumer will have to abide by his or her state and federal laws. As far as location do you mean the US.

As your site is going to be a start off, beginner, low traffic, low usage website then I would recommend a shared webhosting provider, In saying this and in my own personal experience website wizards are a waste of time and effort to use.

I had always used programs like BlueVoda they work just the same and with drag and drop capabilities you cannot go wrong and the sofware is 100% free.

Personally you are not going to require much more than that, I would look at a webhost that would specifically suit your requirements and not a host that wants to offer you everything under the sun (being impossible) though that choice is going to be one you have to make.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Hi There, As another suggested find a host that offers RvSitebuilder it is fairly simple to use and the majority of hosts do offer it for free. A shared hosting enviroment between $4-$6 per month should meet your needs to start off with. Checkout the WHT Shared Hosting Offers section as I'm sure you will find a host that can meet your requirements.

Best of Luck with your new venture,
    Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003

jd: we've all been in your position at one time. There are a variety of hosts here who can fit your needs quite nicely.

getting a free domain would be a save of like $9 per year, instead of that, I suggest you to get your domain from a register, if in the future you want to change of host, having the domain in another registrar will save you of the hassle of deal with the host offering the free domain, since the "free" domain is mostly offered while you stay with that host.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore