Good budget L3 router?

Hello Everyone,

We're building out a small setup for a client, and we're wondering what's a recommended L3 switch on a budget?
    Basically, we're going to be colocating in a rack with about 12 servers & a 100 mbps drop, and won't really be doing any major bandwidth (less than 10 mbps).

The datacenter was saying something about a /30 handoff for the C class of IPs they're going to be allocating to us. They also said they will NOT handle any Vlans for us, and will just basically handoff the IPs and we will need to route to them and do our own vlans.

One thing we need to be able to do is route additional IPs to servers if a client orders them. We were recommended a 3550-24-EMI by a friend, it seems old but if it does the trick, it works. One thing I was reading about it though was PVlans and the 3550 not supporting them. I don't think we'd need PVlans in our setup, just basic 1 vlan per client.

Extreme Networks Summit 48si might fit the bill. 1U, 48 ports, 2 x gigabit SFP, DIRT cheap on gray/used market. You can also order support contract for it direct from Extreme for only about $250/year.

I use one for a smaller network which only pushes under 100mbit. But it can set subnets per VLAN and most things other L3 switches can.

Beware, the interface is not the standard 'IOS-like' which most other brands pick up... and there is no null route function, so if there ends up being a network forwarded to it not in the routing table you can quickly create a forwarding loop between you and your provider than will create packet loss for a couple seconds every time a request for the unrouted IP comes in...

My only fear of non-cisco is the conflicts when interfacing with my provider's hardware. I have an HP 2626, but I recently learned of an 8 ip/vlan limit, as well as it's inability to route additional IPs to a server on a port if a client needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by k-v-n86 View Post
    My only fear of non-cisco is the conflicts when interfacing with my provider's hardware. I have an HP 2626, but I recently learned of an 8 ip/vlan limit, as well as it's inability to route additional IPs to a server on a port if a client needs it.
    Why a fear of non-csico conflicts? If each one is following the standard then there shouldn't be a problem. The only port sync problems I have run into the past were related to Dell (Dell -> Foundry, Dell -> Cisco, etc..). Usually just requires each side to force 100-full or 1000-full.

Try checking out a Dell 6024 L3 switch. It works fine when setting up vlans, etc. You can buy a new one off ebay these days for around $500.

Eger is correct with the port sync problems though but can be easily fixed with forcing 100-full or 1000-full.

Lots of good suggestions, I'll definitely look into all of them. Anyone have experience on the 3550 though? The client was leaning strongly towards it, but I'm looking if there are any faults on it that won't let us do what we need to with it.

Lots of good suggestions, I'll definitely look into all of them. Anyone have experience on the 3550 though? The client was leaning strongly towards it, but I'm looking if there are any faults on it that won't let us do what we need to with it.
    I just bought one for an install I'm doing tomorrow and it's been fine and worked well in my testing. It's an old switch but I trust it will serve me well for a long time (or at least until I have the money to buy a new one :-))

They are good solid switches. For the small difference in price I would personally opt for 3750 which is the newer version and has more juice.

- Chris
    Last edited by Rochen; 07-31-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Cost difference between a 3550 and 3750 is couple grand, last I checked. 3550 is a good switch, though. However, you could also consider just loading pfSense on a semi-modern 1U system. For what you're doing, even an atom based box would work. Do the routing and firewalling on the pfSense box and then just get a straight layer 2 switch to move the bits internally.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by lpmusic View Post
    I just bought one for an install I'm doing tomorrow and it's been fine and worked well in my testing. It's an old switch but I trust it will serve me well for a long time (or at least until I have the money to buy a new one :-))
    Are you using it mostly for the L2 functions, or are you using it as a basic L3 switch for just Vlans & routing (No QOS, port limiting, nada)

Quote Originally Posted by eger View Post
    Extreme Networks Summit 48si might fit the bill. 1U, 48 ports, 2 x gigabit SFP, DIRT cheap on gray/used market. You can also order support contract for it direct from Extreme for only about $250/year.

I use one for a smaller network which only pushes under 100mbit. But it can set subnets per VLAN and most things other L3 switches can.

Beware, the interface is not the standard 'IOS-like' which most other brands pick up... and there is no null route function, so if there ends up being a network forwarded to it not in the routing table you can quickly create a forwarding loop between you and your provider than will create packet loss for a couple seconds every time a request for the unrouted IP comes in...

You can indeed null route on the an Summit 48si, its called blackhole route. They are good switches, but only with EW 7.4+, where they gave you the option of using subnet based forwarding vs. host caching.

Very solid switches, still have about a dozen in service after 7-8 years of operation. Nothing wrong with a 3550 EMI either.

Are you using it mostly for the L2 functions, or are you using it as a basic L3 switch for just Vlans & routing (No QOS, port limiting, nada)
    Presently just basic vlans and routing. I'll likely implement some ACLs on some of the vlans at some point.

I'm a similar situation as you, getting a 100Mbps drop from a carrier and then pushing around 10Mbps. I pushed a lot of traffic through it over the gig ports and it didn't break a sweat. I don't know the traffic level point at which they start to bog down, but I imagine it's plenty high for people like you and me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lpmusic View Post
    Presently just basic vlans and routing. I'll likely implement some ACLs on some of the vlans at some point.

I'm a similar situation as you, getting a 100Mbps drop from a carrier and then pushing around 10Mbps. I pushed a lot of traffic through it over the gig ports and it didn't break a sweat. I don't know the traffic level point at which they start to bog down, but I imagine it's plenty high for people like you and me :-)
    Are you routing between VLANs and basically doing the L3 with a /30 type handoff? Would be great to know if these would work for sure , spent $550 on a 2626 which has too many limitations.

Are you routing between VLANs and basically doing the L3 with a /30 type handoff? Would be great to know if these would work for sure , spent $550 on a 2626 which has too many limitations.
    Yeah, a /30 from the provider and then they gave me a /25 (apparently I couldn't justify a /24 though I seem to have 81% allocated on the /25 and I haven't moved in yet ). But yeah, I have approximately 16 vlans (with routing for each). I install it tomorrow (Saturday) so I guess I'll know then if it sucks or not completely.

A Netgear L3 should work for this purpose as you do not need more than 100Mbps
    DC will provide a small block that you can assign to switch interface , then DC will route you (switch ip) blocks, eventually those blocks you can assign within your netgear switch vlan which does the routing.

I would do the 3560, it has way more juice than the 3550, in fact it's pretty much the same as the 3750 without stacking.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters