Need Recommendations for Windows MS SQL VPS

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for VPS or partially dedicated managed server for my company's new website. I have no technical knowledge of webhosting, just want some highly recommended companies. I know that our website will fit easily with 200 megabytes of space and needs MS SQL. I've had two recommendations so far -- verio.com and Network Cafe. What do you think of them? Who do you like a lot? I only know enough to know that I can't trust Top 10 and many review sites, hence turning to webhostingtalk.

Thanks for any help!

Since you've little technical knowledge, I'd recommend you to consider a VPS which comes with some kind of management panel (Helm/DotNetPanel) using which you will be able to manage all aspects of your website as well as databases. Also, I'd recommend going for Microsoft Hyper-V based VPS since it has outstanding performance with guaranteed resources and hence guaranteed performance as well.

Lastly, WHT is a great place to find most unbias reviews and you can search for reviews of your prospective hosts using Search feature on top right corner of the page.

Good luck!

Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Since you mention you have no knowledge of web hosting, how did you come to the decision to go with a VPS rather than a shared account? If your site is appropriate for a shared hosting account then the hosting company will handle all the management of the servers. Don't forget, in addition to web server there is also mail and dns server software to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Since you mention you have no knowledge of web hosting, how did you come to the decision to go with a VPS rather than a shared account? If your site is appropriate for a shared hosting account then the hosting company will handle all the management of the servers. Don't forget, in addition to web server there is also mail and dns server software to manage.
    Completely agreed !

Based on your stated requirements, there is no need for a VPS solution. Unless you specifically require isolation for some reason, you should be looking at a GOOD shared hosting provider for your requirements.

If you do need a VPS, look for a real FULLY managed VPS provider. As mentioned, there are several services to manage, monitor and maintain. IIS, MSSQL, DNS, eMAIL and CP can all be complex systems to manage. It is unlikely a low end VPS solution would meet your requirements

Yup - and in some hosting companies there are no full VPS server support - You'll need to setup / manage MsSQL server, some kinds of problem should be resolved manually, etc. Of course, you can find full-managed VPS servers, but I'd recommend you to try Windows Shared package first, and upgrade your package later - where you'll be more familiar and skilled with control panel you used (I recommends to choose Plesk or Helm one).

Anyway - good luck with web-hosting experience.

I assume you need to act according to the sizes you have and you need for the web hosting. That is recommended to get started using smaller web hosting package which is shared web hosing
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Yes I want fully managed -- any recommended companies?

Three webmasters I've spoken recommended what they called VPS or partially dedicated managed server. Indeed I don't want to manage it myself. I'm just looking for recommendations of excellent companies -- two have been recommended so far --verio.com and network cafe -- anyone know them? Any other companies to recommend?

The web designers give the following requirements for the host:
    Windows Server with IIS
    The EIS can run on Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista*or 2008*with Internet Information Server installed.
    ASP.NET 2.0 support
    There should be support for ASP.NET version 2.0 with Medium Trust
    The installation process will offer to install the .NET Framwork (version 2.0) if not already installed.
    ADO version 2.5 (Minimum)
    This is needed to be able to connect to the database. ADO version 2.6 gets installed with the program.
    Microsoft Windows Scripting Host version 5.0 (minimum)
    Comes with Internet Explorer 5.0
    Write Access to*App_Data folder
    The transport databases are placed in the App_Data folder.
    Parent Paths Enabled
    Access to SQL Server 2000 or newer (MSDE or SQLExpress will also work) at least MEDIUM TRUST (most commonly, SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server Exress 2005 is used)
    The installation contains a SQLExpress installation, which can be installed by the installation process.
    The synchronization process uses FTP to transport files and data to the Remote Site, so a Web Site with only FrontPage access can not be used.

WSH alone will require a vps or dedicated server. You will need more than a managed vps/server. Typically managed services do not cover the things you want to do. You will need to pay a server administrator an hourly rate (around $100.00/hr) on top of the managed services for some of these tasks. Are you ready for that?

Yuio may want to ask your app developer if app can be made a little more "host friendly."
    Last edited by Collabora; 08-03-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Hi

Partially dedicated is usually VDS (virtual dedicated) similar to VPS but usually using Virtual software such as Xen, Hyper-V & MS Virtual PC. FYI

These type of machines will offer you dedicated resources ie Reserved RAM & CPU, I personally would recommend this over your typical low cost VPS using virtuozzo etc which are not as stable or realiable.

for a server use Windows 2003 or 2008 over 2000/xp/2003

Some/most providers will have IIS, ASP.net & Internet explorer already configured for you.

If I can be of any more help, feel free to send me back a message.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro View Post
    Hi

Partially dedicated is usually VDS (virtual dedicated) similar to VPS but usually using Virtual software such as Xen, Hyper-V & MS Virtual PC. FYI

These type of machines will offer you dedicated resources ie Reserved RAM & CPU, I personally would recommend this over your typical low cost VPS using virtuozzo etc which are not as stable or realiable.

for a server use Windows 2003 or 2008 over 2000/xp/2003

Some/most providers will have IIS, ASP.net & Internet explorer already configured for you.

If I can be of any more help, feel free to send me back a message.
    Thanks. Do you think verio.com sounds like a good company?

Quote Originally Posted by iydi View Post
    Thanks. Do you think verio.com sounds like a good company?
    Sorry.. Haven't heard much about them. However, running a search here at WHT to find their customer reviews should be good to get you started!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's