Need advice: i7 too hot!

Hi,

I've just moved to my new house, and my computer room is smaller than what is was.

I've got a i7 (cheapest one) at normal clock speed with original fan & heatsink. CPU Temperature is normal ~50C, but leaving the computer on for 3-4 hours warms the room enough to be uncomfortable.

Any suggestions?
    I tried downclocking the CPU to 1.6 ghz, but it still warms the room.

I am using it at my room and it is fine. I have an air con in my room though so probably didn't notice it.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Perhaps try getting more air circulation by opening the windows/doors in your room or a better fan and heatsink for the CPU.

I second the better fan/heatsink combination. If you are not willing to go that far, I'd at least pull the stock heatsink off, clean it well with alcohol, and re-seat it using Arctic Silver thermal paste. Great stuff.

I am not sure how comfortable you would be with doing this, but the process known as 'lapping' will do you some good as well.

'Lapping' is a process in which you use various grits of sandpaper to refine the surfaces of the heatsink and processor heat shield. The result is a mirror-smooth surface where optimum heat transfer is obtained.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Just buy a nice fan to blow the hot air outside.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 07-31-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Keep the door to your computer room open. Given the advances in thermal management, an i7 with no load will sometimes run close to ambient temp. Are you running something like seti @ home? Does your case have sufficient airflow?
    AS46176SavvisAbovenetnLayerMzimaOneringLevel3CogentTelia Fully Route Optimized
    DC#1 55 Marietta St. Atlanta GA | DC#2 34 Peachtree St. Atlanta GA | DC#3 PhoenixNAP Phoenix AZ
    Follow us on twitter @SoutheastWeb or visit our website

Better fan /heatsink / lapping will not reduce heat in the room.

Use a exhaust fan to remove the warm air out of the room.

I'd look into getting a higher-grade/better heatsink. The ones shipped standard with CPU's today are really for normal/average CPU use. A decent heatsink will run between $30-$70 depending on what brand you purchase. It may seem a little expensive, but it's better than high-heat build-up, excessive heat inside the case and a burnt-out CPU.

That said, I'd also look into a variable setting exhaust fan which will allow you to adjust the RPM's so that it's not a noise-nuisance.

One thing to keep in mind is that even with a heatsink & exhaust fan, how you place the fans inside your case will really make a difference as to the heat displacement.

I've never been a fan of loading up a case with fans in the first place. A stock custom build for me consists of a high-grade CPU Heatsink, an exhaust fan in the back of the case and 2 additional fans. One of these fans blows over the hard drives, one near the GPU. As these fans take in air, it moves over the hardware and out the exhaust fan.
    Michael T. @ Resellr.Net - CEO
    The Premier Reseller Hosting Solution
    Visit Us @ Resellr.Net | Follow Resellr.Net on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Michael-DAS View Post
    I'd look into getting a higher-grade/better heatsink. The ones shipped standard with CPU's today are really for normal/average CPU use. A decent heatsink will run between $30-$70 depending on what brand you purchase. It may seem a little expensive, but it's better than high-heat build-up, excessive heat inside the case and a burnt-out CPU.

That said, I'd also look into a variable setting exhaust fan which will allow you to adjust the RPM's so that it's not a noise-nuisance.

One thing to keep in mind is that even with a heatsink & exhaust fan, how you place the fans inside your case will really make a difference as to the heat displacement.

I've never been a fan of loading up a case with fans in the first place. A stock custom build for me consists of a high-grade CPU Heatsink, an exhaust fan in the back of the case and 2 additional fans. One of these fans blows over the hard drives, one near the GPU. As these fans take in air, it moves over the hardware and out the exhaust fan.
    Well said Michael. Fan placement and orientation are very important when trying to get the best heat dissipation from an air-cooled setup. There should be some diagrams floating around the net regarding this.

When I plan my builds, I usually have 1-2 intake fans on the lower front of the case, blowing over the HDD's. As for the Exhaust, it's usually 2-3 fans on the top or top-rear. I am a huge fan of cases with fan openings on top. That's the best way to get the hot air out of there ^_^

A general rule is to have more CFM(airflow) for exhausting heat than intake, if not equal amounts.

Another route that you may consider.... Water-cooling. Before undertaking that however, do A LOT of research. It can be dangerous if you're not careful, but when done correctly, will yield great results.

Good luck!

Wouldn't a better heatsink and fan make the room more hot? The better it is at dissipating heat from the CPU, the higher the temperature your room will be.

If you do not have an A/C available, I suggest you have a double window fan to circulate the air around. One fan for intake, one for exhaust.

First result from Google:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bionaire-BW230.../dp/B000065DKJ
    Otto Yiu
    Rsync Palace ● Providing offsite backups since 2007.
    Backomatic ● Hassle-free Automated cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, FTP, and MySQL backups.