Thumbs down [Review] DreamHost - 6 Month Review

(I'm very new here, so if this isn't where this is supposed to be please accept my apologies and move it to its appropriate spot.)

Have been a lurker here for a while and never really felt the need to post, but alas I wanted to share my experience with Dreamhost.

Dreamhost had a promotion going on quite a few months ago that was something along the lines of $10 or $15 for a year. I jumped at the opportunity hoping that I would have another host that I could test scripts/designs/programs that would require very little bandwidth and server resources. In other words, I was not planning on having an active website on their servers, just a place to test things on an independent server.

It has been an absolute disaster. My uptime is absolutely atrocious (my site probably goes down 2 or 3 times per day for as little as 15 minutes to as long as 4 hours). Their support was slightly okay in regards to response time (usually within a few hours) but they never really did anything to alleiviate the situtation. I repeatedly asked them if the problems with my server would be resolved and they said, fairly bluntly "I don't know". They finally offered to switch me to another server, which I agreed to and it has been nearly 48 hours and I still not have been transfered and my site is still experiencing problems.

I know for the price it seems tempting, but honestly it isn't worth it. If they can't even host my testing site, I can't even imagine if I were to try and run an active site through them. If you are looking for a reliable host STAY AWAY FROM DREAMHOST.

Sorry to hear your bad time with DreamHost, and thank you for sharing... Can you let us know what domain name you were hosting with them?

What are your plans? are you going to stay and carry out the rest of the 6 month plan or move on?

I have packages with other hosting providers, but I'm currently looking to possibly purchase an offshore VPS server for this project.

The domain I was working on was...

Streaming-Database.com

Which is just a simple Wordpress blog that I've been customizing for a friend, due to its content I'm advising him to go the off-shore route. (Not sure if American servers are okay with a site indexing copyrighted material.) Maybe one of you how are more knowledge with hosts could advise me in which host to go with, and particularly if going off-shore is necessary.

If you are hosting copryrighted materials then off-shore would be your way to go.
    Personally we can only recommend our experiences with hosts, We cannot choose a host for you that choice is one you are going to have to take

Can I ask a budget you would have and how much bandwidth and space you would require?

I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events over at DreamHost

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    If you are hosting copryrighted materials then off-shore would be your way to go.
    Personally we can only recommend our experiences with hosts, We cannot choose a host for you that choice is one you are going to have to take

Can I ask a budget you would have and how much bandwidth and space you would require?

I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events over at DreamHost

Sean
    He doesn't plan on hosting copyrighted materials, just links to servers that do. (Megavideo, depositfiles, etc.).

The budget is around $40-60 per month with bandwidth likely to be around 300-500GB per month.

Well this is a classic example of the "price-quality" rule.
    You just can't expect something being so cheap to be reliable. That's why I prefer paying more for a stable service. Or... if you have enough budget and admin knowledge, just go for a dedicated server so everything is in your control. Dedicated servers are the heaven of web hosting.

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experience with DreamHost. By posting your experience on WHT you are helping other who are thinking about DreamHost.

I hope the experience has made you wiser and that the old saying is true, "You do get what you pay for".
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by DJwrite View Post
    You just can't expect something being so cheap to be reliable. That's why I prefer paying more for a stable service. Or... if you have enough budget and admin knowledge, just go for a dedicated server so everything is in your control. Dedicated servers are the heaven of web hosting.
    If I had the expendable income I would surely get a dedicated server , I'm sure I would love it. In the interim I was hoping that I could catch lightening in a bottle and find a host that could support my test sites. Unfortunately I got what i paid for, trash.

Quote Originally Posted by DJwrite View Post
    This is not always true, even with DreamHost. There are both positive reviews about them and negative, and the same goes with more expensive hosts as well.

Thanks to the OP for sharing the review, and sorry you've had a poor experience with your host.

Sorry to hear your troubles mate. Thanks for sharing it with the community.

I used to have a test site on dreamhost too. Had the same problem as yours.

It is right "You do get what you pay for". So I think what you can do is to find a new place and move on.

Good luck

Is it? I have a similar account with DH, paid $9 for the first year. Yes, it might be a bit slow when it comes to applications, unfortunately, but I'm seeing 99.97% uptime in the 40 days I've been monitoring it. Nothing like what the OP has noticed. It's a jinxed/sub-par cluster/server perhaps, which might explain why they offered to move the OP's account.

What kind of stats are you looking for in a plan?

What specs are you looking at for your server?

Dremhost is very bad services for me i not make website for spam or for blackhat but they disable my account. This company is not good.

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience with DreamHost, and I really hope that you manage to find a host which meets all of your needs in the future! Thanks for sharing your review with us!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    I hope the experience has made you wiser and that the old saying is true, "You do get what you pay for".
    - Very true saying!
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    The hosting of copyrighted material is definitely considered illegal. What makes you think it would be allowed off-shore?
    AS46176SavvisAbovenetnLayerMzimaOneringLevel3CogentTelia Fully Route Optimized
    DC#1 55 Marietta St. Atlanta GA | DC#2 34 Peachtree St. Atlanta GA | DC#3 PhoenixNAP Phoenix AZ
    Follow us on twitter @SoutheastWeb or visit our website

Quote Originally Posted by SoutheastWeb View Post
    The hosting of copyrighted material is definitely considered illegal. What makes you think it would be allowed off-shore?
    Aren't the copyright laws (particularlly those dealing with material hosted online) more lenient in some off-shore places like in Amsterdam/Hong Kong?

Regardless, the site I am hosting does not actively host any copyrighted materials on the server, simply links.

Just for an update, even after I was told I was going to be transfered to another (less problematic) server I was e-mailed saying instead they restricted the user(s) that were causing the problem leaving me on my current server. Only problem is I'm still having as many problems as before and they still don't seem very helpful.

Bottom line: if you care about uptime/load time, I would strongly discourage Dreamhost.