95th Percentile vs. transit billed

Need some help. On the 95th percentile model, I recall reading bursting not calculated for 36 hrs in this model.

In our application, for now, we will only be uploading to the colocation 6 days a week, on a 10 meg upstream - averaging anywhere from 2 hrs nightly to Saturday ....real small upload.

When I look at 95th percentile, I am looking at it that we would be billed at 9Mbps if we were to utilize this billing method as opposed to purchased transit.

Can someone shed some light on the math & or the *36 hr* burstable bandwidth ?

95% is basically approximately 36 hours or so per month that you knock off the highest usage/peak from billing calculations, and the highest usage/peak remaining after that is what you are billed for.

If you are primarily uploading, you can probably cut a deal with a provider, as most facilities have much unused capacity to dump in that direction at whatever they can get for it...

95th billing model is easy

If you look at a standard network graph let say from something like MRTG.

You take all of the points, the low points, the high points, and everything in between.

You sort them from lowest on the left, to highest on the right. Drop the top %5 on the right, and that is what you're paying for in the 95th percentile model.

Some service provides are now offering 90th percentile models. Ask your service provider.

Quote Originally Posted by wansecurity View Post
    You sort them from lowest on the left, to highest on the right. Drop the top %5 on the right, and that is what you're paying for in the 95th percentile model.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Simpsons
    don't do what Donny don't does
    ... "They could have made this clearer."

Hi.

If you dont mind that the upload can be done slower (takes longer) than you could cap the speed for example to 5mbit. Than you would not come over the 5% @ 9 or 10mbit and be billed for that.
    As I said....just for the case you dont need the upload to be done in a certain time period.