Thread: Firewalls

Firewalls

If I'd provide IRC access, which is prone to DoS attacks, and the DC doesn't provide any firewall options, do I get my own? which ones are recommended?

You dont have to, but it may be in your best interests. Also depending the how heavy of an attack it is, it could cost you your colocation.. there are very few providers that will put up with ddos attacks.

httpd.net/foonet however specializes in exactly what you are looking for and I would suggest you check there if you are serious about providing irc access, or marketing in that field.
    - brian

failing to plan is planning to fail.

Yeah, I've checked that out, it'll be expensive in the long run. So I'm considering on getting a firewall of my own.

Originally posted by Reference
    Yeah, I've checked that out, it'll be expensive in the long run. So I'm considering on getting a firewall of my own.
    A firewall won't do anything for you.

With a proper DDOS attack you have no way of determining what and what isn't "improper" traffic. Additionally, once the traffic hits your firewall, even if you are blocking "bad" traffic, you'll still get charged for the bandwidth unless you can get your upstream provider to do some blocking for you.

In which httpd has the solutions?

Originally posted by jstout

A firewall won't do anything for you.

With a proper DDOS attack you have no way of determining what and what isn't "improper" traffic. Additionally, once the traffic hits your firewall, even if you are blocking "bad" traffic, you'll still get charged for the bandwidth unless you can get your upstream provider to do some blocking for you.
    Make sure your DC/provider "allows" irc but also be aware they do not distinguish between successful websites and DDOS attacks - it's all bandwdith and all billable.

Might be easier to run mailservers for spammers - less grief, more money.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.