Which Script Language is more powerful?

Which Language do you think is more secure?
    Which Database is better MySql or MS Sql?

php is pretty secure, asp is a msft technology so keep that in mind. I haven't messed with cold fusion much. As for databases. Mysql is popular cause its free, mssql is a bit expensive (ok alot more then a *bit*), but its very good with large databases. Its a microsoft deal also. I personally like using php/mssql togethor.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Ever hear of the expression "use the right tool for the job"?
    Last edited by MarkIL; 11-10-2002 at 05:49 PM.
    C#/C++/TCL/Python/PHP developer.
    mark at mark org il

The language can be as secure (or for that matter unsecure) as the programmer.
    As for the database, MSSQL is generally for NT/IIS boxes while MySQL is on the Linux genre boxes.

MSSQL was designed for NT/IIS and thus it's performace is better on those.
    MySQL was designed with Linux/Unix/etc. in mind and therefore performance is optimal on those boxes.

Can you even get MS SQL to work on a non MS system?

I concur with Bulldog with regards to the security of the progammer.

Take, for example, the new super globals in PHP. Previously it was very easy to fake cookies and server variables by simply passing them in the query string. If the programmer didn't look specifically for the source of the variable there is a major security problem.

PHP have tried to rectify this by turning off 'register_globals' from php 4.2.x onwards however there are far too many programmers that do not make use of the super globals yet... e.g. there seems to be a question on 'why doesn't this variable work' every week or so!

No, to the best of my knowledge it is not possible to get MSSQL running on anything but an IIS setup.

Originally posted by Bulldog
    No, to the best of my knowledge it is not possible to get MSSQL running on anything but an IIS setup.
    Unless you count WINE or VMware, you are correct.

Other than machine code, I'd say C is most powerful and can be used for unix and windows. Even perl is written in C.

I really think Java is slowly on its way out. At least I hope so. 'course I also wish .pdf was on its way out.

Eh, you can accomplish the same things C can much quicker in PHP, .NET, or ColdFusion.

Originally posted by Bulldog
    Eh, you can accomplish the same things C can much quicker in PHP, .NET, or ColdFusion.
    I don't think you can do as much in those languages as C, but could be wrong. Anyhow, I'm fairly sure the same application would run faster in C than PHP, .NET or CF, though C syntax could take longer to write.

Chris, you're absolutely right -- performance wise C in general will outperform the forementioned languages.

However, the question you need to ask yourself is the extra time in development worth the return you'll get from the minor performance differences.
    In general the answer is no.