Comparing HostGator and WiredTree

I have a dedicated server at Lunarpages. It's several years old (setup in 2006) and though service has been ok, they are overcharging me based on current pricing at most competing hosts. I attempted to negotiate either a better server or a better price but didn't get anywhere. I was told on the phone that the dedicated sales manager would call me -- he never did. I then emailed him but didn't receive a reply -- except a notice that I would be charged the same price for a full year (as usual) two weeks before my bill was due.

I spent some time reading reviews and recommendations here on WHT, then checked out prices and am looking at HostGator versus WiredTree. There were some hosts that got better recommendations but their prices were higher than my budget, or they were overseas.

My current host:

LunarPages

Intel Dual Xeon CPU 2.80GHz
    DDR Memory 2 GB RAM
    Hard Drive 250 GB
    Bandwidth 2,000 GB
    IP Addresses 4
    Datacenter Location Las Vegas, U.S.A.

$275 per month ($210 month plus fees for RAM - even though 2gb is now standard in their plans, plus Managed Hosting, cPanel, etc. It's nickel and dime city)

---

Here are two plans I'm considering:

HostGator

Intel Xeon 3210 (Quad Core)
    DDR Memory 4 GB RAM
    Hard Drive 2 x 500 GB (dual) will configure one drive to backup to other
    Bandwidth 2,500 GB
    IP Addresses 10
    Control Panel : cPanel / WHM / Fantastico
    Setup Fee FREE
    Datacenter Location: Texas, U.S.A.

$279 per month
    order by aug 1 and get 20% ($55 in this case) off first month

---

WiredTree

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHZ 8MB Cache)
    4GB ECC DDR2
    Primary Disk: Hardware Raid-1 2 x 250 GB 7.2k RPM SATAII 16MB Cache
    Chassis : Standard SuperMicro Rackmount
    Public Port Speed : 100Mbs Public
    Private Port Speed : 100Mbs Public
    Public Bandwidth : 4000GB Premium Transfer
    Initial IP Addresses : 8 IP Addresses
    Control Panel : cPanel / WHM / Fantastico
    Datacenter Location: Chicago, U.S.A.
    Fully Managed (apparently free)

$229.60 per month with current coupon

---

I don't know enough about processors to compare the last two servers. I also don't fully understand private networks or port speed differences.

I was leaning toward WiredTree but I had repeated problems with their online ordering system. I wrote Zac about it and after the first reply he said it was fixed and I should test it. It wasn't. Finally I received an email today from someone else at WT stating that I was getting the coupon price plus an additional discount for paying annually on one page but a higher price on the checkout page because of an error in their programming. They now say I can only have one or the other. Fair enough but it still made me stop and think whether they are really as together as other people have stated here.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about either host beyond what has been already posted?

I don't think you're comparing the right companies here. HostGator isn't anywhere near the level WiredTree is at.

WiredTree / Gigenet / LiquidWeb would be a better comparison.

Anyway, as a current WT customer I can say nothing but good words for them. Their support team is great and they know what they're doing.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with our cart. It was a bug that looks like was recently introduced into our cart after some changes recently that popped up under a specific set of conditions with the coupon code plus yearly payment and it took our developers a bit to track it down. Thank you for your patience.

If you still have any questions about our services, or would like the port speed difference explained, drop me a line and I will be happy to help.
    Last edited by WiredTree Zac; 07-29-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

What is the main reason you are moving from LP?
    Is it DC location? Maybe you just need to decide the location of the DC you are interested the most and then make your decision?
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    What is the main reason you are moving from LP?
    Is it DC location? Maybe you just need to decide the location of the DC you are interested the most and then make your decision?
    Answer below:

It's several years old (setup in 2006) and though service has been ok, they are overcharging me based on current pricing at most competing hosts. I attempted to negotiate either a better server or a better price but didn't get anywhere. I was told on the phone that the dedicated sales manager would call me -- he never did.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

As Dannyarr stated in his post, Hostgator and WiredTree aren't even in the same league. WiredTree is top notch in my book, and I've been around the block over the years going from host to host due to uptime issues. support, you name it. I signed up with WiredTree over a year ago and don't expect to be leaving any time soon! They run a smooth network (haven't had a minute of downtime, except for the rare routine maintenance), support tickets are always answered within minutes (not that I've had that many, and it's in-house support staff (always a plus)), and they even have a 1-800 number that works which one of the REAL people working at WiredTree answers! (I called them once late at night to see if anyone was there, and sure enough Jake answered).

So all in all, I'd say you can scratch off HostGator off your list of a possible host and just sign up with WiredTree. It's probably the best decision you'll make all year!

I would go with WireTree. They seem to be more solid and as others have posted HostGator and WireTree are very different.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I haven't used WiredTree but you can get that setup A LOT cheaper with a top notch company as well.

I can recommend HostGator for shared hosting but would prefer WiredTree for a dedicated server!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    I would go with WireTree. They seem to be more solid and as others have posted HostGator and WireTree are very different.
    I wouldn't call WiredTree more sold as obviously HostGator has the reputation and has been around for EVER.... but point being they are two very different providers who will meet the needs of different people.

I don't know enough about processors to compare the last two servers. I also don't fully understand private networks or port speed differences.
    This is always a great resource when comparing processors:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    I haven't used WiredTree but you can get that setup A LOT cheaper with a top notch company as well.
    That setup cheaper at a "top notch" company?

Fully managed?

Please tell me which company and how you define top notch.

To other responders: Thanks for all your comment and suggestions.

We've zeroed in on WiredTree as their fully-managed price for a low cost server is as good as any we've found *available* so far -- but waiting on a second email response to our questions from Zac.

Zac, are you listening?

That setup is FREE. The server is unmanaged. The company is Limestone Networks. I have been with them for little more than 7 months now and they have been always very helpful and professional. The server includes remote reboot port, self defining rDNS and 10TB of bandwith

Quote Originally Posted by fork View Post

Zac, are you listening?
    I responded to your email about 15 minutes or so before you posted this Did you not get it?
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

That setup is FREE. The server is unmanaged. The company is Limestone Networks. I have been with them for little more than 7 months now and they have been always very helpful and professional. The server includes remote reboot port, self defining rDNS and 10TB of bandwith
    Where is that FREE server with 10TB of bandwidth?

I just configured a similar server on Limestone Networks to the one I quoted from WT in my OP:

Server Processor Intel Core2Quad Q6600 $0.00 $139.99
    RAM 4gb DDR2 $0.00 $0.00
    Disk Controller RAID 1 (3ware) $0.00 $50.00
    Hard Drive 250gb SATA2 $0.00 $0.00
    Second Hard Drive 250gb SATA2 $0.00 $12.00
    Uplink Port Speed 100mbps $0.00 $5.00
    Bandwidth 4000gb $0.00 $37.99
    Operating System CentOS 5.3 - 64 bit $0.00 $0.00
    Control Panel cPanel/WHM v11 $0.00 $25.00
    Database Software MySQL 5 $0.00 $0.00
    IP Addresses 8 IPs (5 Usable) $0.00 $0.00
    Backup (NAS) None $0.00 $0.00
    KVM Over IP None $0.00 $0.00
    Support Level Standard Support $0.00 $0.00
    Subtotal: $0.00 $269.98

Actually came out forty dollars more than WT if you use comparable bandwidth.

If you meant setup = setting it up, both offer that for free.

I love HG for Shared / Reseller. Not so much dedi. I'd try WiredTree, they always have excellent reviews, and are on top of support like Kirstie Alley on a chili dog. With cheese.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

dude are you kidding me? your comparing wiredtree with someone who's overselling diskspace and bandwidth?

please at least pick a better decent company to compare wiredtree with.. like liquid web?

btw go for wiredtree, you will NOT regret it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by whazapa View Post
    dude are you kidding me? your comparing wiredtree with someone who's overselling diskspace and bandwidth?

please at least pick a better decent company to compare wiredtree with.. like liquid web?

Agreed about the overselling! Anyone who offers unlimited disk/bandwidth is overselling, period.

They only do it on shared hosting accounts though.

I would go for WiredTree any day. Their support cannot be beaten (15 minutes response times - really!) and they have fast networks too. You won't regret going for their fully-managed servers!

I'm not sure about HostGator's dedicated servers, because I haven't even heard a review about them. There are better providers for dedicated server out there though, such as WiredTree.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

Quote Originally Posted by whazapa View Post

They don't oversell on dedicated servers, so the comparison is a valid one.

WiredTree has some pretty good deals for the price they're charging.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    They don't oversell on dedicated servers, so the comparison is a valid one.

WiredTree has some pretty good deals for the price they're charging.
    Actually, bandwidth aside, how can you oversell on dedicated servers? Just thought about it...
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

WiredTree for sure.

C2Q 6600 is faster than Xeon 3210.
    WT's RAM has ECC, but not for HG's. (I may be wrong, as some providers doesn't state this clearly)
    WT allocates more bandwidth, while HG allocates lesser.
    WT is cheaper compared to HG.
    WT has better reputation than HG, especially in terms of support. (I had read quite a number of HG "managed" dedicated server nightmares) Besides, WT offers proactive managed support, while HG's "managed" is as good as semi-managed.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    Actually, bandwidth aside, how can you oversell on dedicated servers? Just thought about it...
    Make complete sense to me. Besides, they are reselling The Planet's dedicated servers, isn't it?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Make complete sense to me. Besides, they are reselling The Planet's dedicated servers, isn't it?
    Yes, they are!

I would recommend WiredTree, as many have said WiredTree and HostGator aren't even on the same grounds in terms of managed dedicated servers.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by aivanv69 View Post
    hostgator is better
    And you know this because you have tried both? Or because you are a hostgator customer?

Details would be helpful.

You mean

hostgator is better
    just like
    godaddy is the best
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...3&postcount=14

???

Man the harpoons!

He must of switched hosts real fast.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

You can find those Limestone promotions here:
    http://www.limestonenetworks.com/landing/jul_2/

My servers with Limestone:

1. Q9650 8GB RAM 1TB HDD 10TB Bandwidth for $179 + $40 for additional 1TB Drive + third 1TB HDD $35 = Total $289.99

2. Q9650 8GB RAM 1TB HDD 10TB Bandwidth for $179 + NAS backup 40GB $15 = Total $194.99

You can also get on live chat with them and talk to them. Sometimes you can get discounts by talking to them on live chat. Either way you go, I wish you good luck with your new provider
    Last edited by ShyGuy82; 08-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.

You can find those Limestone promotions here:
    http://www.limestonenetworks.com/landing/jul_2/
    I followed the link you posted above. it defaulted to a $199.00 price instead of 179.00. In order to get a RAID1 setup similar to WiredTree, LN added a 300gb drive even though I chose a 1TB as my first and second drive. There were no other RAID options for the first drive except 1TB, or a 150gb, which had no similar drive available as a second drive. Seems their config page may be messed up - I also didn't get a running update like I did before - it stayed at 199.00 until I clicked the Done button and changed to a new page.

Anyway, this is what Limestone's page gave me:

Server Processor Intel Core2Quad Q9650 $0.00 $199.99
    RAM 8gb DDR2 $0.00 $-0.00
    Disk Controller RAID 1 (3ware) $0.00 $50.00
    Hard Drive 1TB SATA2 $0.00 $0.00
    Second Hard Drive 300 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM $0.00 $40.00
    Uplink Port Speed 100mbps $0.00 $0.00
    Bandwidth 10000gb $0.00 $0.00
    Operating System CentOS 5.3 - 64 bit $0.00 $0.00
    Control Panel cPanel/WHM v11 $0.00 $25.00
    Database Software MySQL 5 $0.00 $0.00
    IP Addresses 8 IPs (5 Usable) $0.00 $0.00
    Backup (NAS) None $0.00 $0.00
    KVM Over IP None $0.00 $0.00
    Support Level Standard Support $0.00 $0.00
    Subtotal: $0.00 $314.99
    Discounts: $0.00 $20.00
    Total: $0.00 $294.99

Congratulations ShyGuy82! You got a killer deal back in early July. That deal appears to have left the building.

I need to get a server today so I don't have any more time to haggle. Thanks for letting me know about Limestone though.

Final Decision

As the OP. I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I actually went out and configured comparable servers from every company mentioned in the comments. Companies like LiquidWeb, Singlehop and Gigenet seemed very professional and had high marks from everyone who had used them, but once I got down to the nitty gritty of matching every aspect of the configuration I wanted, including support, they were all a bit more expensive (some a lot more expensive) than WiredTree. I wrote to several of the companies directly, asking them questions. Some never responded. Others responded only after I posted here. WiredTree's Zac replied to every email with detailed answers and the one time I impatiently posted (a page or two above) that he had not responded to one of my emails, it turned out that while I was posting that complaint here, he had already sent me the email reply.

I originally threw HostGator into my comparison precisely because they are very different from WiredTree and the others, but more like Lunarpages, the company I am leaving. LP and HG both have slick marketing, lots of customers, and a simple dedicated package that supposedly "includes everything". But I'm leaving LP because of their high prices, uneven tech support, and their sales department's disinterest in keeping me as a customer by refusing to upgrade my system or cut their price (or even call or email me back).

Another insight I found in this thread is that each person may have a different experience with the same vendor. Prices and people and equipment are constantly changing. As it's often and wisely written, YMMV.

My partner and I have decided to try WiredTree. I'll give occasional updates on how it goes in future posts.