Various Questions (do I need a host)

Hi all,..total noob here....so go easy on me

So I built this new fancy website, using Tomcat/Mysql. Now I need to figure out how to 'get it out there'.

The way I see it my options are as follows:

1) Host it myself (for now over my personal dsl line)
    - Limitation: how do I get A Real Certificate for ssl logins? (now if I enable my 'test' cert..the ssl logins get the nasty unknown cert warning...)
    - I do not want to manage my own email server...any tips for finding a basic email server hosting service. (mainly used for [email protected], and outgoing messages.)

2) Find a Hosting Service:
    - well need find one that is 'cheap' and meets my requirements (bandwidth..likely negligible to start with):
    Tomcat 6+
    MySql 5+
    Email Server Hostings
    SSL/Certs
    - Here I will need to decide on shared VM or not, Dedicated Hardware/not..all thing equal to keep cheap think I will initially stand alone VM, shared hardware.

3) Use something like Amazon's E3 (will still need an email Hosting Company as I don't want to deal with this).

NOTE: In either case I suspect I will need to buy a Cert for my website..and if so..from whom, looking at verisign...a 1 year cert will run $400!? or hosting services provide the cert for free?

One way I view the above options:
    Host myself (fine for the near term), however as load picks up (hopefully), move to option 2.

If load continues to sky rocket, move to option 3, or other..

Anyways any thoughts? Tips I should consider?

and..I apologize for the grammar/typos in advance.

If your site needs ssl then you really should not be hosting it yourself unless you know what you're doing with respect to other security issues.

Start with a good quality shared plan. You can always move when you grow.

Managing email on most shared plans like cPanel is pretty trivial. Alternately, you can use Google Apps for with your domain for free as long as you won't have more than 20 or so email addresses associated with that domain.

You can buy perfectly good quality ssl certs from your host for probably something like $20 a year (there may be a higher fee if you need them to install it for you...shop around).
    Last edited by nnwltrs; 07-29-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: tragic spelling error
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services

It definitely sounds to me like a shared hosting package is your best option. I'm sure that you can find a reliable provider for around $5/mo. Talk to your provider to see if they could get you a good deal on an SSL certificate - a cheap one should only cost you around $20/year.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I'm sure that you can find a reliable provider for around $5/mo
    I'm sure that he will not find a reliable host offering tomcat for $5 per month.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You should get a VPS rather than shared web hosting so you can run Tomcat without problems. You won't have any problems hosting your email there as well, Look for a reputable VPS provider. You should be able to find something in the $20-40 range and start with that. Most VPS's are upgradable if you need it.

Regarding the cert, Verisign owns a big chunk of the certificate market and almost all of their competitors offer cheaper certs. Also, there are different types of validation, wildcard etc and different pricing accordingly. See http://www.whichssl.com/comparisons/index.html
    || Andreas Sandin - - Fredhost shared hosting
    || Cheap Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    || www.fredhost.com - - support at fredhost.com

Just a heads up, most ISPs don't allow you to run your own servers, and some go as far as blocking the port so you can't run one on the default ports. Generally, ISP packages that will let you run servers are also more expensive than just getting hosting somewhere.

Most hosting will come with email, where all you have to do is create the addresses and punch the info into your mail client.

I love the idea of a vps

I really like the idea of using a VPS, and I think I will spend some time investigating that as a solution.

Right now the only down side I see:
    1) I would guess no vps solutions include email accounts , meaning I will need to find a seperate solution for this which will cost more.
    2) A VPS (assuming I understand this) will not monitor internal services (i.e. my tomcat instance) (so I will need to my own cronjobs, etc..not a huge deal, but still a hassle).
    -- My understanding of VPS is that its really just a VM (analogus to Xen/Amazon-EC2 or some such with certain ports/domains being forwarded to it.)...(is this correct?)
    i.e. I would be responsible for installing/setting up tomcat/mysql, etc..what ever services i want. (of course they probabably have some preconfigured instances with tomcat/mysql combos, which I would think is pretty standard.

You can search for a shared provider offering Tomcat or you can go with a VPS - imho a shared provider offering Tomcat would be cheaper and easier to manage.

I highly recommend *against* hosting from home unless it's 100% for the learning experience and even then it's iffy.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

free email via google apps?

nnwltrs said:

Alternately, you can use Google Apps for with your domain for free as long as you won't have more than 20 or so email addresses associated with that domain.

I Tried creating a google apps today, and found that I could create 1 with an email address on my domain...however from what I see it looks like it will cost $50.00 per email address on the domain..am I doing something wrong....my configuration for my Google Account was (premium)..perhaps I need to nuke the account and go with the Standard Google Apps account...which perhaps allows the 20 free addresses on the domain? seems odd the one u pay for has less?..

disregard last post...

Indeed if you create a premier account, every email from that point added to your domain will run $50.00 a year (including 30 day free trial)...so if ur looking for the free emails..make sure u sign up with the STANDARD package. (you can always downgrade luckily .

BTW: The free emails I think is not limited to the number of addresses, but rather is limited to a total size(7GB) shared across all the addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDano View Post
    I really like the idea of using a VPS, and I think I will spend some time investigating that as a solution.

Right now the only down side I see:
    1) I would guess no vps solutions include email accounts , meaning I will need to find a seperate solution for this which will cost more.
    2) A VPS (assuming I understand this) will not monitor internal services (i.e. my tomcat instance) (so I will need to my own cronjobs, etc..not a huge deal, but still a hassle).
    -- My understanding of VPS is that its really just a VM (analogus to Xen/Amazon-EC2 or some such with certain ports/domains being forwarded to it.)...(is this correct?)
    i.e. I would be responsible for installing/setting up tomcat/mysql, etc..what ever services i want. (of course they probabably have some preconfigured instances with tomcat/mysql combos, which I would think is pretty standard.
    If you go for a VPS/RPS you will be able to run on it whatever you like -
    if i were you i would go for a Linux based machine and install everything on it as i need.

as for emails - SURE YOU CAN - on a vps you will be able to install your own MTA and configure it - also you will be useing tomcat, so you will be able to implement your own webmail service for your domains.

The question is - what's your knowledge level regarding manageing network services such as httpd(tomcat) mysqld and a mail server (postfix/sendmail etc.. ) firewall(netfilter) and so on ...

and if you ask me - go for CentOS Linux :-)
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Yeah I'm fine with tomcat/cron netfilter (to some degree)..but yeah postfix/email services notta (but I can leverage google apps for that..for now..I may need a full blown email server later..but not now)...also not sure I should need to run a software filewall shouldn't they already have hardware firewall running in front of the vps. rps..need to investigate never heard the term.

Cool

1. Tomcat is going to add to the cost.
    2. Do you know why you need a cert? Especially a $400 cert instead of a $40 cert?
    3. I don't get why you HAVE to have e-mail somewhere else although that's no problem. Lots of us provide e-mail only on other servers. I just don't understand it.
    4. I really would like to know the type site so come back & post a link once it's up. I don't know what you are going to need this somewhat strange set of features for.
    5. But yep, shared could handle it, most of us have discount certs of one kind or another, but the Tomcat WITH quality and the dedicated IP's for SSL will push you out of the $5 range IMHO ...IF you also want quality/dependability.
    6. Also the need for a firewall. Most everybody has one but hardware hosts are sure going to bust the $5 if you need much space/ traffic. High traffic hardware firewalls aren't cheap for the host per IP depending on their set-ups, clusters or whatever..

Just my 2 cents worth. Take time & do your research before you jump in. You don't want to do all your SEO submissions etc. and get a lousy host & decide to move & get a day or two downtime right about the time they are looking for you & you have a somewhat unusual requirement set.
    Last edited by DDT; 07-30-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by MrDano View Post
    Yeah I'm fine with tomcat/cron netfilter (to some degree)..but yeah postfix/email services notta (but I can leverage google apps for that..for now..I may need a full blown email server later..but not now)...also not sure I should need to run a software filewall shouldn't they already have hardware firewall running in front of the vps. rps..need to investigate never heard the term.

Im sure you will be able to find a tech which can install your mail server for you if you will ever need one :-) many talented people are on this board.

RPS is kind of unique,it's a dedicated server with shared ISCSI hard drive on a large SAN.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016