Need advice on what to do....

Before reading the boards, I was going to use godaddy hosting. But after seeing what others have said about poor service and pages going down, I decided to go with Hostgator as it seems to fit my needs. What I am trying to do is make a website with a full shopping cart.

My main problem is this. I don't know exactly how long it will take me to make the website. I would only be able to work on it for around 2 days a week at 2 hours on those days. So I figured it would take me more than a month, maybe 2 months or so to get up and running. But is there a way to make my website and add the zencart shopping cart without the hosting fees per month. I would like to have my website ready before getting to hosting it. This would save me a headache of trying to rush and make it. I would say worse case scenerio, if I have to go out of town for meetings, I may not even get to finish the website within 7 months.

Any suggestions as to what program I can use and then transfer all the data to Hostgator?

Thanks

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Develop on your local box and then move the site when you're ready. Wamp is a single file install that'll replicate a hosting enviroment on your local windows machine.
    USNYR Hosting

You can always use free or cheap hosting for the development process I would recommend 30mb.co.uk

I've used xammp. to move the site to Hostgator you'd have to make a backup of your database (you can use phpmyadmin for that) and restore it to a database on your Hostgator account. You also need to copy all your site's files to your Hostgator account, and change the configuration file appropriately.

I really appreciate all the feedback. You will probably tell by all questions that I am new to the online scene, but its not about saving money its just about time might not be on my side in the months to come.

Is it hard to move the database and site files to hostgator? Do I have to put separate files in different folders? Last time I tried playing around with folders, I messed up my registry. LOL

Also IDcdc, do I use the xampp for linux?

Yes you could there is a linux version
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Wait I paused the download "xampp for linux" and was wondering if I have windows XP on my comp is that a problem? The reason I chose linux was that hostgator only host for linux.

Quote Originally Posted by melokia View Post
    My main problem is this. I don't know exactly how long it will take me to make the website. I would only be able to work on it for around 2 days a week at 2 hours on those days. So I figured it would take me more than a month, maybe 2 months or so to get up and running.
    I have similar issue melokia. Here is my posting : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=878832

I am looking at a good host with a small starter plan where I can host and not pay up too much during intial development days.

Lets see where we land up :-).

Cheers!

Yeah, but I am thinking that it might be easier to start with hostgator as the transition would be much smoother in my case. But I will see where I land with xampp.

For me, I have decided to avoid hosts like hostgator/godaddy and go for small reseller kindof hosts which are active here as I expect better accountability from them.

How is their customer service? fast response time? How are you building your site at the moment?

How is their customer service? fast response time? How are you building your site at the moment?
    You tend get a more personal relationship with a smaller company.

"their" = ?

Currently I am hosted at NFSN where cost was literally nothing, but starting next month I would be incurring minm 1-2$ and their support will also cost. So am looking around for something around 2-3$ where support is good and is reputed on this site.

Cheers!

I just got the xampp for linux downloaded, but can't figure out how to unzip the file. Anyone can advise? Should I have downloaded the xampp for windows instead?

If you are on windows, you would need xampp for windows :-), linux won't work.

For me, I have decided to avoid hosts like hostgator/godaddy and go for small reseller kindof hosts which are active here as I expect better accountability from them.
    Base on my experience, I would agree with the "Godaddy" part, but not Hostgator. They are most definitely not the same.

Wait I paused the download "xampp for linux" and was wondering if I have windows XP on my comp is that a problem?
    You should get the xammp for your local operating system. Moving the site to Hostgator or any other Linux based host will not be a problem. It's just files and databases, and as long as php and mysql are installed, they'll work pretty much the same.

Before reading the boards, I was going to use godaddy hosting. But after seeing what others have said about poor service and pages going down, I decided to go with Hostgator as it seems to fit my needs. . I would like to have my website ready before getting to hosting it. This would save me a headache of trying to rush and make it. I would say worse case scenerio, if I have to go out of town for meetings, I may not even get to finish the website within 7 months.
    Thanks
    Most of those comments are unsubstantiated, obsolete, or errors on the part of end user. GoDaddy has 3.5 million active sites. The opinions of a relatively few unhappy customers is not necessarily a good basis for important decisions. All you have to do is look for those hosts that went down in flames that had previously received glowing reviews here.

GoDaddy tip: If you register or transfer your domain you get free full-featured hosting and email. The only catch is that there is a text ad at the top of your page. When you have completed your design you can seamlessly upgrade to normal hosting
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post

GoDaddy tip: If you register or transfer your domain you get free full-featured hosting and email. The only catch is that there is a text ad at the top of your page. When you have completed your design you can seamlessly upgrade to normal hosting
    Obviously its not explained somewhere "normal" people can find. That speaks "highly" of them ?

There are good reviews for others and bad reviews.. any good review from a serious site with godaddy?

Quote Originally Posted by jits View Post
    Obviously its not explained somewhere "normal" people can find. That speaks "highly" of them ?
    Its there on their home page (after clicking on the free stuff call-out) and domain registration page. And hence on my pages also. Your post speaks volumes of your powers of hosting company evaluations.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Its there on their home page (after clicking on the free stuff call-out) and domain registration page. And hence on my pages also. Your post speaks volumes of your powers of hosting company evaluations.

Can you please :
    1)Post a link here for people who are looking for free hosts, which I believe this forum is not about.
    2) write a review about go daddy and get it approved by hosts
    3) Refrain from personal remarks!!

Most important, your website looks very much like godaddy, could you please clarify your relationship with them, self promotion isn't allowed here, AFAIK.

Thanks.

My relationship with them is no secret. Again, your powers of observation are falling short when it comes to web hosts. See my profile name.
    Last edited by Collabora; 07-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Smile

Before reading the boards, I was going to use godaddy hosting. But after seeing what others have said about poor service and pages going down, I decided to go with Hostgator as it seems to fit my needs. What I am trying to do is make a website with a full shopping cart.

My main problem is this. I don't know exactly how long it will take me to make the website. I would only be able to work on it for around 2 days a week at 2 hours on those days. So I figured it would take me more than a month, maybe 2 months or so to get up and running. But is there a way to make my website and add the zencart shopping cart without the hosting fees per month. I would like to have my website ready before getting to hosting it. This would save me a headache of trying to rush and make it. I would say worse case scenerio, if I have to go out of town for meetings, I may not even get to finish the website within 7 months.

Any suggestions as to what program I can use and then transfer all the data to Hostgator?

Thanks
    Anything is possible but don't count on them to allow you to do it. You could just make the site at your place and then get an account. Some host give you time!!
    Cpwebhosting.net where the customer is first
    Great Affiliate Program Call 321-205-9003
    Earn on CPA up to $100.00 on Shared Hosting