Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 45
  1. #1

    * Alphared equiptment

    Looks like they've started selling some of AR's old equipment. It might be a great way to pickup a cheap colo box, or storage servers. It already looks like a few WHT'ers have found it too.

    http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=21030

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kusadasi, Turkey
    Posts
    3,273
    Am I reading this right?

    Quote Originally Posted by NEW IN BOX Dell Poweredge 1950

    UNUSED PowerEdge 1950 w/ 2.0 GHz Xeon E5405; Quad 300GB 15000 RPM SAS Drive; (8) Dual In-Line Memory Module, 4G 667M, 512X72,8,240,2RX4; DRW/DVD,12.7MM,HLDS,BLK; Port TOE Key, Quad Port Network Card; SVC TAG 3WTXHH1


    High Bid: $325.00
    Asking: $350.00
    Is this $350 the "buy now" price?
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

    HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    2,617
    I read that as the reserve, but you know, i'm not actually sure...
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzem View Post
    Am I reading this right?



    Is this $350 the "buy now" price?
    It's not the Buy Now nor the Reserve. If you look at the Bid Increment table, it's what the next bid has to be. The price is curently at $325, and then next increment is +$25.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

    Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    It's not the Buy Now nor the Reserve. If you look at the Bid Increment table, it's what the next bid has to be. The price is curently at $325, and then next increment is +$25.
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes a bit more sense!

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud - Dedicated - Colocation - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Reseller Program @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,396
    I was hoping the news wouldnt have gotten out too much about this so the prices didnt go through the roof.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    I was hoping the news wouldnt have gotten out too much about this so the prices didnt go through the roof.
    Yeah, we all want to be the ones who find out, but we never want others to find out too.

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud - Dedicated - Colocation - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Reseller Program @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,225
    Hmm..those storage servers might be useful.

    I'm guessing all of this stuff is erased i.e no OS or anything? Not even any CD's or anything..just the hardware..correct?

  9. #9
    If those go cheap, it'd be a great deal.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878
    hahahaha... anyone see the Mercedes Benz Wheels? Lots 300,301,302 and 303.

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    hahahaha... anyone see the Mercedes Benz Wheels? Lots 300,301,302 and 303.

    Sirius
    Why are you laughing? I could use some new wheels for my cars.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    How does shipping work on this? Interested in picking up multiple lots.

    SHIPPING IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BUYER. TRANZON AUCTION RESOLUTIONS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOADING OUT OR SHIPPING OF ANY LOTS. WINNING BIDDERS MUST MAKE THEIR OWN ARRANGEMENTS FOR SHIPPING!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    How does shipping work on this? Interested in picking up multiple lots.
    You have to go get it by Monday.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    You have to go get it by Monday.
    Any way of having the items shipped?

  15. #15
    Nope,
    Tried to, but they literally only let you walk in and take it. No shipping, they won't even help you take it to a truck. I would have ordered multiple lots, but I don't know anyone well in TX .

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,249
    I would fly there.... That is great pricing. but if they are unused why dont they just keep them and sell them under discounts to customers?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,570
    *big sigh*, I'm from Toronto.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    149
    Surprised they didn't just list everything on eBay.

    There was probably so much inventory to get rid of, that this was the most feasible way of doing it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by CodePC View Post
    Surprised they didn't just list everything on eBay.

    There was probably so much inventory to get rid of, that this was the most feasible way of doing it.
    You don't always get the best price on Ebay, plus auctioneers get 15% on both sides and Ebay doesn't really have a mechanism for that.

    So did anyone bid on anything? I bid on a few things. I'm sending a couple guys down this weekend to pick it up for me.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Hmmmm, how much you all offering for me to go get it for ya? Only like 20 miles from here

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Wow those are good prices... too bad I live so far away (Vancouver).
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,955
    I'm not sure what's so hot about the 24-bay bulky arrays. The storage/controller ratio is too high for it to perform well. Plus the logistics involved in racking it up, etc. Not worth it in my opinion. But the 24xHDs themselves are valuable.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    most of the stuff on there went for really stupid prices.

    Someone paid $3,200 for a 6500 chassis, yes thats right a bare chassis (worth approximately $400) people were bidding the 2950G-48's to $150+ and then add on the 15% premium and the 8.25% sales tax and they are way above market rate.

    Pretty much everything on there went for alot more than it was worth, there were a few deals to be had (storage servers) but all the network gear was way over priced and over bid.

    We ended up with about 75 servers out of the mix. I really want to know who the twa816 bidder was, you must really have wanted those tower servers, glad I could drive your bids up so high, I just wanted them to part out and put on craigslist

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    We ended up with about 75 servers out of the mix.
    How many total servers had been available? :curious:

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud - Dedicated - Colocation - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Reseller Program @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike - Limestone View Post
    How many total servers had been available? :curious:

    -mike
    there were 3-400 towers of various old garbage

    ~50 newer core2 and xeons

    We picked up only rack-mount gear, mostly dual-core and core2 stuff.

    Quite honestly I'll probably just sell all of this stuff on craigslist, very unlikely it'll ever go into production.

    I spoke with someone who went and physically checked out the lots. They said all of it was heavily beat up and in really bad shape, no rails for any of the servers, everything looked very poorly maintained and was a mess.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    It'll be interesting to see if they actually wiped the data properly, especially on those big storage nodes as those were all for megaupload.com I would venture a guess they are full of warez, mp3s, porn, etc

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    there were 3-400 towers of various old garbage

    ~50 newer core2 and xeons

    We picked up only rack-mount gear, mostly dual-core and core2 stuff.

    Quite honestly I'll probably just sell all of this stuff on craigslist, very unlikely it'll ever go into production.

    I spoke with someone who went and physically checked out the lots. They said all of it was heavily beat up and in really bad shape, no rails for any of the servers, everything looked very poorly maintained and was a mess.
    Yikes. I feel sorry for the clints hosted on that equipment before.

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud - Dedicated - Colocation - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Reseller Program @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if they actually wiped the data properly, especially on those big storage nodes as those were all for megaupload.com I would venture a guess they are full of warez, mp3s, porn, etc
    I'm going to find out.

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,114
    We got a few things from the auction as well since our Houston office is only minutes away.

    Let's just hope the equipment is in somewhat decent condition. We're picking up our stuff a bit after noon so time will tell.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Most of what Alphared had wasnt theirs. It was either client owned, or owned by Megaupload. Anything Alphared actually invested in would have been low end, and not much of it.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    Most of what Alphared had wasnt theirs. It was either client owned, or owned by Megaupload. Anything Alphared actually invested in would have been low end, and not much of it.
    or leased, they had a lot of creditors in the bankruptcy.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    282
    I picked up two things. Nothing real special mostly want them for storage of media at the home.

    I picked up a 6 bay server with the 8 port 3ware, 6x 500gb and a E5310 for $300 and a 4x 750gb E5310 for $275.

    Having Acronoc guys handle the pickup/shipping. I plan on putting the best board/ram into my 20 bay case and making 2 arrays. One with 8x 500gb(using 2x 500gb I have) and 6x 750gb(using 2x 750s I had prior).

    Then selling the second chassis with board/ram/proc/raid for whatever I can get for it. I think one server had 8gb of ram the other as 4gb. Will be interesting to see what gets here.
    Last edited by Hadriel; 07-31-2009 at 12:26 PM.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    most of the stuff on there went for really stupid prices.

    Someone paid $3,200 for a 6500 chassis, yes thats right a bare chassis (worth approximately $400) people were bidding the 2950G-48's to $150+ and then add on the 15% premium and the 8.25% sales tax and they are way above market rate.

    Pretty much everything on there went for alot more than it was worth, there were a few deals to be had (storage servers) but all the network gear was way over priced and over bid.

    We ended up with about 75 servers out of the mix. I really want to know who the twa816 bidder was, you must really have wanted those tower servers, glad I could drive your bids up so high, I just wanted them to part out and put on craigslist
    Auctions always end like that. There are always insiders who know exactly what they're bidding on. Maybe that chassis was full of cards and the description was wrong.

    I know that the first dedicated servers I ever sold I bought at auction and I knew exactly what machines were good and which were bad ahead of time. I would bid "crazy" money on some stuff and barely anything on the other stuf. One of the guys asked me why I was bidding like I was and I told him straight up that I had a friend that worked there and had been testing the lots for the last 2 months.

    In your case it seems strange that you would buy 70+ servers just to haul them back 850 miles to Atlanta to put on Craig's list. Seems like a lot of work to me.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    549
    Wow, thats alot of equipment
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,955
    Our op was a success! I'm 98% happy with our purchase. We got in early enough to get the matching rails and all accessories. All is functional. But nothing to write home about since the gear will not be used to generate revenue (used as file store backup which we already offer for free).

    On a side note, it's appalling how Web hosting facilities tend to run adhoc and on such poor standards. This is the second data center that I visit that looks like someone's bedroom. Yet customers go on touting how great the facility is (as in the infamous thread). How could anyone trust their business and their customers' to such "facility"?

    Regards

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    Our op was a success! I'm 98% happy with our purchase. We got in early enough to get the matching rails and all accessories. All is functional. But nothing to write home about since the gear will not be used to generate revenue (used as file store backup which we already offer for free).

    On a side note, it's appalling how Web hosting facilities tend to run adhoc and on such poor standards. This is the second data center that I visit that looks like someone's bedroom. Yet customers go on touting how great the facility is (as in the infamous thread). How could anyone trust their business and their customers' to such "facility"?

    Regards
    Did you take any pictures?
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    Did you take any pictures?
    I took a good number of pictures, and a video. I'll upload them as soon as we get back, wrapping up this 24 bonsai run to Houston and back

    As expected the facility was an absolute joke, the open transafoermers / UPS hot wired together and electrical taped to hell with extension cords all over the building, giant rats nests of wires everywhere, rigged hvac units, random equipment just slammed together.

    In regards to the 6500s, no they were not full of line cards, they are the bare chassis, the ones people were bumping up were E series chassis so they are worth slightly more but still not what was being paid for them.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    As expected the facility was an absolute joke
    Speaking of that, anyone know what happened with James McCreary? Similar to Gotzmann / Sanduval, I keep expecting his name to pop up in another hosting adventure. What's he up to now?

    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    I took a good number of pictures, and a video. I'll upload them as soon as we get back, wrapping up this 24 bonsai run to Houston and back
    Can't wait to see them. Save travels!

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    I took a good number of pictures, and a video. I'll upload them as soon as we get back, wrapping up this 24 bonsai run to Houston and back

    As expected the facility was an absolute joke, the open transafoermers / UPS hot wired together and electrical taped to hell with extension cords all over the building, giant rats nests of wires everywhere, rigged hvac units, random equipment just slammed together.

    In regards to the 6500s, no they were not full of line cards, they are the bare chassis, the ones people were bumping up were E series chassis so they are worth slightly more but still not what was being paid for them.
    Crazy stuff. I look forward to the pics.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,114
    We got our equipment Saturday and everything was in great condition. Servers had no scratches and all was nice; some of the servers we got even looked almost new.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 03:47 AM
  2. Equiptment For Sale
    By kytec in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
  3. Large hosting network Layout / equiptment
    By vantage255 in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 10:51 AM
  4. IRAQI nuclear equiptment stolen
    By The Dude in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 03:01 PM
  5. Selling Outdated or Used Equiptment
    By Axcelx in forum WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •