Hosting Options for a FileHosting Site

Hey,

I am looking at starting a FileSharing website, I previously started one and had 2,500 unique visitors in 3 days but my hosting company said I have to upgrade to a dedicated server!

I will need unmetered bandwidth and alot of storage space (or the option to upgrade storage) does anyone have any suggestions as to who would be the best company and plan to go with?

If you're looking for a dedicated server like your host suggested, this forum is divided into sections. Best to look/post in the dedicated server section

Are you looking to host a file sharing website on a shared package?

I already had my original site hosted on a shared package but HostGator said this wasn't allowed as it was too resource intensive, I am looking for a (cheapish) dedicated server plan with unmetered bandwidth and ability to add alot of storage

Do you have a price range? and any other requirements?

No other requirements my price range will be about $250USD a month to start off with, as i will earn revenue from the site I can use that to add extra features such as more storage etc.

You'll definitely need at least one dedicated server. I'd image
    the files you'll be serving are largely flat files (very little script processing, not much database) so this means you can generally go for typically low-end servers and not suffer much if any performance degradation - a P4 can max out a 100mbit line given the right traffic and the right web server setup (lighttpd, nginx etc).

You would be better to have many, cheaper servers for this application than a single large server, in my opinion.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

You may want to check out the guys at 10tb, as they specialize in servers with very large BW requirements, although, I am not sure they offer unmetered.

Cheers.

I know you can get a dedicated with unmetered 100Mbps bandwidth at your budget, however rules prevent me from saying where.

It is possible though, I am sure a few providers would be able to offer you this is you look around.

You can definitely get 10Mbps unmetered without a question.
    Last edited by CoishAssociates; 07-31-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Looking at your needs, yes, you do need a dedicated server. File hosting sites eat up a lot of resources, so you definitely need one.

You can take a look at FDCservers, they have a good reputation around here for unmetered.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Cameronjc View Post
    I know you can get a dedicated with unmetered 100Mbps bandwidth at your budget, however rules prevent me from saying where.

It is possible though, I am sure a few providers would be able to offer you this is you look around.

You can definitely get 10Mbps unmetered without a question.
    dude 10mbps unmetered is only like 3TB bandwidth per month.. which is not enough

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    Looking at your needs, yes, you do need a dedicated server. File hosting sites eat up a lot of resources, so you definitely need one.

You can take a look at FDCservers, they have a good reputation around here for unmetered.

Ditto on fdc. Do you have any experience with server management? If not, take a look at the guys @ PSM. They have great prices & good support. Just make sure you shop around before hand to make sure you purchase exactly what you will need. Check out the Dedicated Hosting Offers section, and keep in mind, the cheapest service(s) are not always the best service to get. One you narrow it down to a few hosts, make sure you search for them on here, to check out reviews for them. Some research never hurts!
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Quote Originally Posted by whazapa View Post
    dude 10mbps unmetered is only like 3TB bandwidth per month.. which is not enough

Dude I know it's like 3TB a month, thanks for the reassurance.

Look at the guys from 10TB, you get 10TB's of bandwidth. If you use more than 10TB, may god help you. You get a 1 GigE (1000Mbit) port with 10 TB of bandwidth, it's like the server was built for you.

Also, The Planet is running a 10TB sale ordeal, yet when I click on the banner ad I get an error message.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

for file hosting i say go with fdc their hardware cost is low, in future you may need lot of space / cheap bw .

Well depending how serious you are, and how big you are you probably want to have servers on different locations to have a better connectivity range to the users. However to start whit a dedicated server would be fine.

Thanks guys, after doing a bit of reasearch i've decided to pick HiVelocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombtrack View Post
    Congrats, best of luck with your site!
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombtrack View Post
    That is wonderful news. Please keep me posted on how things progress.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support