Performance comparison

Hi,

I need some info on how much can shared hosting and managed VPS scale up.

I am building a site which will be in php and would have google/yahoo maps. The framework would be zend/joomla/elgg with lots of ajax.

Given these requirements, how many concurrent users can a good shared host handle.

Thanks,
    Jitendra

2. it depends on how many visitors you got

Quote Originally Posted by webhostingeyes_com View Post
    it depends on how many visitors you got
    Exactly. I've heard that if you're getting 50-100gb of traffic per month, your resource usage would likely warrant a move off of a VPS. If you're just starting out, why not start with a shared host? It would be cheaper until your site expands a lot.

How much traffic are you expecting?

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is asking your opinion, based on what was stated in the original posts for specs and intent:

How many hits at once could a shared hosting package handle with that setup, before s/he would need to upgrade?

How many hits at once could a managed VPS handle with that setup, before s/he would need to upgrade?

I can't answer the question, but that's the question I think is actually being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySDevil View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the OP is asking your opinion, based on what was stated in the original posts for specs and intent:

How many hits at once could a shared hosting package handle with that setup, before s/he would need to upgrade?

How many hits at once could a managed VPS handle with that setup, before s/he would need to upgrade?

I can't answer the question, but that's the question I think is actually being asked.
    Thanks Lady for putting more clarity on my quesion

I would like to know the number of hits with the shared setup that would require upgrade.

As far as data based upgrade is concerned, I think that could be inaccurate as my site will have some bit of images which are purely data delivery, hardly any load on server as compared to php delivery.

Thanks,
    Jitendra

It would be hard to determine how many hits, connections it would take for you to upgrade. This may vary dependently.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by jits View Post
    Thanks Lady for putting more clarity on my quesion

I would like to know the number of hits with the shared setup that would require upgrade.

As far as data based upgrade is concerned, I think that could be inaccurate as my site will have some bit of images which are purely data delivery, hardly any load on server as compared to php delivery.

Thanks,
    Jitendra
    As you know each shared account is different to another shared account and that is the main idea here because different account form the diffrent providers can do diffrent tasks.
    If you have hosting I suppose that would be better get in touch with the provider you are with and specify all detaild you doubt

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    It would be hard to determine how many hits, connections it would take for you to upgrade. This may vary dependently.

Sean
    I thought someone who has hosted a joomla site would know pretty accurately.
    I am seeking this info to decide on my host. If I would need an upgrade quickly I would go for more integrated host who has shared as well as VPS/dedicated. Else I can more easily choose someone like stablehost who have mostly shared.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    As you know each shared account is different to another shared account and that is the main idea here because different account form the diffrent providers can do diffrent tasks.
    If you have hosting I suppose that would be better get in touch with the provider you are with and specify all detaild you doubt
    Thats a good idea. I will add to my wish list here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=878832

Thanks.

Thanks.

a VPS is not necessarily an upgrade when you are more limited in RAM, CPU than in a shared account, having a VPS with 256 MB and Cpanel (or any other control panel) for sure is a downgrade unless you were already hosted in a server crawling.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    a VPS is not necessarily an upgrade when you are more limited in RAM, CPU than in a shared account, having a VPS with 256 MB and Cpanel (or any other control panel) for sure is a downgrade unless you were already hosted in a server crawling.
    Serious hosting sure is complicated business Thanks to community for helping out.

I have put up my requirements in the request section, hoping someone would reply with a complete scalable solution

Cheers!

I am seeking this info to decide on my host. If I would need an upgrade quickly I would go for more integrated host who has shared as well as VPS/dedicated. Else I can more easily choose someone like stablehost who have mostly shared.
    Not necessarily, All Shared providers are different and not all the same. It makes it difficult to determine how much of a usage will determine an upgrade.

Shared Hosting can handle quite a bit of hits per day/month, It would be best to talk with a Host about this and they can help you out with your questions about this.

You need to be aware not all Joomla sites are the same and some might be more active than others on different services, You might find an upgrade required quicker on an oversold host to a host with minimal amount of clients.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Thats a good idea. I will add to my wish list here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=878832

Thanks.

Thanks.
    and

1) Initial low cost under 2$ preferably, or if it comes with free domain and privacy I won't mind paying higher.
    2) Shell access is must.
    I would agree you need Vps because shell is needed and that would be better have VPS for this work. At the same time I suppose $2 per month that is not enough at all

It isn't and can't be that simple. Hardware varies between hosts, one may use some Jommla modules/plugins that are hard on the server, etc.

Ajax isn't a worry. If anything, it probably helps keep the load lower as only parts of the page get updated.

If the maps are being served from a remote location (google), they won't be of any real consequence for your site/server.

Make sure you use any cache feature that is available (Joomla has one, I know). It'll help prolong your stay in a shared hosting environment.

Get your own domain. I always say that $10 per year is a small amount to pay for peace of mind.

I've sometimes seen hosts referring to 100 concurrent users as a sort of "you might want to look for something more than shared hosting" limit. It's definitely not cut and dry, and a $50 shared hosting account will quite likely allow several times more activity than a $5 shared hosting account.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    It isn't and can't be that simple. Hardware varies between hosts, one may use some Jommla modules/plugins that are hard on the server, etc.

Ajax isn't a worry. If anything, it probably helps keep the load lower as only parts of the page get updated.

If the maps are being served from a remote location (google), they won't be of any real consequence for your site/server.

Make sure you use any cache feature that is available (Joomla has one, I know). It'll help prolong your stay in a shared hosting environment.

Get your own domain. I always say that $10 per year is a small amount to pay for peace of mind.
    Thanks Dan for the pointers. I sent out email to stablehost who are my top choice right now to see if they can give me some numbers.

Problem with me is that I have no clue as to what will be cpu cost and I don't want to end up needing an upgrade in a week or month.

My plan is to keep it extremely low 2$ or so for first 3 months of development, then upgrade to something like 5$ per month once the site is live and as the traffic picks up to Managed and above.

Definitely going to get my domain, its a serious business that I am going to build :-).

Cheers!

I have just been jumping through all those hoops as well, but I can tell you that most of the $2-$3 hosts require you sign up for a year or more upfront, are closer to $7 a month without the 1-3 year signup (if they allow a month to month at all), and they probably won't be good enough for when you go live. Those hosts tend to have VERY tight rules for cpu and ram use, and allow almost none at all.

Avoid the unlimited bandwidth/disk space hosts, there is no such thing as truly unlimited and most have a catch buried in their TOS that's against "excessive use of disk space or bandwidth", be sure to read the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy carefully of host you are considering. It's amazing what sorts of things are in there.

Don't hesitate to ask some pre-sales questions. It not only gives you a chance to ask some questions, but to test whether the support and sales staff are around when they claim to be and whether they answer phones, live chat, tickets or emails when they claim to be around.

Example, I used mostly email, but I mailed several hosts on a Saturday evening. All of them claimed 24x7 support. One host took 2 days to answer, and had an excuse for the tardiness when they did, which might have been acceptable, however I mailed back another question, 9 days later, still haven't heard a thing. (No surprise they got crossed off my list pretty fast, especially when I had some of them responding within an hour of my ticket.)

Hi Lady,

Quote Originally Posted by LadySDevil View Post
    most of the $2-$3 hosts require you sign up for a year or more upfront,
    I think I did find some hosts who were not charging too much upfront, like stablehost with the offer they are running come under 3$ for their mid package.
    Avoid the unlimited bandwidth/disk space hosts,
    That is sure the first thing one learns :-)
    test whether the support and sales staff are around when they claim to be and whether they answer phones, live chat, tickets or emails when they claim to be around.
    After reading this I went in my email and checked that stablehost say 24x5 sales, but the emails were answered at a particular time, which I think was morning in US Eastern time.

Mind sharing which ones have you hoped over so that I can avoid :-).

Cheers!

it really depends on the amoutn of visitors ect...

Hi Lady,

I think I did find some hosts who were not charging too much upfront, like stablehost with the offer they are running come under 3$ for their mid package.

That is sure the first thing one learns :-)

After reading this I went in my email and checked that stablehost say 24x5 sales, but the emails were answered at a particular time, which I think was morning in US Eastern time.

Mind sharing which ones have you hoped over so that I can avoid :-).

Cheers!
    I just know at lot of the packages state they are $3, but that's only for a 3 year in advance purchase. That fine print is a killer, so I thought I'd mention it.

As for the hosts that I discarded, most were in a higher price bracket than what you were looking at, and even their bottom plans were a little more than what you are looking at, in most cases.

As I'm not a customer of those sites, I'm not quite sure what WHT's policy (too may TOS lately, I can't remember) is on saying what my experience was with them base solely on my pre-sales questions.