Lightbulb Looking for a reliable host for a small tech review site.

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice for a host I should use. My website will be mostly text and pictures, with a few youtube website embedded here and there. I am looking for a reliable web host company...maybe some of you use a web host and what to recommend it? Thanks

P.S. I'm don't think there will be a lot of traffic on my site in the beginning, and my budget is not too high...it would be nice to see something less than $200 a year...Thanks again.

Do you have a preference on location? it's not clear from your post where you are from.

Do you require a specific technology to run your site?

Well an American server I guess, and I just need HTML to work.

200 a year is a VERY reasonable amount of money for hosting. In fact, it's even too much in most cases.

If you're looking for fast and reliable hosting, I can advice you PrecisionEffect, MediaLayer or VectorLevel. All three are respected providers and all provide a good service. Had an account with all three, but now ended up on a VPS with KnownHost.

Good luck in your search!
    hi there!

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice for a host I should use. My website will be mostly text and pictures, with a few youtube website embedded here and there. I am looking for a reliable web host company...maybe some of you use a web host and what to recommend it? Thanks

P.S. I'm don't think there will be a lot of traffic on my site in the beginning, and my budget is not too high...it would be nice to see something less than $200 a year...Thanks again.
    A little more information can help determine what we can recommend you champ, Elaborate a bit more with your Bandwidth, Space, Feature requirements as such.

I cannot see an issue at the moment, Shared Hosting could be the way to go but we will see what the OP has to say

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how much bandwidth or space I will be needing yet. I just wanted to see what people have to offer first.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how much bandwidth or space I will be needing yet. I just wanted to see what people have to offer first.
    Has this site beed made yet at all?

Sean

Take a look at Dotable http://dotable.com/single-domain/664...formation.html

They are now part of the UK2 group so are well established.

No, I haven't made it yet but I have an idea of what I want it to look like. A logo on the top of every page about 4-5 pages on the site altogether.

No, I haven't made it yet but I have an idea of what I want it to look like. A logo on the top of every page about 4-5 pages on the site altogether.
    Personally I would recommend starting off small, GeekSRV has given a recommendation aswell .

I would recommend starting off with Shared Hosting and then progress your way with your site and upgrade as you need it. No point starting high to end up not getting any traffic.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Personally I would recommend starting off small, GeekSRV has given a recommendation aswell .

I would recommend starting off with Shared Hosting and then progress your way with your site and upgrade as you need it. No point starting high to end up not getting any traffic.

Sean
    That's true and I think your very right. Now you actually got me thinking, let's say I start off small, how does a hosting company site transfer work.

That's true and I think your very right. Now you actually got me thinking, let's say I start off small, how does a hosting company site transfer work.
    Do you mean transferring from once service to another?
    If so, If you previous provider uses cPanel as an example and your new host uses cPanel it can be transferred via cPanel to and from providers.

Or the content can be backed up from you previous server and be unpacked onto the new.

If I read your post correctly.

Correct, Starting off small and upgrading as need be would be the best option, Hence being the site is not made.

Sean

if you ever 'grow out' of your account, you could always upgrade to a bigger package. That'll just give you more resources and there's no need to move anything.

If you ever switch host, the easiest would be to move from a host to a host that uses the same control panel (eg. cPanel to cPanel). In this case, you can just make a sitebackup from within the control panel and restore it on your new account. Even your new host can do that for you, although he might ask a small fee for this service.
    hi there!

With straight html / php and a database, it's very easy to move. Most companies will even do this for you, or give you exact information. Without respect to individual problems, it's quite as easy as copying the files, createing and populating the database from a dump, pointing the web site to the new folder at your new host, and finally pointing the domain to the new server once you are satisfied everything is working.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Ok, well thanks for all the help guys, I'll make my site first and then come back as soon as I have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ReviewBeef View Post
    A common mistake is to be misled by the ridiculous numbers now being offered. eg. You might see:
    • Host A is offering 500GB space, 10TB transfer for $10/month.
    • Host B is offering 200GB space, 1500GB transfer for $5/month.
    • Host C is offering unlimited space and transfer for $2/month.

Looking at those plans you might say to yourself: "Host C is too good to be true - I'll give them a miss. But I want some room to grow so I'll choose Host A." or "It's only a small site - I'll probably only need about 100GB space / 500GB transfer, so I'll look for a plan offering at least that much." But if you start thinking like that you've been suckered.

A new website of text and images (embedded youtube videos are just text) most likely won't be using more than 1GB space / 20GB transfer within the first few years, and will start off much lower than that. You have a very reasonable budget so look for a top quality host based on reputation, not inflated numbers. MediaLayer.com would be a good choice.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Beware of unlimited accounts, or accounts advertising extremely high amounts of storage or disk space, as well as accounts that are overly expensive. Also definitely look for providers who allow you to upgrade to a higher package easily and for free should you need the extra space. Read the terms of service for any company carefully, but most should handle what you're looking to do. Good luck!

Beware of unlimited accounts, or accounts advertising extremely high amounts of storage or disk space, as well as accounts that are overly expensive. Also definitely look for providers who allow you to upgrade to a higher package easily and for free should you need the extra space. Read the terms of service for any company carefully, but most should handle what you're looking to do. Good luck!
    Correct, Also might want to look at inodes on larger or pretty much all webhosts. Usually they have a limit to how many files you can have on the server.

I would think most webhosts should be able to support you in your quest, If you are planning on the site getting heavy, Lets say using Wordpress or forum software then I would deter from Oversellers or the larger companies offering the world for pennies, You are only bound to run into trouble.

Take from experience