Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dedicated Server Setup Time

How long is a acceptable waiting time? just signed up to Dedishack - yesterday, Monday and been told I need to wait till Thursday.

Acceptable waiting time?

Not in a rush and I am not complaining just curious. First time I have had to wait for a dedicated server should be worth the wait though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    How long is a acceptable waiting time? just signed up to Dedishack - yesterday, Monday and been told I need to wait till Thursday.

Acceptable waiting time?

Not in a rush and I am not complaining just curious. First time I have had to wait for a dedicated server should be worth the wait though.
    Sounds like they need to order stock in and 3 - 5 days for delivery and deployment is pretty standard, at least they told you up front

I wouldn't be worried, it's pretty standard for providers who need to order in based on demand.

Most of the time its 24 to 48 hours but you could have to wait longer if they are out of certain hardware. I would not worry and I'm sure your server will be setup in no time. Best of luck and keep us updated!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Most are from 1 hour to 7 days. Matters if they have 24/7 staff and if they have little orders.

Quote Originally Posted by WebCobra View Post
    Most are from 1 hour to 7 days. Matters if they have 24/7 staff and if they have little orders.
    ah yes good point. atleast I know ill be getting new hardware

will keep you updated come thursday.

will keep you updated come thursday.
    lol yeah new hardware instead of a dusty hardware that hasn't been turned on in the past 25 years.

I would worry about using that new of a server. Early hardware failure can kill the chance of good first-impressions. Plus, what if the server dies on arrival, does one make the customer wait longer? I guess it depends on how the business is run.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

I think anywhere from 24 to 48 hours is fair unless stated otherwise with reason.

My last server was just over 4 days. There was a weekend in the middle of it, so I assume that had an effect. It was definitely worth the wait though. I don't mind that wait as their support since has been superb.

As long as I know how long I will be waiting, I am happy, within reason, to be patient.

atleast they told you. limestone does it in under 30 minutes at times/
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Set up time can vary.

A VPS that is a standard configuration should be an instant setup.

A dedicated server that is a standard configuration should also be instant.

A custom VPS or Dedicated server depending on configuration should take no longer than 24 to 48 hours to complete.

www.getinspace.com

Boutique Dedicated Servers, VPS and Managed Servers 877-711-HOST

If the hardware was in stock, they would deploy it in 24-48 hours. I am guessing they don't have the hardware in stock, so they are asking for the time.

It's good in the sense that they actually told it to you upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    I would worry about using that new of a server. Early hardware failure can kill the chance of good first-impressions. Plus, what if the server dies on arrival, does one make the customer wait longer? I guess it depends on how the business is run.

Regards
    Yeah thats a good point. I would of thought what with waiting so long they would have a burn in process or somthing and test it fully before provisioning it.

however you could look at that in a different light and say all servers really could fail at any time, you just dont have any guarantee really.

I would prefer somthing new to somthing thats not been switch on in a year hehe.

A custom server would take more time to setup than a server that's ordered 9/10 times and companies have in stock.

Therefore I'd say an average of 24-48h is a good time frame for delivering a server.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Seems reasonable if they had to order the server new (UPS/Fedex, ect).

Most server builders run stress test on new hardware so you should be fairly safe against early failure. I'd prefer new hardware over recycled hardware any day.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

As long as the provider is upfront about the wait time, I think that there is no problem having to wait a few days. It is bad when a provider says 24-48 hours and it takes a week
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post

Regards
    ??? We probably have to stop spending on new servers and to start offering "bargain basement" deals. I think that any dedicated web host which takes its business seriously has its own procedures which minimize any "risks". But to get to the point... it is reasonable for smaller web hosts which do not have a number of configurations on stock to go and buy a server for the customer. Large web hosting providers can plan their business on a large scale.

If you are not in a hurry, you don;t have to worry that you would wait 48 - 72 hours to get your server online. More important is the service and support you will receive after the set up is ready and your server running.
    Last edited by HostColor; 07-29-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: to correct some mistakes
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

I waited 6 days in the end.

server is now online. took a while to get online but support at the moment is fantastic and really helpful. considering its unmanaged too.

Kimsufi had a very fast setup time for me. The server was online within 2 hours of payment.

Under 1 business day. However, if the provider clearly stated their setup time, it can't be helped.

Sometimes there's delays such as out of stock, faulty hardware and etc. This will increase the setup time.

Quote Originally Posted by CH-Shaun View Post
    Sometimes there's delays such as out of stock, faulty hardware and etc. This will increase the setup time.
    Correct, especially if the delay is coming from the suppliers.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

When I order new dedis the setup time is pretty much the last thing i'll look at, i mean in 99% of all orders you do you don't need the server within 24 hours. For me it's more important, as some already said, that the provider is telling you the delivery time upfront. The worst case is when a provider promises 48 hour delivery time and than it takes four days..

Just ordered a dedi server from 1and1 waiting on setup say 24 - 48 hours hopefully doesn't take longer =/

Just to confirm that we had to order extra hardware before we provisioned the few servers we had on order. This wasn't a matter of just taking a long time!

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast