centos repositories

Hi,

I have tried to use the Centos repositories as explain at

osresources com/11_6_en.html

I have created a file file.repo at /etc/yum.repos.d and I have added the content of "Adding official CentOS repositories"

at the end, when I try to add the key I get this error:

root@ yum.repos.d]# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    error: RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt: import read failed(-1).
    warning: u 0x9400278 ctrl 0x94010a0 nrefs != 0 (dag.wieers.com http)

any idea why? and how can I fix it?

You should be doing this...
    Code:
    rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    Also it should be noted that at some point, dag is going to break your 'yum update' functionality. It's pretty much a given.

do you suggest me to use any other repositorie for centos?

thanks

It depends what you're trying to install. If you *need* something from a specific, non-standard repository, I suggest adding the repo, installing the application and then disabling it by setting 'enabled=0' in the repo file.

This will make sure your normal updates go as they should, however you should re-enable it from time to time and update any applications you have installed via 3rd party repos. Just make sure you have time to sort out any dependency problems.

and this is what I am using, since I had less than 5 posts I was not able to use url's that is giving the above error

Quote Originally Posted by SA-ChrisM View Post
    It depends what you're trying to install. If you *need* something from a specific, non-standard repository, I suggest adding the repo, installing the application and then disabling it by setting 'enabled=0' in the repo file.

This will make sure your normal updates go as they should, however you should re-enable it from time to time and update any applications you have installed via 3rd party repos. Just make sure you have time to sort out any dependency problems.
    my goal is to install openvpn from any repository

Try this then...

Code:
    wget http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    rpm --import ./RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    Edit for new post above...

I'd suggest just installing pptpd. It's a fairly quick and easy setup and gives you a proper working PPTP VPN setup in about 20 minutes with a bit of work. You can use this tutorial to get through it.

http://wingloon.com/2007/11/06/pptp-...n-in-centos-5/

You'll need to scroll down through the comments to get the proper IPTables postrouting commands to run afterwords, but other than that, you should be good. One item of note, on that tutorial, you should make sure the configs have *only* what he specifies in there "change the following config files as below"

btw: 'iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE' is what you'll want to run to ensure you can route out after your connected. This is in conjunction with the sysctl adjustment as well.
    Last edited by SA-ChrisM; 07-28-2009 at 11:16 AM.

I still get:

Public key for samba-3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1.i386.rpm is not installed

when I try to use "yum update"

do you know why?

thank you Chris, but I really want to use openvpn

I am still get this error

Public key for samba-3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1.i386.rpm is not installed

when I try to use "yum update"

do you know why?

Quote Originally Posted by SA-ChrisM View Post
    Try this then...

Code:
    wget http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    rpm --import ./RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    Edit for new post above...

I'd suggest just installing pptpd. It's a fairly quick and easy setup and gives you a proper working PPTP VPN setup in about 20 minutes with a bit of work. You can use this tutorial to get through it.

http://wingloon.com/2007/11/06/pptp-...n-in-centos-5/

You'll need to scroll down through the comments to get the proper IPTables postrouting commands to run afterwords, but other than that, you should be good. One item of note, on that tutorial, you should make sure the configs have *only* what he specifies in there "change the following config files as below"

btw: 'iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE' is what you'll want to run to ensure you can route out after your connected. This is in conjunction with the sysctl adjustment as well.

After re-running the GPG import, did you re-run 'yum update'?

yes, exactly

At this point, it's hard to tell which repo is causing your problems. It may not even be the dag repo. Welcome to the world of 3rd party repos.

Can you paste the full output of a 'yum update' in here and we'll see if we can figure out a bit more for you?

I suggest to do not use any third part repo for Centos 5.3. First of all use "yum update" as guys have suggested. Have you ask google for solutions? Also fedoraforum org.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostingboy View Post
    I suggest to do not use any third part repo for Centos 5.3. First of all use "yum update" as guys have suggested. Have you ask google for solutions? Also fedoraforum org.
    Good luck!

so what do you suggest? yum does not have openvpn rpm

it seems to work properly with rpmforge repository is this a third part repo ?

rpmforge is one of the semiofficial and it is ok. Have your tried rpmforge?

yes it works ok with rpmforge

what is an official repository for centos5?

all repositories which you can find in conf file with Centos 5 distrib installation are official. Cause as you know Centos is official 100% RHL compatible project.
    Good luck!