subdomain with a domain name

hi,

my current host allows me 5 addon-domains. say, i have www.main.com as my main domain registereds with the host. if i register another domain name, say www.second.com, i will be able to take advantage of the addon-domain, and and have my second domain share hosting with my main domain. am i right?

if yes, then my second domain will be accessible via "second.main.com" and "www.second.com".

if my above understanding is correct, will there be any issues as to why i shouldnt have my second domain hosted as subdomain to my main one?

To simplify:

Option 1 (hosted under 2 seperate acounts)
    www.main.com (acting as main domain)
    www.second.com (acting as main domain)

Option 2 (hosted under 1 account)
    www.main.com (acting as main domain)
    www.second.com (riding as subdomain to the main domain)
    LB

At the present time Google (and other search engines) see subdomains as independent sites so there is unlikely to be any difference in rankings or indexing, but you will have to get links to both the main and subdomain.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    At the present time Google (and other search engines) see subdomains as independent sites so there is unlikely to be any difference in rankings or indexing, but you will have to get links to both the main and subdomain.
    Well answered, I was going to say this but you knocked me out by saying it first.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I'm assuming you just want to take advantage of the deal you have so you can have two sites for the price of one, but if the two sites are not related, I recommend not using subdomains in this situation. That way your sites can each have their own focus and it will help keep viewers from getting confused or wondering what they have to do with each other. However, if the two sites are related in some way, I think subdomains are a good way to go, so you can keep the content under the same umbrella so to speak.

Just my two cents

ok. my findings after juggling around with the control panels (my main site is www.main.com):

add-on domain (www.second.com)
    - my site can be accessed via "www.second.com, www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second"

subdomain
    - site can be accessed via "www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second"

since both addon and subdomain can be be accessed via "www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second", how does google differentiate them? for indexing purposes?
    LB

.com/second is not a subdomain and will be counted as a webpage of main.

wouldnt .com/second be like a subfolder or something? sorry, i dont really know all these things work.
    LB

Yes, it would be a subdirectory of the main site. When Google sees it, if that link goes to a webpage, it would be seen as a webpage of main.com

Quote Originally Posted by LiteBulb View Post
    ok. my findings after juggling around with the control panels (my main site is www.main.com):

add-on domain (www.second.com)
    - my site can be accessed via "www.second.com, www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second"

subdomain
    - site can be accessed via "www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second"

since both addon and subdomain can be be accessed via "www.second.main.com, www.main.com/second", how does google differentiate them? for indexing purposes?

The same way that the differentiate between mydomain.com and yourdomain.com. But the addon domain is seen as a part of the main site so any links from there to the main site will be internal links and the subdomain is seen as an indepenent site so links from there to the main domain are seen as the more valuable external links..
    But whatever you do don't add the same content in both places as Google will see it as duplicate content and devalue or deindex one of them.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

company's main site: maluworks.com (example)

products: hosting, webdesign etc.

brand for the mentioned services: maluhost (short for "maluworks hosting"), maluweb (short for "maluworks webdesign")

i am using a brand new domain for each of the brand, because it is a different venture with different shareholders, but with maluworks having the majority share.

so, if let say i want both maluhost & maluworks hosting searches to point to maluhost.com, do i need to configure some kind of redirect?

basically, i want to link "maluworks.com, maluhost.com, maluworkshosting.com, maluweb.com, maluworkswebdesign.com" together.
    LB

i have used add-ons without any problem. it's kinda save a lot of money in for starter webmasters