Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429

    * How much RAM do I need?

    Folks,

    Here is my question - I have four sites - 2 on drupal and 2 on wordpress.

    Only one of the drupal sites gets a fair amount of traffic with a max of about 400 people online. The traffic for the others combined is a max of around 80 people online.

    I run mysql and nginx along with vsftpd.

    Would 2 GB of RAM be enough to run all of these comfortably or may be 4 GB?

    I am currently paying 89Euros for a dedi server with 6 GB RAM and it runs fine. However, I am trying to control costs so I am looking at Hetzner server - http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ver_ds/ds3000/ at 49 Euros. Would this do the job?

    Or will a VPS suffice?

    Right now I do not need anything more than 100 GB disk space.

    Please help to choose the right server for me. Please recommend. I do not care about the location. I care about the speed of my sites.

    Also, my max bandwidth would be around 1200 GB a month. That also does not happen usually, only in very rare instances. Generally it is around 700 GB.

    My max budget is about 90 USD.

    I am not hosting anything illegal or bad. Only websites, no torrents, filehosting , irc or anything of that sort.

    So please help select a good one.

    This is kind of urgent please. So please help me.

    Thanks and God bless,
    Michael.

    P.S. Yes I know about worldstream:-) I am using that for a friend of mine. I want to host these four where connectivity to India is better.
    Last edited by technichristian; 07-28-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by technichristian View Post
    Folks,

    Here is my question - I have four sites - 2 on drupal and 2 on wordpress.

    Only one of the drupal sites gets a fair amount of traffic with a max of about 400 people online. The traffic for the others combined is a max of around 80 people online.

    I run mysql and nginx along with vsftpd.

    Would 2 GB of RAM be enough to run all of these comfortably or may be 4 GB?

    I am currently paying 89Euros for a dedi server with 6 GB RAM and it runs fine. However, I am trying to control costs so I am looking at Hetzner server - http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ver_ds/ds3000/ at 49 Euros. Would this do the job?

    Or will a VPS suffice?

    Right now I do not need anything more than 100 GB disk space.

    Please help to choose the right server for me. Please recommend. I do not care about the location. I care about the speed of my sites.

    Also, my max bandwidth would be around 1200 GB a month. That also does not happen usually, only in very rare instances. Generally it is around 700 GB.

    My max budget is about 90 USD.

    I am not hosting anything illegal or bad. Only websites, no torrents, filehosting , irc or anything of that sort.

    So please help select a good one.

    This is kind of urgent please. So please help me.

    Thanks and God bless,
    Michael.

    P.S. Yes I know about worldstream:-) I am using that for a friend of mine. I want to host these four where connectivity to India is better.
    I wouldn't go with 2GB version, from Hetzner I would rather choose the Xeon version with 8GB memory, price is still the same: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ootserver/eq4/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429
    Thank you webnine. I wish they did not have that 149 Euro setup fee. That is really too high for me. I really wish hetzner would waive that off. That would make it affordable for mere mortals like me:-)
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    42
    RAM is very easy and painless to upgrade after ordering, so you could always go lower and see how it goes.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eeg3 View Post
    RAM is very easy and painless to upgrade after ordering, so you could always go lower and see how it goes.
    Yeah that's true.
    2GB might be enough, it's hard to say without seeing your current server statistics

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by eeg3 View Post
    RAM is very easy and painless to upgrade after ordering, so you could always go lower and see how it goes.
    But if you upgrade the Ram in a DS3000, it will be a DS5000 or higher and they will charge a higher monthly fee.
    So renting the newer EQ4 is on the long run cheaper and you have much more power.

    If you are outside EU, you don't have to pay the 19% VAT, so their prices are really cheap and perhaps you can afford their setup fee.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    254
    Typically you should have as much ram as your total database size. Now you're currently on 6 gigs ram and have a decent CPU, so as long as your database is smaller than that, you should be fine. But of course more can't hurt, especially if its within your budget.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429
    OK. Here goes:

    Visitors per hour: Approximately 300.
    You can check this one: http://twin-india.org/

    This is the one that gets the most hits.

    Thanks.
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by lemeneid View Post
    Typically you should have as much ram as your total database size. Now you're currently on 6 gigs ram and have a decent CPU, so as long as your database is smaller than that, you should be fine. But of course more can't hurt, especially if its within your budget.
    Thank you lemeneid.

    My total database size at this moment is approx 270 MB.

    What are the recommendations?
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

  10. #10
    If your server is now consuming 4GB when you look at the top, swapping to 2GB server would probably slow the sites, but they would work. It's pretty much depending on SQL usage and too low memory might cause some errors.

    With Hetzner there is only 10 euros price difference between 2GB and 4GB free setup servers, so I would go with that 4GB just in case

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429

    Talking Ordered DS-5000 from Hetzner

    Just ordered from Hetzner, a nice DS-5000 server. Let's see how it all goes:-)
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    506
    Well you ordered already, so see how it goes. If you need more RAM ask them to add it.

    RAM costs are not that high.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    429

    Thumbs up Very fast setup by Hetzner

    Setup took approximately 1.5 hours. Not bad at all:-)

    Server is fast and the control panel is awesome. I was able to install Debian the way I want it.

    Support response time is fast too. I need LARA (their KVM) to configure and install my custom GRSEC kernel. I sent in a request and I got an answer from them in 15 minutes that they will give it to me at the time I want (8 PM tonight) for a few hours for free. So not bad at all.

    The automation there seems to be really nice too. All for this for 50 Euro (Since I am outside EU, I don't need to pay VAT.)

    So from the first looks of it, it seems I will be one happy camper.

    In another thread I have praised Worldstream. Yes they are also very good and polite people. However I pay 59 Euro for their server with 6 GB RAM + APC port for 15 Euro = 74 Euro per month. Yes they have given me APC port for free for a few days but it will all be charged next month.

    However in Hetzner, I can do more things with it using the control panel so that is really cost effective and great.

    In these days of recession, I am going cheap:-)

    As for my server with server.lu, not a single issue with them. Server works perfectly and kernel compile is a breeze. However it costs 89 Euro so not very cost effective for me as I don't need unlimited bandwidth.

    So there we have it, three good providers - one in LU, one in NL and one in Germany. Pick what you like.

    Hopefully Hetzner will be good to me:-)

    I will update or give a new review of Hetzner in a few month's time.
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •